3rd puncture in six weeks

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Rods

3rd puncture in six weeks

Postby Rods » Thu May 11, 2006 11:04 pm

what am i doing wrong at the moment?! I hadn't had any in 4 years, and suddenly I've had 3 in six weeks (2 on the S, and I got one tonight on the blackbird).

:evil:

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri May 12, 2006 8:24 am

Anyone doing any building etc around your folks' place?

I remember a few years ago, getting 2 punctures in the rear tyre on my first 1100R in quick succession. Found out that there had been some building work going on round the corner from my garage where the workmen had obviously not been clearing up after themselves - odd bits of debris such as nails/screws etc lying around. Result - one (or 2) holes in rear tyre. :(

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Fri May 12, 2006 11:34 am

my (no doubt flawed) theory as a puncture veteran:

hot weather = more crap thrown out of windows
hot weather = stickier tyres which can pick up said crap
lack of rain leaves more crap in middle of road etc.etc.

not had one for a while which is tempting fate although after 2 in quick succession a few months back I reckon I'm a bit more cautious on the filtering to the front of the queue at the lights as all the spiky stuff builds up in the middle of the road.

And the tyre is no longer new...

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Mon May 15, 2006 9:20 am

Brand new set of Dunlop Qulifiers on - destined to get a puncture any day now!!!!

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Mon May 15, 2006 9:21 pm

bmwonder wrote:Brand new set of Dunlop Qulifiers on - destined to get a puncture any day now!!!!

SSSShhhhhhhhhhhhh.............

For God's sake don't tell anyone I've just put new RoadAttacks on the S then. Punctures, I 'ate me I do.
Cheers
PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

Rods

Postby Rods » Mon May 15, 2006 9:25 pm

well this has just been compunded by the requirement of a new front wheel (not had a puncture on the front yet :shock: ).

supposed to be taken the bird to france on thursday, but sturggling to get hold of a new wheel before friday morning :evil:

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon May 15, 2006 9:36 pm

Rods wrote:well this has just been compunded by the requirement of a new front wheel (not had a puncture on the front yet :shock: ).

supposed to be taken the bird to france on thursday, but sturggling to get hold of a new wheel before friday morning :evil:

How bad is the kink in your wheel?

If not too bad give Motoliner in Maidstone a bell - they offer a same-day wheel-straightening service and do an excellent job. Much cheaper than a new wheel (about 50 quid if I remember) - and often the case that a properly straightened wheel will be truer than a brand new one.

Rods

Postby Rods » Mon May 15, 2006 9:42 pm

thanks richard, but the chap at micheldever didn't seem to think it was repairable (and i certainly wouldn't have the knowledge to disagree!!). i guess i must have done it on thursday on the way to wycombe from amersham on a pot hole - or there are some nasty speed bumps towards piers and ginas place.

the problem at the moment is time. i've only got a little of wednesday morning to get it sorted, so will probably have to take bm - but you saw my tyres - i don't think they'll last the trip, and it's still got that very small oil leak, and i can't get it into a bm garage to check that until after june 12th :roll:

just one of those things i guess :cry:

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon May 15, 2006 9:48 pm

No worries Tom - I'd certainly wait to get a 2nd opinion on your wheel, whatever the final outcome. The bloke at Motoliner knows his stuff; he straightened the front wheel on my first 1100R after it got rather badly dinged on a pot-hole. If he reckons the 'Bird's wheel won't straighten he'll give you an honest answer. Better to get his opinion for free (or the cost of juice to get you to Maidstone) than fork out 300-ish quid for a new wheel when you may not need one.

Shouldn't worry too much about the oil leak either - having looked at it the other day it's more of a 'mist' on the casing than a leak as such. Any crud on the engine cases will make an oil leak look worse. If it's not getting onto our boots etc when riding, it's not anything to worry about! :D

Rods

Postby Rods » Mon May 15, 2006 9:52 pm

Thanks Richard. Will keep you updated. Have a good week... :wink:

Return to “Boxerbanter”