Cloning

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

fontana

Cloning

Postby fontana » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:38 pm

A friend of mine just told me he got a speeding ticket through the post,
Over 90mph in a 30mph limit.
The thing is the offence took place in Liverpool, and he lives in Dorset, which is where he was at the date / time of the offence.
He got the camera photo with the NIP, which shows the same bike as his, with his registration, but obviously not him riding.
This really is scary.
:shock:

Herb

Re: Cloning

Postby Herb » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:55 pm

It happens. It is surprisingly common for cars. We have had a number of our company vehicles cloned over the years, and you only find out when an offence has been committed.

My company car was cloned a few years back by someone in Manchester. The reg was put on the same model of car and used to steal petrol from a number of garages.

Presumably they saw my car when I was there on business and copied the reg, even easier now with the internet.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:06 pm

Happened to me with a car I had a few years ago - It was parked in the local station car park (in Essex) on the day that the alleged offence took place in Wrexham - I have never been to Wrexham and as far as I know neither had my ca - I wrote and explained and offered evidence that I could provide - Never heard another word from the Welsh police. I suspected that someone at DVLA was selling reg numbers with make and model of car
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Herb

Postby Herb » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:08 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote: I suspected that someone at DVLA was selling reg numbers with make and model of car

Very good!
********Jim********

---------------------------

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

fontana

Postby fontana » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:42 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote: I suspected that someone at DVLA was selling reg numbers with make and model of car

I suppose all you have to do is go on Autotrader or ebay and do a search of the vehicle you want to clone.
If the seller hasn't obscured the number plate, it's quite easy.

Return to “Boxerbanter”