Have BMW really shaken off the pipe and slippers image

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Herb

Re: Have BMW really shaken off the pipe and slippers image

Postby Herb » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:25 pm

BMW has been quite successful attracting a good share of new riders and younger riders (what few there are) with their 800 range of bikes, which certainly don't have an old duffer image. And not to forget the hipsters you so admire, coming to the retro side of the brand. I don't think BMW has an image problem per se, but I do think the industry as a whole does.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

fontana

Postby fontana » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:55 pm

Herb wrote:BMW has been quite successful attracting a good share of new riders and younger riders (what few there are) with their 800 range of bikes, which certainly don't have an old duffer image. And not to forget the hipsters you so admire, coming to the retro side of the brand. I don't think BMW has an image problem per se, but I do think the industry as a whole does.

Just speaking for myself, I don't see these young riders you speak of on the 800's or any BMW other than the S1000's.
BTW according to my local dealers, the F range are poor sellers, but that could be a regional thing.
BMW have expanded their R NINE T range, but again, I don't see the 30 somethings riding them.
I've been to numerous events at my BMW dealership, and with the odd exception, most people are in their late 50's +
I guarantee you that if I go to a similar event at my local multi franchise dealership, I'll see those guys for sure, but I'll see a lot more young riders.
Of course we should never judge the market in the context of our own experiences, so I'd love to see some evidence from BMW themselves showing that their younger rider customer base has expanded.
Let's look at the bikes you guys ride.
The R1100S and 1200S.
Sporty bikes for sure, and a break away from the staid tourers BMW have built their reputation on.
So then, is there anyone here under 50 ?????????????

Herb

Postby Herb » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:59 pm

fontana wrote:So then, is there anyone here under 50 ?????????????

Yes again, but not by much.

45 now, 35 when I bought my 12.
********Jim********

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

fontana

Postby fontana » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:04 pm

Herb wrote:
fontana wrote:So then, is there anyone here under 50 ?????????????

Yes again, but not by much.

45 now, 35 when I bought my 12.

Hmmm
OK,
I was 40 when I bought my first BMW, but was hardly typical.
How many users here under 50 do you think.
I'm prepared to bet not many

This from BMW V.P. Pieter de Waal

“We wanted to bring young people into the BMW Motorrad brand. The current age profile of our customer is worldwide 47, and in America about 50. Our customers age at approximately .7 years per year. That implies that our existing customers keep buying our motorcycles as they get older, but we do not bring many young people into the brand. It’s a major long-term concern.”

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:38 am

22 when I bought my first BMW
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

obelix

Postby obelix » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:47 am

Am i too young then......turning 41 ?
R1100S
1200 V-Max
SF 848
Duke II
Dresda

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 am

dave the german wrote:22 when I bought my first BMW

I leant against my Uncles when I was 22 while posing with my Z1R, does that count Dave ;)

me-1981.jpg
me-1981.jpg (81.07 KiB) Viewed 4166 times
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

fontana

Postby fontana » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:10 am

I was just curious to know how many on this forum are under 50. 2 so far.
:D

Also
What do you guys make of this
lies ?

From BMW V.P. Pieter de Waal

“We wanted to bring young people into the BMW Motorrad brand. The current age profile of our customer is worldwide 47, and in America about 50. Our customers age at approximately .7 years per year. That implies that our existing customers keep buying our motorcycles as they get older, but we do not bring many young people into the brand. It’s a major long-term concern.”

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:31 am

I belong to a small bike club in Essex - which has been going for around 26 / 27 years. The average age of membership is 50.21 . However the age of the regular riders (those that pitch up at most rides out) is 58
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Herb

Postby Herb » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:08 am

fontana wrote:I was just curious to know how many on this forum are under 50. 2 so far.
:D

Also
What do you guys make of this
lies ?

From BMW V.P. Pieter de Waal

No, of course he is not lying. BMW will have the data on their customers, and probably customers for other brands as well. All we have is our own anecdotal data. I see quite a few new riders buying BMW 800's. Many want to progress to the GS as their experience grows because they see themselves as budding adventurists, but percentage wise, compared to other brands I have no idea at all.

This data on its own only tell part of the picture, it needs a frame of reference to be useful. What is the average age of all motorcyclists for example? How do you break this down by class of motorcycle. The average age may be 47, but what is the average age of an S1000rr rider? What is the average age of a GS rider? or a Harley rider?
********Jim********

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

fontana

Postby fontana » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:34 am

Herb wrote:This data on its own only tell part of the picture, it needs a frame of reference to be useful. What is the average age of all motorcyclists for example? How do you break this down by class of motorcycle. The average age may be 47, but what is the average age of an S1000rr rider? What is the average age of a GS rider? or a Harley rider?

True enough.
Actually, I was surprised the average age was as young as 47.
I would have thought for BMW it would have been more like 55, based on what I see.
But then, as you rightly say, today's riders tend to be in the older age group anyway, regardless of brand.
I just think that with the exception of a few bikes, BMW's still tend to market towards the older more mature rider.
The only exceptions are the S1000 models, and possibly the R NINE T although I would argue that the latter are designed to appeal to riders wanting to recapture the 60's and 70's - who again, tend to be older riders.
I just don't think BMW are a young riders brand.
That used to be the case, and I think still is.
I mean the F800, RT, RS, R and GS etc, great bikes though they are, aren't exactly the stuff of boys bedroom posters are they.
They don't capture the imagination.
They're sensible bikes for sensible people.
Nowt wrong with that, but it's still very much the pipe and slippers philosophy of design.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:31 pm

slparry wrote:
dave the german wrote:22 when I bought my first BMW

I leant against my Uncles when I was 22 while posing with my Z1R, does that count Dave ;)

me-1981.jpg

I wish my first BMW was the same as that Steve - my first was an R65 - sometimes get a little nostalgic about it then on Sunday I saw a red R65 on the stand of that other BMW club at the Scottish bike show - think that changed my mind - not sure if it was the bike or the fact it was on the BMW Club stand :wink:
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:56 pm

Well I'm only 47 11/12 :D . Bought my first BM in April 2011. Strange thing is that I almost immediately started putting on weight, farting more and shouting at the telly :oops:

Mike
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

wotmeworry

Postby wotmeworry » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:20 pm

Pointless arguement. It really does not matter. If you enjoy any bike at any age good for you. You are still alive.

Fontana posting is tedious.
HP2 Sport

Yaboo Sucks

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:27 pm

I disagree with that assessment. I think it's a fair observation by Fontana being discussed in a non-confrontational way by the board. Carry on, I'd say.

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Return to “Boxerbanter”