Pooches

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

Pooches

Postby slparry » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:04 pm

a customer came in today with a rough haired jack russell that was blind, having has his eyes removed due to glaucoma.

Such a friendly animal who coped with his disability far better than any human would have.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

popsky

Re: Pooches

Postby popsky » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:20 pm

My mums previous Sealyham had to have both eyes removed due to a genetic condition , she coped very well but as I said to mum they don't know they have lost there vision they just can't see anymore, all the same it's a bit heartbreaking
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:44 pm

popsky wrote:My mums previous Sealyham had to have both eyes removed due to a genetic condition , she coped very well but as I said to mum they don't know they have lost there vision they just can't see anymore, all the same it's a bit heartbreaking

There's a blind cat on my road.
It literally cannot see a thing, but sits outside the owners house every day looking quite content and always comes over for a pat on the head when you call it.

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:27 pm

Many years ago, I went into our local pet store (probably something for our daughter's Guinea pigs). The pet store owner had an ancient red setter. It sat on the floor, facing me, silently opening and closing its mouth.

After serving me and getting my change from the till, the owner turned to the dog and said, "will you shut up barking, you're driving me nuts with all that barking".

It is surprising how animals adapt and cope. Our rescue cat was from a feral cat's litter, and didn't receive the nutrition it needed to grow strong teeth. When we first got the cat, it was a very fussy eater and turned its nose up at most food. On a visit to the vet, she noticed the cat had bad gum disease and said the only cure is to remove all its teeth, which is what she did.

We now have a gummy cat, which has been transformed - a much happier and friendlier critter. It eats anything that's left lying around now, including the dog's dinner if she's a bit slow off the mark getting to it. The cat now needs to go on a diet.

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:41 pm

Talking of cats, a very strange thing happened to me recently.
Our cat died.
It was a huge loss, and then shortly afterwards a stray started hanging around outside our house.
We'd see her trying to get scraps out of the wheely bins.
We took her in one day to feed her and found she was in quite a state.
Very skinny, had clearly been attacked by other cats, and was very scared of people.
So we adopted her, and she's our cat now.
I did eventually find out from someone else on the road that her owners had moved away and just left her behind 6 months before.
Now she's in good health, and has become part of the furniture.

ianbcr

Postby ianbcr » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:36 pm

Good on you fontana and sorry to hear of your first cat dying. I am a dog man myself and until you own such a pet its hard to understand how the death of your beloved pet hits you. I ve got this to come if I out live my dog. Anyone found guilty of cruelty to animals should be strung up.
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

fontana

Postby fontana » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:03 pm

ianbcr wrote:Good on you fontana and sorry to hear of your first cat dying. I am a dog man myself and until you own such a pet its hard to understand how the death of your beloved pet hits you. I ve got this to come if I out live my dog. Anyone found guilty of cruelty to animals should be strung up.

I'm a sucker for cats AND dogs.
The problem is my Wife is terrified of dogs so I can't have one.
Even the most friendly soppy one's her with terror.

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:14 pm

ianbcr wrote:...Anyone found guilty of cruelty to animals should be strung up.

+1

Wouldn't be without our 2 Jack Russells. Such characters and relatively cheap to run too :D Losing our old terrier after 16 1/2 years was bloody heartbreaking, mind :(

Did you adopt the cat Fontana - or did it adopt you?

Mike
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

Herb

Postby Herb » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:59 pm

I'm not sure how true this is, but I remember reading that dogs devote as much of their cognitive power to analysing smell as they do to vision. The loss of sight is less critical to them than it would be to us.

I love my dogs, I have a border terrier and a rescue mongrol.

My wife hated dogs Fontana. She was quite scared of them. It was a risk us getting a terrier but thought we would be ok if we had him as a puppy.

We now have 2 and she is completely over her fear, I have even seen her with big dogs acting in an aggressive manner and she is fine. I had to train the wife a bit in how to handle them but she is confident now.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:23 pm

We always had cats and dogs while growing up.

Now I live on my own I don't have a dog anymore as it's not fair to leave them on their own while I'm in work.

The cats are more independent. I did have 5 at one point but am down to 3 now. With my ginger tom cat being almost like a dog in that he follows me everywhere being my best mate :D
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

fontana

Postby fontana » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:24 pm

Boxermed69 wrote:Did you adopt the cat Fontana - or did it adopt you?

Mike

A bit of both.
We started feeding her every now and then, and pretty soon she just became part of the furniture.
I put notices out with a photo asking if she was anyone's cat, and that's when I got a call from someone telling me the story.
Beggars belief someone would just move house and leave their pet behind.
:x

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:27 pm

fontana wrote:
Boxermed69 wrote:Did you adopt the cat Fontana - or did it adopt you?

Mike

A bit of both.
We started feeding her every now and then, and pretty soon she just became part of the furniture.
I put notices out with a photo asking if she was anyone's cat, and that's when I got a call from someone telling me the story.
Beggars belief someone would just move house and leave their pet behind.

People can be hideous at times. There was a tv program I watched recently and an RSPCA inspector gained access to a flat or house, turns out the previous occupant had just left their dog in the locked house when they left and the animal had been desperately trying to find water and food before it died, the suffering it went through must have been awful. :'(
--
Steve Parry

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:58 pm

slparry wrote:
fontana wrote:...Beggars belief someone would just move house and leave their pet behind.

People can be hideous at times. There was a tv program I watched recently and an RSPCA inspector gained access to a flat or house, turns out the previous occupant had just left their dog in the locked house when they left and the animal had been desperately trying to find water and food before it died, the suffering it went through must have been awful. :'(

Absolute fuckers. Deserve the same treatment. I cannot fathom how a person could consciously make the decision to do such a thing and then blithely move on without a worry. I guess some folk just aren't wired right. They must think of the animal as just another inanimate possession for casting aside on a whim :angry4:

And breathe....

Mike
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

fontana

Postby fontana » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:26 pm

Boxermed69 wrote:Absolute fuckers. Deserve the same treatment. I cannot fathom how a person could consciously make the decision to do such a thing and then blithely move on without a worry. I guess some folk just aren't wired right. They must think of the animal as just another inanimate possession for casting aside on a whim :angry4:

And breathe....

Mike

Well at least for this cat, there was a happy outcome.
She's got a good home

Return to “Boxerbanter”