Shades of the ST....

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

milleplod

Shades of the ST....

Postby milleplod » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:07 am

The new 1290 Super Adventure.....love that headlight! :D If only it had shaft drive....

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

slparry

Re: Shades of the ST....

Postby slparry » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:21 am

Took one out last year Pete, and it was awesome .... but as you say flawed by not having shaft.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

fontana

Postby fontana » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:01 am

slparry wrote: but as you say flawed by not having shaft.

As is the BMW XR1200

popsky

Postby popsky » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:08 pm

milleplod wrote:The new 1290 Super Adventure.....love that headlight! :D If only it had shaft drive....

Pete

Sorry :pukeright:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Herb

Postby Herb » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:45 pm

I used to think shaft drive was desirable for certain classes of bikes. Now I am not so sure.

If my final drive fails, then end of holiday, my bike is probably going home on a flatbed.

If your chain fails (most unlikely with properly maintained modern chains), then unless you are extremely unlucky and hole a case, your should be able to get back on the road with a some assistance from a local dealer.

Chains are no longer messy and unreliable anymore.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:15 pm

Our club chairman (Known as "Stupid Boy") is on his second 1190 KTM - unfortunately for him and his wife they are both short of stature - even two up he can only get both feet down on tip toe and has to park next to a kerb for his missus to climb aboard - however he does love the power and does use it. I have to say though its his third KTM (previous KTM was a Duke) and the 7th KTM that has been owned by club members (2 more Dukes and 2 SMC's) and a and I have to say that the black and orange colour scheme always looks grubby even when its clean and looks awful when it is dirty. Orange and white of the SMC's was much better.

* So if you like a shiny bike don't by one and
* if you are shorter than about 5ft 8in its going to be a stretch to put your foot down.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:19 pm

Herb wrote:I used to think shaft drive was desirable for certain classes of bikes. Now I am not so sure.

If my final drive fails, then end of holiday, my bike is probably going home on a flatbed.

If your chain fails (most unlikely with properly maintained modern chains), then unless you are extremely unlucky and hole a case...and it doesn't have you off the bike, your should be able to get back on the road with a some assistance from a local dealer.

I added a bit for you! :lol:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Herb

Postby Herb » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:43 pm

milleplod wrote:
Herb wrote:I used to think shaft drive was desirable for certain classes of bikes. Now I am not so sure.

If my final drive fails or catches fire, then end of holiday, my bike is probably going home on a flatbed.

If your chain fails (most unlikely with properly maintained modern chains), then unless you are extremely unlucky and hole a case...and it doesn't have you off the bike, [or take off your leg as it flails at high speed] your should be able to get back on the road with a some assistance from a local dealer.

I added a bit for you! :lol:

Pete

2 can play at that game.
********Jim********

---------------------------

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:17 pm

:lol: :lol:
Nocto Diuque Venamur

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:58 pm

fontana wrote:
slparry wrote: but as you say flawed by not having shaft.

As is the BMW XR1200

I assume you mean the S1000XR? Not so much as it's a full on sports bike engine aimed at adventure sports. The KTM, like the GS's being more adventure touring bikes are more suited to shaft .... just an opinion YMMV
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

SP250

Postby SP250 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:58 pm

XR1200 is a Harley isn't it? - maybe we've found out that Fontana is a secret tractor lover..................
John M

fontana

Postby fontana » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:39 pm

slparry wrote:I assume you mean the S1000XR?

Yes.
Even though I made a mistake with my placement of XR, the giveaway was preceding it with BMW

slparry wrote:Not so much as it's a full on sports bike engine aimed at adventure sports. The KTM, like the GS's being more adventure touring bikes are more suited to shaft .... just an opinion YMMV

So to be clear.
You're saying that chain drive is unsuitable for adventure riding.

Could you elaborate

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:56 am

fontana wrote:
slparry wrote:I assume you mean the S1000XR?

Yes.
Even though I made a mistake with my placement of XR, the giveaway was preceding it with BMW

slparry wrote:Not so much as it's a full on sports bike engine aimed at adventure sports. The KTM, like the GS's being more adventure touring bikes are more suited to shaft .... just an opinion YMMV

So to be clear.
You're saying that chain drive is unsuitable for adventure riding.

Could you elaborate

No you're saying that.

I said " adventure touring bikes are MORE suited to shaft .... just an opinion YMMV" and for clarity in your argumentative world ...... yes chain, belt and possibly fairy dust may all function well for touring however part of the reason the GS has proven so popular as a package is the shaft offers a relatively maintenance free touring package. Now I'm assuming you're a reasonably intelligent adult so why is it that everyone else can work these various items out but you require it to be an argument?

Oh and yes I own a smaller GS that is chain drive, as well as 4 other bikes that are shaft drive. And yes I've toured with chain drive bikes, and yes I'm aware of KTM's, Multistradas etc but shaft makes a tour that bit easier with not having to check adjustments, oiling cleaning and many shaft drive bikes have single sided swing arms that makes wheel removal for tyre changes/punctures easier to deal with.

Add in unmade roads, like say the Dawson highway, with grit that would give a chain a harder time than shaft and it's easy to see why many riders choose shaft drive large cc adventure tourers be they GS's, Triumph Explorer, Yam S10 etc
--
Steve Parry

fontana

Postby fontana » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:33 am

slparry wrote:I said " adventure touring bikes are MORE suited to shaft .... just an opinion YMMV" and for clarity in your argumentative world ...... yes chain, belt and possibly fairy dust may all function well for touring however part of the reason the GS has proven so popular as a package is the shaft offers a relatively maintenance free touring package. Now I'm assuming you're a reasonably intelligent adult so why is it that everyone else can work these various items out but you require it to be an argument?

Oh and yes I own a smaller GS that is chain drive, as well as 4 other bikes that are shaft drive. And yes I've toured with chain drive bikes, and yes I'm aware of KTM's, Multistradas etc but shaft makes a tour that bit easier with not having to check adjustments, oiling cleaning and many shaft drive bikes have single sided swing arms that makes wheel removal for tyre changes/punctures easier to deal with.

Well, first let's be clear on what made the GS so popular for so called adventure riding.
It had less to do with being shaft drive, and more to do with product placement, in the form of TV series call the long way around.
We all know this, so please, let's not insult anyone's intelligence by denying it.
Even BMW will tell you that it was this programme that led to the huge success of the GS range.
Originally, they were going to use KTM bikes, but that fell through as I understand it, because KTM decided not to support it.
For you to suggest otherwise, then say that any intelligent adult person believes that people chose the BMW just because of it's final drive set up, is laughable.

slparry wrote:Add in unmade roads, like say the Dawson highway, with grit that would give a chain a harder time than shaft and it's easy to see why many riders choose shaft drive large cc adventure tourers be they GS's, Triumph Explorer, Yam S10 etc

As regards unmade roads, actually if you speak to anyone who knows about off road riding, they'll tell you that the GS is far to big and heavy to be taken seriously in this environment.
Look at the bikes that are used for serious off roading, and I guarantee you won't see many shaft driven bikes among them.
The Paris Dakar rally for example.
You might like to correct me, but as far as I know, chain driven bikes do quite well in this event, despite it being one of the most punishing environments for a motorcycle to function in.
I'm not disagreeing that shaft drive has it's advantages in terms of maintenance, but to suggest that chain should be ruled out in favour of shaft drive for mild off roading, is frankly a bit naïve.
Last edited by fontana on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:07 am

Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Return to “Boxerbanter”