If there is one complaint I have re R11s

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

bfisher

If there is one complaint I have re R11s

Postby bfisher » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:15 pm

It's the useless side stand... my own fault today as I loaded a pannier on my far side, hopped off bike momentary only to turn around and see it lying on its side.....teach me for loading the wrong side...saved by both the guards on the heads & the very large rear end (aka touring panniers)....but back to that useless side stand that I will look to shorted by 5-10mm.

As for guard covers, or rather header paint jobs (sure there is a joke somewhere in that statement), I don't want to over customise but I do like the look of the black header with a coloured cover:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/attachments/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/8139d1040167691-cylinder-head-protectors-myguards.jpg

SP250

Re: If there is one complaint I have re R11s

Postby SP250 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:41 pm

Don't shorten the side stand - get a GS shorter rear torque arm and fit that.
Jacks up the rear ride height and makes the steering slightly quicker and the bike leans over more on the sidestand so it doesnt fall over - win win.
John M

fontana

Postby fontana » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:01 am

If it's any consolation the R1100RS suffers exactly the same issue.
Sits far too upright on the sidestand.

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:07 pm

SP250 wrote:Don't shorten the side stand - get a GS shorter rear torque arm and fit that.
Jacks up the rear ride height and makes the steering slightly quicker and the bike leans over more on the sidestand so it doesnt fall over - win win.

:headbang:
Real torque curves don't have a first derivative. :-^)

er-minio

Postby er-minio » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:40 pm

If it's any consolation the R1100RS suffers exactly the same issue.

Boxercup was the opposite, due to different height.
Had the bike almost tip over (on the sidestand side) a couple of times when traveling with heavy panniers. :alien:
R1150R '03 (in pieces)
R1200GS '07 Adv
HP2 Sport '11
[I'm the biggest limit on my bike]

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:11 pm

SP250 wrote:Don't shorten the side stand - get a GS shorter rear torque arm and fit that.

Which year / model exactly do you get ?

Where is best place to get one ?
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

bfisher

Postby bfisher » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:42 pm

@gerryb

the R1100S models the shorter 365mm arm (33 17 2 314 179) is only used if the bike has the OEM 'Sport' suspension, otherwise it gets the standard 385mm (33 17 2 312 549). Checkout ebay or ask on the 'for sale' forum on boxertrix.

I have one of these but wanted to ride as-is for a while to enable me to judge the impact of this change...there are plenty of options as well adjustable paralevers. You can also change the telelever as well (see offers from @beachcomber ) : similar effect as I understand but not sure it has benefit of helping me with the sidestand moans ;) Double the two up & I think you get even more aggressive (better?) performance??

An attraction for me with the r1100s is all these tweaks, irrespective of the true perf gain....not sure all bikes offer this much opportunity....

B

fontana

Postby fontana » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:03 pm

bfisher wrote:@gerryb

the R1100S models the shorter 365mm arm (33 17 2 314 179) is only used if the bike has the OEM 'Sport' suspension, otherwise it gets the standard 385mm (33 17 2 312 549). Checkout ebay or ask on the 'for sale' forum on boxertrix.

I have one of these but wanted to ride as-is for a while to enable me to judge the impact of this change...there are plenty of options as well adjustable paralevers. You can also change the telelever as well (see offers from @beachcomber ) : similar effect as I understand but not sure it has benefit of helping me with the sidestand moans ;) Double the two up & I think you get even more aggressive (better?) performance??

An attraction for me with the r1100s is all these tweaks, irrespective of the true perf gain....not sure all bikes offer this much opportunity....

B

Seems a lot of effort just for parking.
I'd be more inclined to have the sidestand shortened by a a few mm
Can't be that hard

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:40 am

bfisher wrote:@gerryb

B

I fitted the shorter stay arm while trying to resolve my "S"'s tendency to understeer. Gave a noticeable improvement. Problem completely solved with a Road Pilot 4 on the front. :D

Al

Postby Al » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:58 am

Gerry, are you thinking about doing this to your Red bike? My old bike has the sports suspension so check the length of the arm, as it may already be the shorter one, but I always thought it was the later RWB Boxercup bikes that had the shorter arm fitted.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:39 pm

Al wrote:Gerry, are you thinking about doing this to your Red bike? My old bike has the sports suspension so check the length of the arm, as it may already be the shorter one, but I always thought it was the later RWB Boxercup bikes that had the shorter arm fitted.

Al.

Al, I was looking at the red bike , the joint on the prop shaft to wheel just looked a little pronounced .
A slightly shorter arm would straighten the angle of the joint slightly .

Your old bike is fine , definitely marginally taller than the red BMW .

Some one said they like the bike handling with the back end jacked up via a shorter arm .

Yes, in slow twisties , it is a handful , however on faster sweepers , I think the standard handling is fantastic .

Having raced all sorts of bikes in all sorts of conditions, I prefer a lazier steering .

I guess at the end of the day , different strokes for different folks .
Old man ... now .

Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

bfisher

Postby bfisher » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:21 pm

Shortened GS telelever fitted tonight... quick 'shakedown' ride in prep for a ride tomorrow... who would have thought 10mm could make such a difference. . . it generally makes the steering that much lighter & faster... AND i know have a little less nervousness when on side-stand... NOT a bad outcome for £15 & 15mins work. . . WHY it was default i will never know.

B

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:42 am

bfisher wrote:Shortened GS telelever fitted tonight... quick 'shakedown' ride in prep for a ride tomorrow... who would have thought 10mm could make such a difference. . . it generally makes the steering that much lighter & faster... AND i know have a little less nervousness when on side-stand... NOT a bad outcome for £15 & 15mins work. . . WHY it was default i will never know.

B

:headbang:

Return to “Boxerbanter”