Olivers Mount

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Topcat

Olivers Mount

Postby Topcat » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:50 am

Off to Olivers mount in a week or so for the Barry Sheene festival, it looked a good meeting to try for our first visit, middle of the year and maybe not as full on as the other meetings, we’ll see.

So, any tips as to where to watch from, get there early or not, bring your own food, that sort of thing. Any advice gratefully received. (B&B all booked so that’s sorted)

We are going for a week, Tuesday to Tuesday so any suggestions as to places to visit in the area also very welcome, doesn’t have to be bike related, just holiday stuff. Thinking of hiring a car on the Thursday for a tour around the area, figure it may be easier than doing the tourist thing with all the bike gear.

Thanks chaps
Dave

Corvus

Re: Olivers Mount

Postby Corvus » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:36 pm

Topcat wrote:Off to Olivers mount in a week or so for the Barry Sheene festival, it looked a good meeting to try for our first visit, middle of the year and maybe not as full on as the other meetings, we’ll see.

So, any tips as to where to watch from, get there early or not, bring your own food, that sort of thing. Any advice gratefully received. (B&B all booked so that’s sorted)

We are going for a week, Tuesday to Tuesday so any suggestions as to places to visit in the area also very welcome, doesn’t have to be bike related, just holiday stuff. Thinking of hiring a car on the Thursday for a tour around the area, figure it may be easier than doing the tourist thing with all the bike gear.

Thanks chaps
Dave

You can move freely about. So just pick a spot and then circumnavigate.

It's a bloody narrow track and you can get within 3 feet of the edge. The 1000s are breathtaking, yes. But my favourites, on this course, are the super twins and the sidecars. Watch the sidecars at the hairpin. It's a proper laugh. The power delivery/level of the suoertwins is better suited to this very narrow circuit. Plus the noise somehow seems to suit the narrowness.

Some great riding roads thereabouts too, but watch for radar and unmarked bikes on race day in particular. I

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:25 pm

There are some great routes to ride. Basically just pick the yellow or white roads on the map and avoid the blue, and green ones. :D

If you let us know what kind of thing you woukd look for. Eg walking, steam trains, waterfalls. Castles etc I can rattle off some places.

Scarborough itself is ok, but whitby is better. Just busy. Epic scones in Ravenscar (but absolutely nothing else) Good cliff walk from there to robin hoods bay, and on to whitby if you're fit.

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:16 pm

Thanks Corvus,

Steam trains sounds fun, not a train fan as such but enjoy the odd one how and then.

We had planned to go to Whitby ( think I've been before but it was a works night out when working in Sunderland a few years ago so can't remember much :oops: )

Cheers

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:37 pm

Topcat wrote:Thanks Corvus,

Steam trains sounds fun, not a train fan as such but enjoy the odd one how and then.

We had planned to go to Whitby ( think I've been before but it was a works night out when working in Sunderland a few years ago so can't remember much :oops: )

Cheers

Steam trains.

There's the North Yorkshire line from Pickering to egton bridge via grosmont and goathland. Goathland is a very picturesque station and village. I think They've started occasionally running the steam trains right into Whitby, but not sure how regular this is.

The worth valley line from keighley to oxenhope via oakworth and Haworth. Nothing to recommend keighley but the station is retro. The other three stations are all nice and evocative. You're in bronte country here and the scenery is very different to the moors over Whitby.

As you're in scarborogh it would be mad not to see robin hoods bay, if you've never been. As quaint as they come.

How many weeks did you say you had? :D

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:50 pm

Biker tea stops.

Lots of bikes go into Whitby. There's parking and a cafe next to the station, but the other main ones are Helmsley, leyburn, hawes and devils bridge.

Helmsley a quaint market town not far from Scarborough. Castle there. Rievaux abbey nearby. The road out of Helmsley towards rievaux is a cracker. The roads out to byland abbey are good. (Ps there's a castle in Pickering)

Leyburn. Manor cafe on outskirts of village heading towards Richmond. Good riding from Helmsley.

Hawes. Nice village. Best route from leyburn is backroad via redmire past Bolton castle and via hardraw.

Devils bridge. Loads of bikes gather here. Picturesque area. Roads from hawes are brilliant. Via sedburgh. Fast backroads. From Devils bridge some good riding over trough of bowland or you could head for ingleton and do the waterfalls walk. I love my riding so I'd stay in the saddle. :D (on the saddle in my case)

If you want any more suggestions of good roads no problem.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:18 pm

For me it has to be Filey Bay. Coble landing. Dressed Crab. No minging crowds like Shitby and Wcarborough, plus you can get the train to get there.

lealholm, Egton Bridge (Harry Potter fame) Danby (castle there too) Castleton, The Lion Inn Blakey Ridge. The other Yorkshire Dales that seem to get usurped by the ones on the west side of the A19 (dunno why) Westerdale, Commondale Newtondale, Rosedale, Eskdale, may have missed one.

Man you are spoilt for choice!

Oh, Ruswarp if you fancy a bit of Boating on the Esk and Sleights for good fish and chips without queues or being divebombed by the fat gullies that frequent aforementioned main resorts.

Got to mention Castle Howard definitely worth a visit.

Have a great time,

I have lived in Whitby, Scarborough and Bridlington.... got run out of town in all three of them :wink:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:44 pm

boxerscott wrote:

......I have lived in Whitby, Scarborough and Bridlington.... :

And you liked it that much you moved to Scotland. :D :D

Actually, can't blame you for that. Just come back from a B roads trip to Moffat and the roads are epic for motorcycling. That good that the rain seems to fade into the background.

I know you lot know, but I got to put a plug in for Dave and clint at the buccleuch arms hotel. Those guys and their people go out of their way for you. Great steaks and burgers to boot.

Al

Postby Al » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:48 am

Long time since we bave been, do they still have the war with the model boats in Peasholm park. First time we went in 76 or77 we went across the Humber on the ferry, remember going to Thornton dale on the moors, really pretty village . Love the circuit but must be a bit scary on todays machinery.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:09 pm

Al wrote:
.....do they still have the war with the model boats in Peasholm park. First time we went in 76 or77......

Al.

Blimey that does take me back. Me dad used to take us
Would have been mid 60s. The screaming jap planes on wires used to make me little sister cry. :D

They had a mini steam train used to run you out to the little fair ground.

What a brilliant memory. Thanks for reminding me.

I'm answer to your question Peasholm park is still there but I don't know about the battleships or the train or the water chute thingy or the paddle boats (come in number 99.... Hang on we only have 70 boats. Number 66 are you in trouble?). I think.the fairground was turned into a sea life Centre.

hobbit

Postby hobbit » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:00 pm

Nice pub at levisham on North york moors, castle howard isn't too far, york and beverly nice towns, robins hood bay and runswick bay are scenic coastal villages.

All the delights of Peasholm park still there, battles in lake are at weekends only i think. mini train goes from peasholm park to sealife centre £3 single each.

Gavin

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:12 pm

Thanks for all the replies, some great info.

Looking forward to it now, weather is looking better as well.

Dave

roadburner

Postby roadburner » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:51 pm

just seen this post. was there last night and today. racing wasn't the best , but had a blinding weekend. main problem was the other half didn't want to go up and down the hill so viewing was mainly limited to the top of the circuit, i would have preferred to spend more time down at the first hairpin. really good atmosphere and paddock was nice and oldschool and the racers were really into the whole thing and all gave us loads of time

Return to “Boxerbanter”