R1200RS

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:19 pm

Both of those look very nice and agree with above - first new BM for me to have interest in (apart from a GS - sorry :oops: )
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Al

Postby Al » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:43 pm

Could be a very short conversation Ryan :lol:

P.S Can I have first dibs on your GS if she say YES.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

f90x

Postby f90x » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:43 pm

Gromit wrote:Looks v nice - and I agree with Peter in that it's the first remotely decent-looking BMW for a long, long time.

The trouble is they sold-out with the return to conventional indicator controls a while ago, and now they've whimped out with the front forks.

^^
This.

I really like the look of it but it's a shame about the forks as I love the telelever and I love that BMW's are a bit left field. For now...
And I mentioned the indicator thing to the main dealer the other week and he shrugged his shoulders.
For me, BMW are turning Japanese. They've had a taste of bigger sales with more mainstream ((albeit damned good) machines and I think it's the beginning of the end for BMW as we know them. I think I'd have one of these though.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:29 pm

Maybe we'll see a glut of R1100s and R1200s on the second market next year !
This is probably the most appealing bike to that market since the 1100s went out of production. I say that because, although the 12 is a great bike ( I have one) it does not have the pillion and luggage capability of the 11.

I certainly like the look of it - apart from the enormous panniers - and it would appeal. Like others shame that the funky and effective tele lever has been cast out by the marketing department ( undoubtedly) as a way of appealing to a mass audience and why wouldn't you want to use your left hand to indicate left and right to indicate right ? Just too sensible for some !!

Anyways - all the more reason to go to the NEC and have a look... :D

PS - HP2 sport performance now only mediocre as there must be about 5 models with superior performance, and that can also carry enough for a weekend away, so prices might start to fall ( light blue touch paper and stand back) :lol:

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:14 pm

Hmm, well I didn't see that coming, was expecting an R1200ST, but this looks ok
Likes: shaft drive, boxer motor, weather protection, bigger panniers.

Dislikes: price (ok I'm guessing) pannier rails ( why can't they integrate them into the styling ala Honda and Ktm ), Ridiculously long reg plate carrier/ reflector, just make the seat unit longer and incorporate a little under seat storage, why have they done away with the front indicators in the mirror housing? ( I understand why these last 2 points would apply to full on sports bikes as they would be easily removed for a track day, but on a ST?)

Still, this could be my next bike but, I would wait for the inevitable HP edition, and then I would wait a couple of years for that to become an affordable used buy :lol:

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

1200boxer

Postby 1200boxer » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:30 pm

Gorgeous but without the telelever,I don't know.I doubt it'll handle better than the 1200S.I'm keeping mine,it's paid for and it's a fantastic bike.

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:24 am

1200 Boxer,

Agreed - let's start a bring back the 1200S campaign ... with Telelever :D

Fw190

Postby Fw190 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:41 am

maybe they'll suprise us with an S version... hmmm I like the R though, the RS is a good looking bike eh... I'll get to see it at EICMA next month as I'm there for work :roll:

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:49 am

The way I see it (rightly or wrongly) is that BMW have just produced a totally 'normal' motorcycle which just happens to have a Boxer motor. The thing which made previous bikes different - and truly great IME - was that wonderful front end. Even if I did have the money for this new RS, I wouldn't have one for that very reason. Not having a centrestand either?

After 60k miles on the Blackbird, I still missed the BMW indicator switchgear.

McBoxer

Postby McBoxer » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:41 am

RoLoo posted this link on Pelican to the BMW press site that includes many, many more pictures. Enjoy - and thanks, RoLoo!

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/pressDetail.html?title=the-new-bmw-r-1200-rs&outputChannelId=6&id=T0193390EN&left_menu_item=node__9644
Big Scottish Al

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:51 pm

f90x wrote:
For me, BMW are turning Japanese. They've had a taste of bigger sales with more mainstream ((albeit damned good) machines and I think it's the beginning of the end for BMW as we know them. I think I'd have one of these though.

I think the problem for people like us is that BMW need to sell more bikes, and we ain`t buying enough, so they need to get people off there Jap bikes.....and becoming more mainstream, with the addition of the `badge`is the only way forward.

The new R1200Rs I like, no Telelever is a shame but would not put me off, (anyone who`s followed PB on his `normal` shock Honda knows there`s nowt wrong with the way they work,. :) ) what would stop me buying one is possibly the looks, it just doesn`t look special to me.

I`ve been seriously looking at the new VFR800 recently, but just can`t bring myself to sign the paperwork, at first I thought just as well now this is out, but on reflection I think I would rather have a R1200S in my garage, it just looks a bit more special....that`s if I could bear to part with Betty!.... :D

Steve

mrjon

Postby mrjon » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:16 pm

It looks like a nice bike. I was trying to think why it looked strangely familiar for a new bike then I realised it's roughly speaking a boxer powered K16GT.
GSA lc
HP4 carbon
HP2 sport
BCR

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:09 pm

I do like it but can appreciate the criticism - having recently purchased the same model VFR as Richard, I have mentioned to him that I prefer the BM indicators. Wonder what the price will be? I thought about this today and cannot fathom out why a super hyper sportsbike such as the ss1000rr can compete price wise with the Japs but an old modified agricultural boxer engine costs so much - have Ewan and Charly really pushed the prices up that much? I would love to get a new bike next year and wouldn't rule out the RS - would love a GS but I know I wouldn't be taking it off road so the RS may be just the bike - or keep the money and use the VFR and Boxercup!!
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:17 pm

If it had the telelever forks- perhaps many on here would have it as the do-it-all bike?

I must also admit that the traditional BMW indicator controls - make more sense to me.

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:33 pm

Blackal wrote:If it had the telelever forks- perhaps many on here would have it as the do-it-all bike?

I must also admit that the traditional BMW indicator controls - make more sense to me.

Al

Me too, but sadly every single road test the journos whinged about them, which translates to a negative for purchasers so I can understand why they've "conformed", still a shame tho'

Thing is journos have a prob with them because they're jumping from bike to bike, owners soon adapt and most prefer, but the marketers must be appeased :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Return to “Boxerbanter”