Versys 650

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Archie

Postby Archie » Fri May 16, 2014 8:01 pm

Gromit wrote:
dave the german wrote:the process of elimination has started!! I see Big Rob's looking more tempting!!! :wink:

Either that or a newer Blackbird, Dave. :)

How about a nice sensible KTM? :lol:

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri May 16, 2014 8:56 pm

Archie wrote:
How about a nice sensible KTM? :lol:

Now there's an oxymoron. :D

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sat May 17, 2014 3:21 am

I have to agree with the cheap feel Richard, but mine was only £5300 with the panniers and while I would have had no hesitation in going touring with it, it was really only a get to work bike. The 1000 has never interested me as I'm not a fan of 4s (watch the "my other bike is" space, hopefully in a few weeks time :oops: ). I always wished they'd made a 975 triple
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sat May 17, 2014 8:27 am

I guess only £5.3k for a new bike, including luggage, isn't to be sniffed at. The Versys is £6.6k as standard although I would guess there should be room for movement on that price, or some optional extras to be included.

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Sat May 17, 2014 8:29 am

dave the german wrote:I have to agree with the cheap feel Richard, but mine was only £5300 with the panniers and while I would have had no hesitation in going touring with it, it was really only a get to work bike. The 1000 has never interested me as I'm not a fan of 4s (watch the "my other bike is" space, hopefully in a few weeks time :oops: ). I always wished they'd made a 975 triple

+1

I also agree that one could never describe the finish or general feel as "rolls Royce", but then it's a budget bike. I can't remember what I paid for mine new, but can't remember it being five grand. I enjoyed the bike. It more than stepped up to the mark in terms of expected performance for the duty required and, at the end of the day, the feel and finish is probably pretty much on a par with other bikes in the class. You pays yer money, you takes yer choice.

I really like the Beemer 800 parallel twins, but I don't think the quality of finish particularly outstanding. I've lost touch with the costs of new bikes, but at the time there was little to touch the versys at the price new for the job in hand. Things have probably swung in favour of the European bikes at the present time?

Dave t G's next addition? I'll guess at a yamaha triple.

I wish gromit success in finding the right bike. He's a lucky fellah. It's a great feeling having a wad of cash and bikes to test out.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sat May 17, 2014 9:02 am

Thanks Corvus - although I don't really have a wad of cash to splash. Any new bike would be bought on a 0% deal (after some tough negotiating on the final price) or a used one up to around £3.5k. Saying that, it's surprising the amount of really nice stuff out there for that kind of money.

At the moment, the Fazer 1000 at the shop in Lincoln is very appealing - I'm not exaggerating when I say it looks nigh-on brand new. The previous owner's definitely in the Bob (Boxadog) Class of owner-fastidiousness. :)

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Sat May 17, 2014 7:44 pm

Gromit wrote:At the moment, the Fazer 1000 at the shop in Lincoln is very appealing - :)

"Gromit"] but to be honest now it's just so unecessary and I'd probably enjoy bimbling around on something with...

1. Less power
2. More comfort
3. More fun-factor on back roads (of which there are absolutely loads in Lincs)
4. Better fuel economy

Back to the start of this thread , is the fazer power output not similar to the Bird? :wink:

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sat May 17, 2014 9:46 pm

nab 301 wrote:
Back to the start of this thread , is the fazer power output not similar to the Bird? :wink:

Well spotted Nigel - you've uncovered the glaring flaw in my plan. :D

I think the Fazer's about 130-ish on a good day with the Blackbird around 160 (crank). In the Fazer's favour its power probably isn't as accessible as on the BB due to the fact that it isn't as slippery/protective at speed. The problem - if it is a problem - is that the Honda hides its speed so well. I recently rode an '06 Fireblade for a short spin and yes it's probably as quick as the Bird in a straight line, but 90mph feels like 90mph because the motor's rasping away and the chassis is so 'wired'.

On the Bird, 90mph feels like 50. Added to the fact that at 90mph there's simply no engine vibration at all, not even a hint of it. The only patch of vibes is at 70-75mph in top gear (ie around 4000 rpm) which is why I cruise at the legal limit in 5th.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sun May 18, 2014 3:41 am

On the Bird, 90mph feels like 50. Added to the fact that at 90mph there's simply no engine vibration at all, not even a hint of it. The only patch of vibes is at 70-75mph in top gear (ie around 4000 rpm) which is why I cruise at the legal limit in 5th.[/quote]

Hmm, and somehow don't think "I was only exceeding the speed limit cos the motor is a little vibey at 70 officer" would work would it
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun May 18, 2014 7:56 am

dave the german wrote:Hmm, and somehow don't think "I was only exceeding the speed limit cos the motor is a little vibey at 70 officer" would work would it

Spot on Dave - it did cross my mind once but thought better of it.

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Sun May 18, 2014 10:59 am

To throw in another suggestion, what about a 1250 Bandit?

I picked one up to replace a 600 version that’s getting a bit old to commute on. £3.5k for an 08 plate with 8000 miles. Just seen one on Autotrader for £2.6K (see link)- bugger!

Very pleased with mine, taking it up to London this afternoon to complete the swap over. It's a lot of bike for the money.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun May 18, 2014 11:05 am

Topcat wrote:To throw in another suggestion, what about a 1250 Bandit?

I picked one up to replace a 600 version that’s getting a bit old to commute on. £3.5k for an 08 plate with 8000 miles. Just seen one on Autotrader for £2.6K (see link)- bugger!

Very pleased with mine, taking it up to London this afternoon to complete the swap over. It's a lot of bike for the money.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Thanks for the link TC - that does look like a big lump of metal for the money. Get the dealer to do the C&S's (the chain is covered in rust in the photos - bad drills!) and it'd be a very good buy. Good colour too and bog standard.

Isn't the 1250 motor a bit bland though? Obviously perfect for everyday use but maybe lacking a bit of character perhaps?

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Sun May 18, 2014 1:21 pm

What about an older (better looking) 650 vstrom? Or even a 1000 vstrom?

That v-twin is a very nice engine. :) I had a green and black gladius that I bought new for 4k. It was a very nice bike, but the finish took a pounding for the one winter I had it (used every day though, and never washed as we lived in a flat with a shared underground car park).

Probably as budget feeling as the Kawasaki, but a boat load cheaper. Did i mention the engine is awesome? ;)
----------------------------------------------
Steve.

1980 R100S
2003 VFR 800
A Silly Van.

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Sun May 18, 2014 4:07 pm

''Isn't the 1250 motor a bit bland though? Obviously perfect for everyday use but maybe lacking a bit of character perhaps?''

The motor makes about 100bhp but the way it rides it feels like 130!

Stick it in sixth and twist the throttle, the thing just rockets away. Use the gears and it's even better!

Not a quick as the BB but very easy to use. I would say it more than matches my R12 for grunt.

Just got into London after a 160 mile on it, great trip and great fun.

True, the bike may be a bit bland but for 2.6k....

All depends on what you want the bike for. Main reason I changed 600 for the 1250 was that the 600 was way to buzzy on the trip to and from London. 80mph on the 600 = about 8000rpm. on the 1250, 110mph = 5000rpm! I'm looking forward to see how it performs on the commute into the city tomorrow.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun May 18, 2014 7:38 pm

TC - to be fair (to you) I've never ridden a 1250 so can't comment from experience, it was from a friend who'd ridden one. It would appear the bike just has a solid wall of torque from tickover which remains flat pretty much all the way through, with no power step at all. I'll bet it's an ideal 'road' engine and for the job you're using it for pretty much perfect. I think I read a test Jamie Whitham did of the Bandit where he described it was pretty much one of the most responsive production bikes, straight off the throttle, that he'd ridden.

Reason I like the Blackbird's motor so much is that it does have reasonable shove below 5000 rpm (and you can ride around briskly without taking it over that) but it lights up above 6000-6500rpm and by 7000rpm it's really motoring. Even sounds good too through the airbox.

Return to “Boxerbanter”