I'm sorry my life is less important than your phone call ...

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

I'm sorry my life is less important than your phone call ...

Postby slparry » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:15 am

--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

skiddy boxers

Postby skiddy boxers » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:35 am

On the face of it no! but it's not the whole story is it? Nothing told about the driver of the mini that run the red light causing the collision. :?
Nick

When life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:53 pm

Not sure....

legally your allowed to use a hands free in the car, and someone else caused her to 'mount the curb' by running a red light.

There's no way you can say that if she wasn't on the phone, she'd have seen the guy jump the light and stopped. It's also not her responsibility to allow for others misusing the highway code and jumping lights anyway.

I think she got the careless driving charge because she was over the speed limit.... The phone has nothing to do with it, it's just media hype.

In my opinion anyway. :?
----------------------------------------------
Steve.

1980 R100S
2003 VFR 800
A Silly Van.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:25 pm

She was approaching lights 6 mph over the speed limit? surely she should have been below the limit prepared to stop if the lights changed?
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:18 pm

Tragic, no doubt, but that just screams sensationalist press diverting attention because she was on the phone at the time. Yeah, inappropriate speed played a part and she probably got a fair punishment. Yeah, I agree that even hands free phones hamper concentration, but they are still legal. Barely a mention of the prick who jumped the lights. Using the death of children like this - despicable journalism. Exactly why I gave up reading so-called newspapers. Feckin tosspots :evil:

Mike.
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

f90x

Postby f90x » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:52 am

Boxermed69 wrote:Tragic, no doubt, but that just screams sensationalist press diverting attention because she was on the phone at the time. Yeah, inappropriate speed played a part and she probably got a fair punishment. Yeah, I agree that even hands free phones hamper concentration, but they are still legal. Barely a mention of the prick who jumped the lights. Using the death of children like this - despicable journalism. Exactly why I gave up reading so-called newspapers. Feckin tosspots :evil:

Mike.

The Express and the Mail should be banned. Both are full of sensationalist subversive shit.

Now, I'll be careful not to get a splinter as I get off this fence...
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Bikerhoss

Postby Bikerhoss » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:22 am

Steve1200S wrote:There's no way you can say that if she wasn't on the phone, she'd have seen the guy jump the light and stopped. It's also not her responsibility to allow for others misusing the highway code and jumping lights anyway.

I think she got the careless driving charge because she was over the speed limit.... The phone has nothing to do with it, it's just media hype.

Tend to agree, Does it really matter if she was steering with her feet and eating a foot long Sub? Her actions would not have resulted in death had it not been for the other idiot,
Careless maybe just, but not Dangerous or Death by Dangerous.

Devil's Advocate:- If you get punted onto the pavement by another driver whilst filtering and kill some one, Who's fault is it? We all have to justify our actions if the unfortunate was to happen.
Blame the Deed, Not the Breed
Traitor Z1000SX Owner

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:40 pm

Steve1200S wrote:Not sure....

legally your allowed to use a hands free in the car, and someone else caused her to 'mount the curb' by running a red light.

There's no way you can say that if she wasn't on the phone, she'd have seen the guy jump the light and stopped. It's also not her responsibility to allow for others misusing the highway code and jumping lights anyway.

To a certain degree we all have to take responsibility - by defensive driving/riding which means observation. would love to take people with me for a day on the roads - unfortunately I have to put up with these pricks every day
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Archie

Postby Archie » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:28 am

skiddy boxers wrote:On the face of it no! but it's not the whole story is it? Nothing told about the driver of the mini that run the red light causing the collision. :?

"The court heard 61-year-old Mr Andrews had ‘misconstrued’ a green light telling traffic to turn left, believing he could cross the junction.
He has since died in circumstances unrelated to the case."

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:52 am

Yesterday I was standing outside chatting to my daughter , when a bus crawled past , the driver happily chatting away on his phone .....

He dropped it when I shouted at him " what the hell are you doing? "

There were about 15 passengers on board ....

It was one of those dodgy white unmarked busses run by the guys who run around all the little hamlets , twice or 3 times a day .

Trust me , if I knew who the operator was I'd have been on the phone reporting him ......

How many times have you looked up into an artic & seen the driver thundering along chatting away , on his phone .

Clearly the use of hands free is not enforced by truck companies ...

Or why the hell bus drivers think they are exempt either ...

My cuz was a traffic copper in Gwent , & he told me that a lot of fatal road accidents involve the use of mobile phones ...
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:06 am

I don't feel there's enough information for me to form an opinion.

But it does raise the question as to how talking hands free on the phone whilst driving, occupies the brain, as compared to talking to a passenger in the seat beside you.

Is there a difference? Not sure.

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:04 am

Accidents are not caused by dangerous bends,talking on the phone,eating a cream bun,drinking a can of pop or any of the other silly excuses bandied about.Accidents are caused by bad drivers driving badly.This will not be stopped by cameras.How often do you see bad driving when you are following a police car? I was taught that any accident I am in is my fault.
Reg.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

f90x

Postby f90x » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:30 am

Corvus wrote:I don't feel there's enough information for me to form an opinion.

But it does raise the question as to how talking hands free on the phone whilst driving, occupies the brain, as compared to talking to a passenger in the seat beside you.

Is there a difference? Not sure.

There isn't enough info to form an opinion, but once again it is clear that, that rag has composed the story to make the 'BMW' driving 'MUSLIM' 'WOMAN' look a lot more culpable than she might be. I honestly believe that even when using hands free we concentrate less on the road than if we were talking to a passenger but at present using hands free is legal. I'm sure I read that this could well be banned in the future. None of us were there to see it but I get the feeling that the driver that jumped the lights was a major part of the accident and yet hardly a word about them.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Return to “Boxerbanter”