back protectors

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Rico

back protectors

Postby Rico » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:08 pm

Some may have seen that I have been thinking of selling my R12S because of my back pain problems, often making it difficult to enjoy a ride. I'll take the recommendations and try upgrading the suspension when I've got some spare cash, but I was wondering if any others with discomfort or pain in the back have tried back protectors? Apparently they try to help the rider maintain a good straight back as well as protecting the rider in the case of an accident.

Cheers

Herb

Postby Herb » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:17 pm

I guess we are all different, but my back problems are neither made better or worse when I ride with my back protector. (Knox).

I know some find a more upright position helps, but I find a more crouched position seems to relieve the pain in my back, but brings its own problems with wrists and neck.

The R1200s for me reaches a good compromise.

I have 2 damaged discs, L3/4 and L4/5, caused in my Rugby playing days. The only thing that helps is when I am disciplined with my stretching, but i only remember to do them when I am in pain. When I am on the bike every day, I make an effort to do certain stretches before and after each ride, sometimes getting strange looks in the pub beer garden.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Bikerhoss

Postby Bikerhoss » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:24 pm

Knox protector for me.
Hard to answer your back problem question as everyone is different and no two people sit the same way on their bikes.

I've had fairly major surgery on my lower spine which prevented me ending up in a wheelchair and let me keep riding, but the back protector did help me with comfort pre and post op by stopping me slouch,

Try it and see, anything to keep you riding is worth it 8)
Blame the Deed, Not the Breed
Traitor Z1000SX Owner

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:18 pm

Sounds like a couple of hours at a good bike shop - trying on some of the larger, more suportive protectors could be a good start.

I don't think there is such a thing as an uncomfortable bike - just one which doesn't suit a persons' build or weaknesses.

I tried the R1200s for an afternoon and proclaimed it uncomfortable. That might just have been a bad day, hard to tell - as no-one has offered me the loan of one ever since :evil: .

Al :)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

SP250

Postby SP250 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:39 am

I don't think my back protector does any good at all (Dainese built into jacket) and the one I use under leathers also doesn't do much for my back.

I had severe sciatica for 9 months on top of a Rugby injury and a racing crash and couldn't sit or drive a car but the bike was just about bearable with low bars but not flat or raised ones.

However I spent £45 at the mobility shop in Gobowen Hospital and got a proper orthopedic back support which is infinately adjustable and is the best buy ever.
John M

Rico

Postby Rico » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:25 am

I'll definitely give something a try then!

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:59 am

I suffer from a condition that causes immense pain in the lower back and hips that often affects the way I walk. The best way to control it is with a diet and regular exercise. Since I was diagnosed last year I started and has managed to loose over a stone in fat, at the same time my back felt better, I have a better posture and I sleep better. Don't be put off by this, it takes a long time like 3 months for any positive long lasting results but after 2 weeks of being in the routine you will feel better. I now enjoy biking much more. I still do my track days, ride on the road or any other shenanigans without the discomfort I had.

As far as the back protector is concerned, yes, it does help a little bit but you still need good core strength to help maintain a good posture on the bike. When I get tired I'll let the back protector take a bit of strain but it doesn't help for long. The best position is flat on the tank flat out in top gear :D . What I have found to be very useful is Stompgrip. I sourced some Honda SP1/2 RC51 shaped panels for the 11S and stuck in on (perfect fit). It helps immensely with the level of grip you have on the tank with your knees. My style is to squeeze my knees on the tank to help keep my upper body in position so that it is loose and don't affect the steering. It is tiring at first but I'm used to it now.

Stompgrip is particular useful to me when riding on track as it provides the grip I need for keeping the body in position when braking and cornering. Don't make the mistake of tightening the back protector too much. You'll struggle to breathe when you get on the bike. I use the flexible Knox one with the white spine but there is more rigid protectors that is more suitable for the track. Just bear in mind that in warm weather you would not get the same amount of ventilation through with a back protector. I soon realised how much when I added a chest protector but I won't be without it on track.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

Rico

Postby Rico » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:25 am

tanneman wrote:I suffer from a condition that causes immense pain in the lower back and hips that often affects the way I walk. The best way to control it is with a diet and regular exercise. Since I was diagnosed last year I started and has managed to loose over a stone in fat, at the same time my back felt better, I have a better posture and I sleep better. Don't be put off by this, it takes a long time like 3 months for any positive long lasting results but after 2 weeks of being in the routine you will feel better. I now enjoy biking much more. I still do my track days, ride on the road or any other shenanigans without the discomfort I had.

As far as the back protector is concerned, yes, it does help a little bit but you still need good core strength to help maintain a good posture on the bike. When I get tired I'll let the back protector take a bit of strain but it doesn't help for long. The best position is flat on the tank flat out in top gear :D . What I have found to be very useful is Stompgrip. I sourced some Honda SP1/2 RC51 shaped panels for the 11S and stuck in on (perfect fit). It helps immensely with the level of grip you have on the tank with your knees. My style is to squeeze my knees on the tank to help keep my upper body in position so that it is loose and don't affect the steering. It is tiring at first but I'm used to it now.

Stompgrip is particular useful to me when riding on track as it provides the grip I need for keeping the body in position when braking and cornering. Don't make the mistake of tightening the back protector too much. You'll struggle to breathe when you get on the bike. I use the flexible Knox one with the white spine but there is more rigid protectors that is more suitable for the track. Just bear in mind that in warm weather you would not get the same amount of ventilation through with a back protector. I soon realised how much when I added a chest protector but I won't be without it on track.

Sounds like I need to think a lot more about the way I am riding the bike, and to focus on a different posture. I don't feel myself using my core nor legs very much, I rest most of my weight on my arms, although they are slightly bent.

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:32 am

Rico , I also have a damaged back .

But I've found some great stuff on internet , to improve core strength .

Basically strengthen all the core muscles so much that the muscle strength assists in compensating for damaged back .

There were some interesting videos put out by KTM , Dakar preparation , showing Cyril Despres .

No special gym equipment needed , just can do it in your home if you want .

I love riding so much , that I am prepared to do all this every day , to enable me to enjoy riding .
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:43 am

A back protector would not have helped in my accident in June as I folded up like penknife and crushed a vertibrae. The Bike (R1200ST) : I made more comfortable by raising the bars above the yoke and lowering the footpegs & a taller screen).

I would be interested in knowing more about the Orthopeadic Support mentioned by SP250, does it have a name / ref number or manufacturers name? Cheers

TTT
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Rico

Postby Rico » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:56 am

GerryB wrote:Rico , I also have a damaged back .

But I've found some great stuff on internet , to improve core strength .

Basically strengthen all the core muscles so much that the muscle strength assists in compensating for damaged back .

There were some interesting videos put out by KTM , Dakar preparation , showing Cyril Despres .

No special gym equipment needed , just can do it in your home if you want .

I love riding so much , that I am prepared to do all this every day , to enable me to enjoy riding .

I do some rock climbing that should help to build up core strength, but I have been neglecting it recently.. At the indoor climbing gym I go to they have core training sessions, they look terrifying, but perhaps I should join in.. I'll also check out that information, thanks :)

Improving core strength is not only good for riding a motorcycle :wink:

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:36 am

I lost a lot of weight but because of other injuries couldn't cycle as much so have put weight back on. Physio hasn't helped my back. Not driving the wagon for two weeks whilst on holiday helped!!! But, unfortunately, I still have the bills to pay. I found mountain biking has helped now other things are sorted and once we get the festivities over I'll be back pedalling again. Strangely, I've never felt the need for barbacks although the Stompgrips may be useful
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

SP250

Postby SP250 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:00 am

TTT

I have dug out my back support and it has Sportabac on it and a telephone number 01873 840004.
I have had it for over a decade now and don't know if the number will still work as I googled it and the company seems not to have a website and is registered in the US.

So as this site if infernally complicated to put photos up you'll have to make do with a description.

It is a fully elasticated webbed belt about 9" deep which is fastened by velcro. Then you adjust how tight you want it to grip and steady your lower back by pulling two other elasticated straps and attaching them to velco anchors. Similar to this http://www.amazon.co.uk/PhysioRoom-Elit ... k+supports
John M

McBoxer

Postby McBoxer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:55 am

SP250 wrote:TTT

I have dug out my back support and it has Sportabac on it and a telephone number 01873 840004.
I have had it for over a decade now and don't know if the number will still work as I googled it and the company seems not to have a website and is registered in the US.

So as this site if infernally complicated to put photos up you'll have to make do with a description.

It is a fully elasticated webbed belt about 9" deep which is fastened by velcro. Then you adjust how tight you want it to grip and steady your lower back by pulling two other elasticated straps and attaching them to velco anchors. Similar to this http://www.amazon.co.uk/PhysioRoom-Elit ... k+supports

Like this?

On ebay at the moment, buy it now for £34.00
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SPORTABAC-SUPER-PLUS-BACK-SUPPORT-XS-SMALL-EX-LARGE-/271194591738
Big Scottish Al

SP250

Postby SP250 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:10 pm

McB

Thats exactly the one.

You can remove the stiff foam pad in the internal pocket and put in a gel pad which you can heat in a microwave instead.
Magic for strained back especially when lifting up a bike you've dropped.
John M

Return to “Boxerbanter”