Motorcycling .Time for a rant, get it off your chest.

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

eyore

Postby eyore » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:46 am

You are right about sizing Steve :evil: Its a complete lottery with no standardisation, every manufacturer has a different sizing system and the labels bear no relevance to the reality.

You are right about Mobile phones while driving. It has reached epidemic proportions, arghhhh.

Drinking tea/coffee while driving.

"Droopy" headlights on modern bikes.

Tassels on Harley Fergusons.

Germans at the TT wearing stupid hats full of badges and hogging the best viewing spots hours before racing while eating raw fish.
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Herb

Postby Herb » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:33 am

I had a think about what I could add to this thread while I was driving this morning, I was on my mobile to an Indian call centre, and after pressing 2 was put on hold, so had some time to kill. Anyway, I had a ponder while I sipped on my double chocca moccachino with my freehand (other one was holding my phone, steering with my knees, which is ok, cos I hog the middle lane which gives me a bit of space either side in case I swerve a bit).

This is what I came up with, motorcycle related.

Surface dressing. Cheapie road repairs that chip my bike, cover up road damage and squidge into a rutted mess first sign of sun.

Loud exhausts. I don't believe they save lives, they just annoy people.

Road tax...sorry, Vehicle excise duty. Why does is cost £78 for my bike, but my wife's car is free?

Police motorbike checks...got stopped a few years in Essex, only bikers were stopped. I was not speeding. Bikers were being stopped as part of an education initiative and I ended up being held for 30 minutes and had to provide ID as well as answer questions about where I was going. Last time I checked, riding a bike was not illegal and I was committing no crime. By what right are they allowed to prevent me going about my lawful business?

Carole Nash.

Motorcycle City, Gosport. You deserved to go bust. (25 year old gripe that one).

That's enough for now.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

slparry

Postby slparry » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:19 pm

Herb wrote:I had a think about what I could add to this thread while I was driving this morning, I was on my mobile to an Indian call centre, and after pressing 2 was put on hold, so had some time to kill. Anyway, I had a ponder while I sipped on my double chocca moccachino with my freehand (other one was holding my phone, steering with my knees, which is ok, cos I hog the middle lane which gives me a bit of space either side in case I swerve a bit).

This is what I came up with, motorcycle related.

Surface dressing. Cheapie road repairs that chip my bike, cover up road damage and squidge into a rutted mess first sign of sun.

Loud exhausts. I don't believe they save lives, they just annoy people.

Road tax...sorry, Vehicle excise duty. Why does is cost £78 for my bike, but my wife's car is free?

Police motorbike checks...got stopped a few years in Essex, only bikers were stopped. I was not speeding. Bikers were being stopped as part of an education initiative and I ended up being held for 30 minutes and had to provide ID as well as answer questions about where I was going. Last time I checked, riding a bike was not illegal and I was committing no crime. By what right are they allowed to prevent me going about my lawful business?

Carole Nash.

Motorcycle City, Gosport. You deserved to go bust. (25 year old gripe that one).

That's enough for now.

North Wales Police used to do that one, I emailed the chief plod and advised him I'd regard it as a breach of Article 14 of the Human Rights Act which states

"Article 14 (E+W+S+N.I).
Prohibition of discrimination
The enjoyment of the rights and freedoms set forth in this Convention shall be secured without discrimination on any ground such as sex, race, colour, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, association with a national minority, property, birth or other status. "

So, to me, them arbritarily stopping only motorcyclists for this "education" is discrimination for our association with property :)

I'm not say that was what caused it but since they've not had the mass stops.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:45 pm

Grip Fast wrote:I passed my advanced test in 2008, I'm quite old and a bit farty (and the missus would include silly). But I don't ride an RT or a Pan of any colour, nor do I dress head to toe in dayglo. I would like to be able to ride as well as the cops in our group; they are very skilled riders, but I don't pretend I can.

Yeah OK, I've just turned 50 which makes me officially an old fart I guess,
:cry:
Not knocking it BUT,
I did try the IAM briefly and found on the whole, they had a very inflated sense of their skills.
At the same time, I decided to pay quite a lot of money for a three day advanced course with a PROPER Police rider (retired) Mike Waite.
What I quickly learned was that what the IAM offer is a very watered down version of the Police system.
It's good to do it, but if you really want to learn the "system" you have to go to the guys who live it as part of their every day life.
I worked the hardest I've ever worked on a bike in those three days, but it was worth every penny.
It's like going to learn how to ride on a track.
Yeah you can get a lot of free advice from the track day veterans, but I bet you'd pay to get the chance for a one to one with Valentino Rossi if you could afford it.
No brainer.

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:53 pm

The motorcycle press writing glowing reports on bikes that 5 years ago they `slagged off`, they either don`t read there own articles or think we have no memory.

Bennetts...... :evil: ...I hate you

slparry

Re: Motorcycling .Time for a rant, get it off your chest.

Postby slparry » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:30 am

eyore wrote:What really annoys you.................................

Expensive gloves that the ******* lining pulls out of when you take your hand out. :evil:

<snip> :twisted:

BTW, have you tried wearing silk undergloves, I found in the past they stopped the liner pulling out of an expensive set of alpinestars
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

eyore

Postby eyore » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:30 am

slparry wrote:

Expensive gloves that the ******* lining pulls out of when you take your hand out. :evil:

BTW, have you tried wearing silk undergloves, I found in the past they stopped the liner pulling out of an expensive set of alpinestars

Silk undies, yes :oops: And silk gloves too, tried them last year in the winter and definitely helps keep you warmer and stops the lining problem, also does away with the need to wear heavier winter gloves.

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:10 am

bikesnbones wrote:
Grip Fast wrote:At the same time, I decided to pay quite a lot of money for a three day advanced course with a PROPER Police rider .

I went on a 2,900 mile bike holiday with one, and he reckoned I rode like Kenny Roberts............. [smilie=biker.gif] :thumbright:

Hang on - I've just realised....................

He said "Kenny Rogers" :oops:

Al :?
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:17 am

So In order:

1) Cyclists who refuse to use the Cycle lanes and thererfore hold up traffic
2) Cyclists, who after not using the cycle lanes that then zoom straight across red lights.
3) Tossers in Vans and lorries who think that leaning on the steering wheel with their elbows is acceptable (this is so that they can text with one had and roll a fag with the other
4) Tossers and tossettes in vans cars and lorries texting and using mobile phones.
5) Tossettes putting on bloody mascara and make up in traffic queues.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:37 am

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:So In order:

2) Cyclists, who after not using the cycle lanes that then zoom straight across red lights.
3) Tossers in Vans and lorries who think that leaning on the steering wheel with their elbows is acceptable (this is so that they can text with one had and roll a fag with the other
4) Tossers and tossettes in vans cars and lorries texting and using mobile phones.

<fx:nods in agreement>

I was sat at the side of a girl in a car on the local bypass one day while she was busy texting at 80mph, totally oblivious of the bike at feet away, she didn't half jump when I tooted the fiamms. I think the dayglo jacket and white lid made her twitch for a second :)

This weekend was hard work at times as there was a lot of lycra clad cyclists about causing chaos at times as cars attempted to overtake them on bends on busy A roads etc. Just an added incentive to spy hop and get maximum view through the bends!

Good thread Eyore .... I feel less old and grumpy now that I realise it's not "just me" :)
--
Steve Parry

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:46 am

eyore wrote:
slparry wrote:

Silk undies, yes :oops: And silk gloves too, tried them last year in the winter and definitely helps keep you warmer and stops the lining problem, also does away with the need to wear heavier winter gloves.

I gave up on so called motorcycle gloves years ago problems with the linings pulling out so called waterproof gloves that take the best part of a week to dry out so called winter gloves where the linings are so thick they cut off circulation to your fingers

What i now use are the grey luftwaf gloves from the army surplus store
These are now all but unobtainable but the French army gloves are a good replacement and are black best of all they should cost less than a tenner
Both the above are unlined i don't find this a problem as they don't have a lining to hold water or cut off circulation they stay warmer than most of the motorcycle gloves i have tried over the years

If you want a lined glove have a look at the Austrian army gloves these are lined and with a silk liner warmer than any winter gloves i have worn

I used to like the gerrik two finger gloves but while warm you lose a lot of feeling again they take ages to dry out when they do get wet

Myself i would rather be comfortable than fashionable if I'm comfortable i feel safe and relaxed just the way you should feel when out on the bike

Hope my ramblings are of help to someone Dai
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

Herb

Postby Herb » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:49 am

Agree with you on all points except number 1.

Have you looked at some of our cycle lanes? Many are ill conceived, poorly designed and in some cases quite dangerous, bringing the cyclist into conflict with traffic.

In many cases I would rather take my chances on the road, obeying the highway code of course.
********Jim********

---------------------------

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:17 pm

Herb wrote:

Agree with you on all points except number 1.

Have you looked at some of our cycle lanes? Many are ill conceived, poorly designed and in some cases quite dangerous, bringing the cyclist into conflict with traffic.

In many cases I would rather take my chances on the road, obeying the highway code of course.

The two that really piss me off is: The lower Woolwich Road and then teh one over the lower lee Crossing East london. The Cycle lane on the bridge is mechanically swept every week and is behind Armco and the tossers still think its OK to ride on the duel carriageway, they are mostly male aged 30+ wearing lycra and have headphones plugged in. Just as you are about to go past a lorry the lorry swings out in front of you to miss the twat who thinks he's Bradley Wiggins just because he's got lycra on and shiney push bike. :x

Now see what you did there was to disagree with me a get me started. :x No doubt if one o fthem got knocke doff they would be all over the car / lorry driver for damages but what I say is this: If you don't use the cycle lane and you get hurt then tough its your own fault. You have a duty of care towards your own safety if you choose to ignore the cycle lane put there for your safety its tough titty don't bloody whine. :evil:
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

eyore

Postby eyore » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:35 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:[
and the tossers still think its OK to ride on the duel carriageway, they are mostly male aged 30+ wearing lycra and have headphones plugged in. Just as you are about to go past a lorry the lorry swings out in front of you to miss the twat who thinks he's Bradley Wiggins just because he's got lycra on and shiney push bike.

Known as MAMIL s Middle aged men in Lycra.

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:37 pm

eyore wrote:
The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:[
and the tossers still think its OK to ride on the duel carriageway, they are mostly male aged 30+ wearing lycra and have headphones plugged in. Just as you are about to go past a lorry the lorry swings out in front of you to miss the twat who thinks he's Bradley Wiggins just because he's got lycra on and shiney push bike.

Known as MAMIL s Middle aged men in Lycra.

Leathers are arguably one thing ... but there definately should be a law preventing those of a certain age/shape from wearing lycra .... think of the children for Gods sake ;)
--
Steve Parry

Return to “Boxerbanter”