Honest opinion of your Ability

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

bikesnbones

Honest opinion of your Ability

Postby bikesnbones » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:21 pm

I was listening to a programme on the radio today, where a survey carried out showed that most drivers think of themselves as skilled and way above the average standard.

I reckon us riders have a far more realistic view of ourselves.

Me ?

I'm reasonably quick and safe on roads I know, but on roads I don't know, I am often all over the place.

I've done advanced rider training, but I never got this "vanishing point" thing, and my bend assessment leaves a lot to be desired.

R/Handers are OK (ish), but L/Handers are a real weakness for me and I often find myself tucking into the nearside for fear of drifting out onto the wrong side.

Having said all that, I am safe in that I never take stupid risks, but my lack of ability on twisty roads, does often spoil my enjoyment of a nice ride.

I've been riding continuously for 31 years so what's my excuse ?

Well, one could be that I was weened on the ill handling shopping trolleys of the 80's that didn't go around corners, and most of my bikes have been bulky sports tourers, and cruisers.

My R1200S is my first ever sports bike, and it's laughing at me.

There you are, I've been honest.

What about you.

Twinspark

Postby Twinspark » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:40 pm

I find it a mystery.

The 11S has upped my confidence significantly - and I believe I can hold my own with a good proportion of riders these days - and often pass sports bikes, whilst 2-up on the BMW.

Before I got the 11S, I was a fairly poor road rider - although, mysteriously, I was quicker on my R100RT than on my Honda VFR800.

But in a car, I'm ultra confident and find I'm quicker than 99% of other road users - which is incredibly frustrating.
Fucked Off!

slparry

Postby slparry » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:40 pm

Next year on the 10th June will be my 40th concurrent year of riding. Ive done at least 800,000 miles plus over the 40 years on the whole I'm happy enough with my riding. Not marvellous as a car driver though as I get too frustrated but the cars now on a Sorn as I don't use it anymore
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:52 pm

To be honest not as good as i was 30 or so years ago when i was dispatching
Now i spend to much time worrying about other road users and crap road markings/surfacing etc
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:21 pm

I'm friggin' useless. :oops:

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:26 pm

Well I'm definitely slower than I was when I was in my 20's, but I'm a much safer rider now, I'm not fast nor slow and I'm quite happy with that. Having said that, I'm still acutely aware that I have room to improve, and I'm not talking about racetrack speed.

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:41 pm

Certainly not as mad as I was. Its junctions that scare me when I see cars waiting to turn, had too many moments with them. If I can see through a corner I,d say I,m as quick or close to what I was although modern suspension/tyres play a big part in that. To be honest high speed has never done it for me its always been cornering. When I only had a bike and rode everywhere my biggest attribute was the wet...pretty quick in the wet I was.
A couple months ago a guy on a Triumph 955 came by and I tagged on the back.... you know the game..... and I have say when we got past straight to jail I bottled it. There was just too much traffic, junctions etc and my mind was more on that than the dabble so I backed off with one of those "what was that all about" moments. Mind you he was bloody quick, too quick for me, and the Triumph impressed.
kernow,the last bit

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:43 pm

crap on the road, some what better on a track.....after I`ve figured out where it all goes, its less important having poor eyesight on track... :shock:

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:22 am

For me, C- plenty room for improvement, could do better, pay more attention....sounding like one of my better school reports that made it home :)
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Herb

Postby Herb » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:02 am

I am not experienced on the track, but on the road consider myself pretty good.

I have been riding for 24 years (crikey), and started with good habits as my mum sent me on a RoSPA course which lasted 8 weeks, 4 hours every Sunday. I still have the green enamel badge. I have continued with the training on and off ever since.

The main guy I ride with is an instructor, so I get regular feedback, which hopefully stops too many bad habits creeping in.

Areas for improvement, corner entry. Once I am in the corner I read it well, but on occasion struggle to judge the approach speed. It's a long time problem that I have not been able to address to my own satisfaction yet.

I am often pulled up for being over conservative on overtakes and missing opportunities, but to be honest I am happy being conservative.

My biggest problem is practice. I really need to get out more.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:26 am

I'm with you Jim, I'd much rather be accused of being conservative regarding overtakes than foolhardy... conservative is unlikely to get you killed :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

ned1

Postby ned1 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:38 am

Been ridding a long time,
Some years ago I was overtaken by five police riders training on the same bike as me K100rs
but there was no way I could match them so I joined the IAM and never looked back

fast .......... 7/10
safe........... Hopefully, over the top sometimes
Best bit...... Twisty A roads
Fear ..........Other road users, seen the whites of there eyes and they have still pulled out in front of me.

Ned [smilie=biker.gif]
Yesterday R1100S 03, today K1300s sport
Ride like they are all out to kill you and you will live to ride another day............Ned 2008

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:58 am

ned1 wrote:Been ridding a long time,
Some years ago I was overtaken by five police riders training on the same bike as me K100rs
but there was no way I could match them so I joined the IAM and never looked back

fast .......... 7/10
safe........... Hopefully, over the top sometimes
Best bit...... Twisty A roads
Fear ..........Other road users, seen the whites of there eyes and they have still pulled out in front of me.

Ned [smilie=biker.gif]

Fear....well worded ned. I think we sing from a similar hymn book
kernow,the last bit

Gibson335

Riding ability

Postby Gibson335 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:06 am

Started schoolboy scrambling in 62 or 63 - I think this greatly helped with balance and general feel for mechanised progress. Driving cars since 1970. Huge mileages over the years (56,000 business miles in 1990 alone). I think it's all about hazard perception - the more experienced you become, the further ahead you're looking and the more potential disasters you register and consciously or unconsciously ride to avert. Having seen so many T-bone incidents (particularly in central London) I dress to make myself highly visible - the recent upgrade to HID lights fits well with that philosophy. I tend not to take chances nowadays on roads I don't know well. I KNOW my reactions must be slower than they were - on long straights I'm still quite keen in investigating the dusty side of the speedo but I ride defensively most of the time (still got a clean licence and - touch wood - haven't been off since 1969). Still get a huge buzz from riding, but have come to terms with the fact that I'll never be another Sammy Miller, Geoff Duke, Ago or Rossi. Pretty much the most enjoyment you can have with your clothes on...
"Life is like a sewer - what you get out of it depends on what you put into it..."

wotmeworry

Postby wotmeworry » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:41 am

Awesome
HP2 Sport

Yaboo Sucks

Return to “Boxerbanter”