Bikesafe.

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Sat May 25, 2013 8:50 pm

Several years ago, I was travelling down my favourite local road on my Aprilia Falco when I saw a bike catching me quickly. I felt I was going as quickly as I could but this Harley sportster went past me and off into the distance and I couldn't keep up. Yet he didn't look ragged or dangerous.

So I decided I needed some training and joined IAM (though they wouldn't like me to call it training - it's more like mentoring self improvement based on the police system). It was the best thing for me at the time. I passed the advanced test about five years ago, and unlike the guys mentioned earlier, it really fired my love of biking to a new level. I enjoy every ride now and can analyse and fix my own riding when it's not up to scratch.

I'm a much better and quicker rider now, but it's possible the Harley rider would still pass me. The difference now is he (or she) wouldn't catch me quite so quickly and I would be cool about it because I am comfortable with my ability and limits now.

slparry

Postby slparry » Sat May 25, 2013 8:53 pm

the only issue I have with IAM is it's a certification for life, I prefer the RoSPA model where it has to be retaken every few years. Although both increase a riders skill set obviously.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Welshman

Postby Welshman » Sat May 25, 2013 9:37 pm

If you want to do it properly then book a day with:

Www.rapidtraining.co.uk
BMW K1200S
BMW HP2 Sport
BMW S1000 RR
BMW R90S
www.bbot.co.uk

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Sun May 26, 2013 5:15 am

Sounds like the group view is that advanced training is a very good idea, based on all your experiences.

I'll see how the Bikesafe goes, then may look at IAM at either the Sheffield or Rotherham branch.

I also know there are a few ex-police advanced trainers in my area, one of which is also a Rospa examiner. They're fairly cheap for day 1:1 courses.
----------------------------------------------
Steve.

1980 R100S
2003 VFR 800
A Silly Van.

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun May 26, 2013 7:48 am

Steve1200S wrote:Sounds like the group view is that advanced training is a very good idea, based on all your experiences.

I'll see how the Bikesafe goes, then may look at IAM at either the Sheffield or Rotherham branch.

I also know there are a few ex-police advanced trainers in my area, one of which is also a Rospa examiner. They're fairly cheap for day 1:1 courses.

a mate of mine, actually a few met him as he was on the K1 at the Welsh Weekend, was a returnee to biking, and was a very raggy rider he did the bikesafe which helped and also flagged some issues up, I suggested the enhanced rider scheme assessment which he took with an ex police trainer who now has his own training company.

After this he did his RoSPA course and managed to achieve a RoSPA Gold which I've been told is the same level as the police riders course without the high speed pursuit section. He went on to do the next level and is now a RoSPA trainer.

His riding's a lot tidier now, although another 5 mph would make it perfect when we're out on rides .... ;)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

GRAgusta

Postby GRAgusta » Sun May 26, 2013 3:43 pm

I did the ROSPA training with BMW in Brecon Beacons. I cannot recommend it enough.

We had gorgeous accommodation, a great holiday with bikes thrown in. The Welsh police officer that did my training was a pleasant person to spend the days with, and my training took my skill level forward hugely.

But I have not bought in wholly to ROSPA, their newspaper upsets me, it is counter to the hooligan that still exists in my psyche - I WILL NOT WEAR YELLOW to be safe, but I will apply the method to ensure my survival.
Gawaine

2003 R1100S
2007 MV Agusta F4 1000R
2013 Ducati Diavel Hers
2023 Motorrad R1250RS SE

2020 911 992 C2SC

Return to “Boxerbanter”