Long Shot - V70 vibration

Hifi, computers, cameras etc; gadgets and general chat about any other interesting hobbies you have.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Bikerhoss

Postby Bikerhoss » Fri May 10, 2013 12:13 pm

Right, much later than hoped, got it up on ramps and spent half an hour with a crow bar testing all the bushes/bearings for excessive play etc......... nowt (although anti-roll bar bushes will need doing soon)

It's making a right clatter when you hit holes in the road now, and the vibes are pretty much constant.

Top shock mount :?:
Blame the Deed, Not the Breed
Traitor Z1000SX Owner

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Fri May 10, 2013 2:07 pm

any small back street garages nearby that service everything? Got loacl motor engineers near me and they are REALLY good - got so much experience of many marques. Might be worth a try and could save a lot of time
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

slparry

Postby slparry » Fri May 10, 2013 2:09 pm

funnily enough before I got to the bottom of your post I thought "Top shock mount " :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

sandbar

Re: Long Shot - V70 vibration

Postby sandbar » Fri May 10, 2013 4:09 pm

Bikerhoss wrote:annoying vibration on the V70. It's an AWD D5 Geartronic, Mark 2, 2004 with 90000 on the clock.

Apparently, a very common problem is the failure of the Haldex diff. Exactly the symptoms that you describe. Get it on some wet grass and see if you do actually still have the 4WD feature. It may by now be only FWD!

From what you are saying it sounds as though it may have gone too far to repair. Very common failure on Audis as well - some of them use the same diff.

sandbar

Bikerhoss

Postby Bikerhoss » Fri May 10, 2013 4:56 pm

Cheers Dave, The only local place I trust is the one I occasionally drive their rescue truck for :wink: It was there that the original diagnosis of lower wishbone was made, but even they're head scratching now :?:

sandbar, Where did you find that info? My web searching prowess is sh*t with a capital F. Pretty sure I still have AWD, but will double check.

Ta Steve. If its not looking like this Haldex thing that's gone, I reckon it's a new mount to be ordered on payday :)

Traitor Z1000SX Owner

sandbar

Postby sandbar » Sat May 11, 2013 10:01 am

Bikerhoss wrote:sandbar, Where did you find that info?

From somebody who knows about these things!!

He didn't say that it was definitely the problem. What he said was that it sounds like the problem, and that it is a very common fault. It is a lot more common than Volvo (and Audi!) are prepared to admit. Just in case - be prepared! It is unlikely to be cheap because they are usually unrepairable!

The easiest way to check is (as I said above) is to see if you still have 4WD available. Wet grass is the easiest. It would have happened over a period of time, so you would not have noticed anything as the interior of the diff. machined itself into swarf.

sandbar

gus

Postby gus » Sun May 12, 2013 6:17 pm

Hi
I know you said you changed the dampers. Did you check the springs? I had a broken front spring on my volvo which caused vibration and a harsh ride.
All the best
Gus
Ps thanks for the volvo parts site.

Bikerhoss

Postby Bikerhoss » Wed May 15, 2013 9:07 pm

No bother Gus, Other than getting a few parts cost price when a friend orders through the bus company garage, they're the cheapest I've found.

Well, further investigation means I have cracked it at last :lol: It is a combination of the top shock mount and top spring seat. The latter fits inside the former, almost like a bush, and it's that which has perished. I found rubber particles under the bonnet near the mount, and there's a little play in the visible part of the mount. Obviously it's hard to spot when you're digging about, but the weight of the car over bumps is enough to move the shock against the mount, causing the clunk.

So, two mounts for £60 (cost price order) and two spring seats from eBay for £35 once payday arrives, and I'll be able to do both sides for less than the price of ONE genuine mount from Volvo :lol: Will update once fitted for those with a V70/XC90/C90 that may be interested.

Traitor Z1000SX Owner

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed May 15, 2013 9:16 pm

excellent result :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Bikerhoss

Postby Bikerhoss » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:08 am

Sorry chaps, Forgot to update if anyone interested.
New spring seat and top mount in, vibration all but gone. I suspect there is a little tyre damage because of the pummeling it got before the fix, certainly the rear tyre had to be replaced as the inside edge was down to the wire overworking to compensate :shock:

I ended up replacing the anti-roll bar bushes too, just to be sure. After all that faffing to fix the 'dog bus' suspension, it bloody failed it's MOT on wipers and a full beam bulb :roll:

That's what I get for not checking it over before I put it in :lol:

Traitor Z1000SX Owner

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:42 am

Glad you got it sorted
My Ann's car has to go in this morning for a brake safety checks the main dealer told her the front discs are 75% worn rears 50% and all pads are past their wear limit strange thing is the pads look fine to me and the disc's have only a very small wear ridge no vibration no pulling to one side and no warning light
She won't believe me when i said it's the main dealer trying to put one over on her she says they wouldn't do that
So it's off to a good independent at 9 this morning
The car has less than 30,000 gentle miles on it
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

Bikerhoss

Postby Bikerhoss » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:15 am

Dai wiskers wrote:She won't believe me when i said it's the main dealer trying to put one over on her she says they wouldn't do that

Oh, of course not :roll: I once had a stand up argument at Kwik-Fit with the manager boyo after he tried to tell me 3mm of tread was illegal and that I had a blown head gasket (old Fiat with gunk in the oil filler cap, they all did that sir!!) :!: I haven't been back.....

Traitor Z1000SX Owner

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:07 pm

Ann came with me i asked the fitter to talk to her not me.
When i saw him coming i sloped off for a smoke apparently the front are showing signs of wear but they will be good for another few months
The rears are more or less like new
No charge for the inspection either

Shameless plug

King David tyres

Kwik fit once told me my shocs had gone it was an old mini van with rubber block suspension units fitted these were never fitted with shock absorbers i only went there as they were advertising free puncture repairs at the time

Ah well at least i have a fairly happy Ann however she has said she will be ringing the main dealer and giving them what for
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe

http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata

http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie

http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:34 pm

at one time the local Kwik Fit used to squirt WD40 onto the shock absorbers then call the owner in to say they'd failed and point to the "leak" from them. An acquaintance of my brother worked there for a while and filled him in on several underhand tricks they did. Thankfully they seem a bit better nowadays :)
--
Steve Parry

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:22 pm

One of my mates once worked as a fitter for Euro exhausts, which was owned by kwik-fit, he was instructed to inform every driver whose car went onto the ramp that their tyres were worn! His bosses told him that this was in fact true as the very fact that they had driven to the depot meant that their tyres were worn, not worn out, but worn all the same! the number of customers to just say ok, put new ones on was very high.

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Return to “Geeks' Corner”