Tomtom Rider V1

Hifi, computers, cameras etc; gadgets and general chat about any other interesting hobbies you have.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Daveg2812

Tomtom Rider V1

Postby Daveg2812 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:40 am

I have one of the above which has served me well, however, recently, I noticed that it would charge intermittantly, both on the bike and from the mains, and wiggling the charge plug about in the socket on the bottom of the unit would connect and diconnect power. I suspected a problem with the socket, however the small amount of info available on the net suggested a battery issue, so a replacement one was duly ordered. Result was that the problem remained. I pulled the thing apart and noticed that one of the 3 very small pegs that connect the power socket to the circuit board appeared loose when I wiggled the socket about. I set about with the (overlarge) soldering iron, and to my surprise, successfully remade the connection. All back together and the battery is charging. Big smiles all round. Except that after a couple of days, I notice that when I plug the charger in, the battery low symbol continues to flash, and when I disconnect the mains, the unit powers down. I complain to the battery supplier who sends me a new one out. Back together again, the unit is charging normally. I check it after about three hours and the low battery is flashing again :? I disconnect the power and the unit powers off.
Now the mains charger is genuine Tomtom, and the output voltage on the label is 5v. I've checked the input voltage at the tiny socket on the Tomtom where the battery connects, and the voltage there is 6.3v, and with the battery connected, 5.3v. I've also checked the open circuit voltage of the battery, and it's showing 5.2 volts. The label on the battery says it's rated at 3.7v, but they all seem to say that, and I don't know if it's relevant. Can anyone advise what is going on please :?:
Apologies for what is quite a long winded post over a relatively minor issue, and I could just throw it away and rely on one of the map apps on the Iphone, but I find the road layout of the Tomtom very accurate, and very handy just to have on when you're riding unknown roads, but don't particularly need navigation.

Thanks in anticipation,

Dave
Last edited by Daveg2812 on Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This ain't Twitter you know!

2003 R1100S with some bits on.

Blackal

Re: Tomtom Rider V1

Postby Blackal » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:43 am

Daveg2812 wrote:I have one of the above which has served me well, however, recently, I noticed that it would charge intermittantly, both on the bike and from the mains, and wiggling the charge plug about in the socket on the bottom of the unit would connect and diconnect power. I suspected a problem with the socket, however the small amount of info available on the net suggested a battery issue, so a replacement one was duly ordered. Result was that the problem remained. I pulled the thing apart and noticed that one of the 3 very small pegs that connect the power socket to the circuit board appeared loose when I wiggled the socket about. I set about with the (overlarge) soldering iron, and to my surprise, successfully remade the connection. All back together and the battery is charging. Big smiles all round. Except that after a couple of days, I notice that when I plug the charger in, the battery low symbol continues to flash, and when I disconnect the mains, the unit powers down. I complain to the battery supplier who sends me a new one out. Back together again, the unit is charging normally. I check it after about three hours and the low battery is flashing again :? I disconnect the power and the unit powers off.
Now the mains charger is genuine Tomtom, and the output voltage on the label is 5v. I've checked the input voltage at the tiny socket on the Tomtom where the battery connects, and the voltage there is 6.3v, and with the battery connected, 5.3v. I've also checked the open circuit voltage of the battery, and it's showing 5.2 volts. The label on the battery says it's rated at 3.7v, but they all seem to say that, and I don't know if it's relevant. Can anyone advise what is going on please :?:
Apologies for what is quite a long winded post over a relatively minor issue, and I could just through it away and rely on one of the map apps on the Iphone, but I find the road layout of the Tomtom very accurate, and very handy just to have on when you're riding unknown roads, but don't particularly need navigation.

Thanks in anticipation,

Dave

I've checked the input voltage at the tiny socket on the Tomtom where the battery connects, and the voltage there is 6.3v
That's a strange one - where is it getting this high voltage from, if the output of the TomTom charger is app 5v, unless it is pretty crude regulation, and drops to app 5v under load.

with the battery connected, 5.3v.
That's what I would expect.

I've also checked the open circuit voltage of the battery, and it's showing 5.2 volts.
That sounds about right for a fully-charged battery.

I've got a TT 1 lying around (fully charged) - but can't find my multimeter to check some chargers. My Contour camera batteries are 3.7v - so can check them later (if I find the multimeter)

I've PMd you with the solution.

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Return to “Geeks' Corner”