Baskerville Hall on the XJR Aug 2020

Done a "Ewan & Charley"? Been for a fried breakfast and taken pictures? Share the tales of your adventure in here

Moderators: Paul, slparry, Gromit

BoxerCup R

Baskerville Hall on the XJR Aug 2020

Postby BoxerCup R » Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:47 pm

Thurs 13th Aug 2020

I finished work at 2pm, loaded my weekend soft bag onto the pillion seat of my XJR and set off for our XJROC AGM at Baskerville Hall Hotel in Wales, well known to Boxertrixsters :wink:

ImageIMG_2640 by John Taylor, on Flickr

A quick fuel stop for me and the bike and a pee at Tebay Services on the M6 and I was back on the road, loving that 'get away on the bike' feeling and the weather was playing it's part staying dry, bright and warm 8)

ImageIMG_2641 by John Taylor, on Flickr

but firstly my overnight stop at a Premier Inn in 'Manchestershire' to break the 345 miles journey up

ImageIMG_2642 by John Taylor, on Flickr

My Mate Ryan, his wife and son met me at the Premier Inn and we had an evening meal and a coupe of drinks before Ryan and I arranged a time to meet the next morning and which route we'd take. Time to get some beauty sleep :lol:

Fri 14th Aug

Ryan arrived for 8am

ImageIMG_2649 by John Taylor, on Flickr

and after a stop for petrol at Costco - cheers Mate :wink: I led and we took the motorway for the initial part to Chester then the very busy A55 across the top of Wales before finally picking up the A470 at Conwy and headed South onto Betws y Coed for lunch. The A470 is a fantastic road which actually runs the full length of Wales, top to bottom, Conwy to Cardiff and although we only did 120 of the full 160 miles of the road, it is one to do again, again and again, in both directions it is that good 8)

ImageIMG_2652 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2651 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2653 by John Taylor, on Flickr

There was a pristine Moto Guzzi Le Mans there with an older couple who were very polite and happy to be out and about on their immaculate bike 8) Apparently these Italian bikes run on petrol so just be careful Chris when you get your new bike Mate :wink: #justsayin

The sun shone all day long and it got hotter the further south we got, bloody magic for being on a bike and sticky tarmac :bounce: and the scenery and road were as good as each other. The A470 twisting and turning, up mountain and down valley, it didn't disappoint in any shape or form and I recommend it to you all 8) A fill up for the bikes at Caersws near Newtown and a cool drink for us before we jumped back on the bikes 'full of it' and stormed off to enjoy the last stint of our route to the hotel

ImageIMG_2654 by John Taylor, on Flickr

We arrived at Baskerville Hall

ImageIMG_2655 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2656 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2660 by John Taylor, on Flickr

and in plenty of time for a quick catch up with those camping after dumping our bags in the rooms and donning shorts. A welcome bottle of beer was had with Nick, Jane & Simon in their camping area and more XJR's arrived in a steady stream before we all headed for food in the bar :wink: We occupied the 5 tables & the night was a steady one, I think :lol: I know I slept really well :D

ImageIMG_2658 by John Taylor, on Flickr

Sat 15th Aug

We held the AGM after breakfast Sat morning, I got furthest travelled trophy 8) the raffle went really well, I won a couple of prizes and was able to give a third one to Pete who was having no luck and probably the only person in the room who hadn't been up to the table :wink:

ImageIMG_2662 by John Taylor, on Flickr

I'd said I would organise a ride out for those that were interested and nine bikes left the car park at 12:30 with Ryan very kindly taking up the role of Tailgunner for an afternoon blast through the gorgeous Welsh countryside and the Elan Valley :bounce:

ImageIMG_2663 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2664 by John Taylor, on Flickr

Ryan loved that Hi-Viz that much he wanted to keep it but I said no :lol:

ImageIMG_2665 by John Taylor, on Flickr

First stop was Crossways cafe after we got split up but all made it there in two groups - my fault :oops: :D

ImageIMG_2666 by John Taylor, on Flickr

I took us to Rhayader and then through the stunning Elan Valley with its Reservoirs, snaking narrow hillside road and free roaming SHEEP :shock: Watchem the buggers :lol:

ImageIMG_2667 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2668 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2669 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2670 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2671 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2672 by John Taylor, on Flickr

The reservoirs were very dry, never seen them so low :shock:

ImageIMG_2673 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2674 by John Taylor, on Flickr

This was a cool Datson 350Z :P

On we trekked, taking in the beautiful views as we went and having the odd 'thrash' along when possible before heading to Newtown and our usual stop for a regroup before the race (cough) spirited ride to Crossways :twisted: Ryan dumped the Hi-Viz here to have play near the front but when we got to Crossways he informed us his bike had started to play up along the A483 and Simon led back to Baskerville while we all followed Ryan and his stinking bike :shock: :D We think it was the fuel additive he poured into his tank at Newtown, enough for 50 litres of fuel into about 10 litres :!: 'Younguns' eh :lol: The rain made a light appearance about 10 miles from the hotel but that was fine, the days riding was done.

ImageIMG_2675 by John Taylor, on Flickr

Back at the hotel all was well and after another welcome post ride beer - or two, we showered and went for our evening meal. everyone had enjoyed the day and the route which is always nice to hear.

ImageIMG_2677 by John Taylor, on Flickr

Early hours and the rain came and boy did it rain, enough to wake me up and it stayed, all night and the next morning, infant, it stayed with me for the first 180 bastard miles :lol: heading North to home.

ImageIMG_2680 by John Taylor, on Flickr

It was still raining at my lunch stop near Chester on the M56 but the weekend had been so good it didn't dampen my spirits at all :D #stillbuzzing

ImageIMG_2681 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2682 by John Taylor, on Flickr

It dried up around Lancaster and when I pulled into Southwaite Services on the M6 it was bone dry and had actually started to cheer up too. Waterproofs removed and black visor fitted for the run home 8) A very tidy lowered Volkswagen pick up came in next to me with Father and Son on board who had been stunt biking, it looked cool 8)

I arrived onto the drive at home about 7pm and the weekend will live long in my memory for several things but always the company and riding with like minded folk 8)

Cheers till the next adventure :wink:
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

boxerscott

Re: Baskerville Hall on the XJR Aug 2020

Postby boxerscott » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:41 pm

Thanks for sharing that John, it looked a full weekend. Nice photies. Well done. Yer mates bike top end will be well lubed by the sound of things :lol:

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Ride Reports”