Another 4 days in France

Done a "Ewan & Charley"? Been for a fried breakfast and taken pictures? Share the tales of your adventure in here

Moderators: Paul, slparry, Gromit

The Teutonic Tangerine

Another 4 days in France

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:51 pm

So another year has rolled around and it was time for the Dengie100 MCC annual trip to France.

14 People 9 bikes and one car (One ex pillion has Hip Trouble so can no longer ride). Headed for Montreuil-Sur-Mer which is no longer Sur Mer but which is a really old walled town with lots of fine restaurants and shops. We stayed at the Best western Hermitage (secure free parking for Bikes)for three nights and rode out for a two day odyssey. See face Book for maps and pictures of the trip.

https://www.facebook.com/Dengie-100-Mot ... 529170462/

On arrival at Calais at 13.00 a quick trip to a McDonalds for a coffee and a bite we then set off down the coast road via Sangatte, Wissant, Audighen, Boulogne and Etaples, turning inland; after a visit to the Etaples WW1 Cemetary, to arrive at Montreuil-Sur- Mer at about 15.15.

We covered around 660 miles in the four days, our longest ride being on Saturday where we managed 190 miles (I should add the average age of the riders is 55 with 4 aged 60 and one at 63).

Homeward bound yesterday was a pleasant ride up to Hardinghen to our favourite Eataminet for lunch before the last 25 minutes to the Tunnel check in.

Petrol was expensive at Euro 1.58 to Euro 1.62 a litre (about £1.50 litre) however for the empty roads of Northern France well worth the effort -

However coming back into Kent was a nightmare with motorway speed limits and the M20 Closed for 20 miles :-x

It was a great weekend in warm sunshine with good food and good friends.

We liked it so much that we will be back next year to explore other ride out.

Routes recorded using Yamaha My Ride App.

Sunday Route.jpg
Sunday Route.jpg (10.94 KiB) Viewed 9042 times
Saturday Route.jpg
Saturday Route.jpg (70.28 KiB) Viewed 9042 times
Friday Route.jpg
Friday Route.jpg (8.04 KiB) Viewed 9042 times
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

GerryB

Re: Another 4 days in France

Postby GerryB » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:27 pm

Thank you for the report I enjoyed reading ..

Well most of it ..

The comment about the distances being low because of the aged rider of 63 !!! :shock:

I'm 63 and regularly ride in excess of 200 miles a day !! :roll:

Several times in the last 4 years I've ridden the Santander / Bilbao trip to my village , 900 km in between 7 and 9 hours !!

Last year girlfriend and I rode to Aragon Motorworld to watch classic Endurance racing , plus 600km each way !

Gerry Bike days  (17).jpg
Gerry Bike days (17).jpg (216.86 KiB) Viewed 9038 times
Old man ... now .
Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:18 am

But I didn't tell you our average or top speeds on the basis that we don't want a ticket. :D :D
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

GerryB

Postby GerryB » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:33 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:But I didn't tell you our average or top speeds on the basis that we don't want a ticket. :D :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old man ... now .

Ex Off Road & Enduro Rider...

Return to “Ride Reports”