Wales take 2

Done a "Ewan & Charley"? Been for a fried breakfast and taken pictures? Share the tales of your adventure in here

Moderators: Paul, slparry, Gromit

The Teutonic Tangerine

Wales take 2

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:59 pm

In May this year the small club that I belong to based in Essex did a trip which included a day's riding in Wales - the past we've gone the whole hog and stayed in Wales itself - But its a long way in a day when we are all in our late 50's. - Unfortunately Stupid Boy (our Chairman) was unwell and went home on the Saturday so missed the fun in Wales.

Hence Wales Take 2:

Day one:
12 people on 10 bikes left Maldon in Essex at 09.30 on Friday 29th July - stopping for coffee at the services at the Junction of the A507 and A1(M) Near Stotfold. (about 50 miles)
Carrying on, via the Deer park at Woburn, we avoided as best we could Milton Keynes and headed for Chipping Norton (Around 60 miles). We have a regular favourite cafe here called The Old Mill Café & Bistro. We usually manage to get the whole downstairs room to ourselves and they look after us very well.
After lunch its about another 67 miles to the Premier Inn at Hereford (I know Hereford is not Wales but its about a hundred miles less than wee used to do to get to the Nuadd Arms in Llanwrytdd Wells, arriving at 4.00pm on the dot 177 miles for the Day)

Day Two:
11 people on 10 bikes went for a ride (one went horse rising with an old friend from Essex now living in Hereford). From Hereford to Crossgates for a fuel stop then from Crossgates, Llandridnod Wells it was, as planned, a spririted ride 23 miles up to Newtown on the A483 (if you don't know it look it up its a cracking road) then a quick few minutes chattering like excited school girls) then back again to Crossgates (averaging 48 miles an hour for the 46 miles - you try it on road s that had damp patches in places and you'll know how hard we were trying [only one sports bike between us] and lunch at the Café at Crossgates.

The route back to Hereford was A483 to Builth wells, A40 to Brecon, A470 to Talgarth then the A438 again back to Hereford. (193 Miles for the day).

Day Three: 09.15 time to go back home - via the Old Mill for Coffee then the services at Stotfold for lunch (this time we enjoyed the roundabouts of Milton Keynes and the Deer Park at Woburn) two short showers between Biggleswade and Stansted were the only rain we saw whilst riding and I was back home by 14.40 milage for the day 178 - total for the weekend 548. My BMWR1200RT managed 56 mpg on the way down and 60.1 mpg on the way back (I was sweeper) but only 49mpg on the ride out on Saturday.

Bikes taking Part were:
KTM 1290 Super Duke
Honda Crosstourer
BMW S1000
BMW R1200RT
BMWR1200GS x 3
BMWR1150 GS adventure
Triumph Tiger
Kawasaki Versys 1000

No breakdowns, No accidents, a few headaches and a couple of dodgy tummies (all self inflicted).

A great weekend: A few pictures are on our Facebook page (as are picture from all our exploits over the past few years.

https://www.facebook.com/Dengie-100-Mot ... 529170462/

(I'm trying to get some more from the guys that went. (however don't expect views or artistic photos they are too busy enjoying the roads to stop for pictures.

Roll on the next trip 1st September 4 days going to Valenciennes in France for a couple of days French riding returning home on the 4th 15 of us going on 11 bikes
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Topcat

Re: Wales take 2

Postby Topcat » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:24 pm

Good write up, thanks for that :D

Return to “Ride Reports”