Dirty Weekend

Done a "Ewan & Charley"? Been for a fried breakfast and taken pictures? Share the tales of your adventure in here

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

Dirty Weekend

Postby slparry » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:45 pm

(calm down at the back) :)

Decided to do some "softroading" with the F8GS

Stopped off at Maengwyn Café in Machynlleth for the "all day" breakfast

http://goo.gl/maps/iA23s

Then off up to the road from Machynlleth to Llyn Clwyedog which is stunningly gorgeous, however, I'd noticed a few times previously a track off to the right on the top out of Forge with a sign saying there was a wildlife reserve down there. So this time decided to go down the trail, just bumbling along at walking pace.

The wildlife reserve was a lovely small lake with stunning scenery. However, the dirt track carried on past it and being curious I pottered further along.

There were lots of buzzards and red kites overhead. Some of the buzzards were huge, loads bigger than others I've seen. I'm fairly sure Mid Wales has no Golden Eagles so they must have been buzzards.

Eventually I came to a dam, where the trail went down a very steep, very gravelly slope. I ummed and ahhed and eventually decided to walk it down. A third of the way down it occurred to me "What if this was a dead end" and I realised I'd probably not be able to get back up the slope, given the gravel, my rusty off road skills and the slippery ford at the bottom preventing a decent run at it.

However, I'd hit the point of no return as I just couldn't push the bike backwards up the slope. I took this pic as I walked back up to get my helmet and jacket. It's a LOT steeper than it looks.

To give an idea of the location it's here, it really was miles from nowhere

http://goo.gl/maps/r3VWc

Anyway I carried on, nervous that I "may" have burnt my bridges a bit but hey ho :) .. .of course there was no mobile signal so it would have been a long walk back to civilisation for help :) .

The scenery got better and better absolutely stunning, eventually dropping down to a chained gate into the forest. Thankfully there was a smaller gate for walkers and mountain bikers. Once through it was onto smoother forest dirt trails. In the forest it was lovely and peaceful with again lovely views and that cool pine smell.

Wasn't sure which way to head (note to self carry and OS map next time) ... but kept going downhill which seemed sensible. Eventually the dirt trail opened to a car park with a Ford Mondeo in it, and at the other end tarmac ... woooo hooo :) Never have I been so happy to see tarmac.

Looped back to Dinas Mawddwy and over Bwlch yr Groes (The Pass of the Cross the old pilgrim route)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bwlch_y_Groes

and down to Bala Lake for a well earned mug of tea and some lemon drizzle cake before making my way home :)

I love motorbikes :)
Last edited by slparry on Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:50 pm

Breakfast looks good (except for tinned tomatoes ...... that's just wrong :? )

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Herb

Postby Herb » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:51 pm

Nice pics. All day breakfasts and motorbikes somehow just go together.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:07 pm

Strangely enough I was pottering around there myself today :shock: I was exploring Artists valley, we must have been very close to one another at times, great minds and all that eh?
I also stopped in that cafe in Machynlleth at around 11am-ish. I also stopped at Pennal and visited Bron Yr Aur.
Those sausages look rank by the way, I settled for a bacon butty.

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:13 pm

Steve - you really need to get over to Lincs, those sausages look dreadful. ;)

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:21 pm

Gromit wrote:Steve - you really need to get over to Lincs, those sausages look dreadful. ;)

Yebbut there's no mountains there :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:23 pm

Boxered wrote:Strangely enough I was pottering around there myself today :shock: I was exploring Artists valley, we must have been very close to one another at times, great minds and all that eh?
I also stopped in that cafe in Machynlleth at around 11am-ish. I also stopped at Pennal and visited Bron Yr Aur.
Those sausages look rank by the way, I settled for a bacon butty.

Steve

I've been down mid Wales a few times recently while things calm down in North Wales after the spate of recent fatalities have upset north Wales police
--
Steve Parry

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:27 pm

Gromit wrote:Steve - you really need to get over to Lincs, those sausages look dreadful. ;)

Rank = dreadfull, But hell yeah, i would push my bike up Steep Hill ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=JopHD0pzU_8 ) for a plate of Lincs bangers :lol:

Steve
Last edited by Boxered on Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Well-weathered leather

Hot metal and oil

The scented country air

Sunlight on chrome

Every nerve aware

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:34 pm

slparry wrote:
I've been down mid Wales a few times recently while things calm down in North Wales after the spate of recent fatalities have upset north Wales police

I reckon a Trixter weekend in mid Wales would go down a storm, if based ourselves in Brecon we could have a wide variety of routes to choose from, black mountains etc.
And Brecon has a wide choice of accommodation to suit all pockets.
Just sayin :)

Steve
Well-weathered leather

Hot metal and oil

The scented country air

Sunlight on chrome

Every nerve aware

SP250

Postby SP250 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:12 am

Best you get on and organise it then Steve........
Give it a month after the Yorkshire one and we should still have reasonable weather at the end of October!
:D
John M

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:28 pm

Boxered wrote:
slparry wrote:

I reckon a Trixter weekend in mid Wales would go down a storm, if based ourselves in Brecon we could have a wide variety of routes to choose from, black mountains etc.
And Brecon has a wide choice of accommodation to suit all pockets.
Just sayin :)

Steve

This has been mentioned before, probably because its a rather brilliant idea :)
Steve, count me in :salute:

The breakfast needs black pudding

Steve

f90x

Postby f90x » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:11 pm

I'm up for mid wales (If I can make it) Those sausages look rank and tinned tomatoes are a no-no.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Doctor Hfuhruhuhr

Postby Doctor Hfuhruhuhr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:48 pm

Was up Lake Vyrnwy Saturday afternoon took the road up from Bala first time I had been up there,rode round the lake and saw the road to Dinas Mawddwy Wish I had gone back that way

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:15 pm

Doctor Hfuhruhuhr wrote:Was up Lake Vyrnwy Saturday afternoon took the road up from Bala first time I had been up there,rode round the lake and saw the road to Dinas Mawddwy Wish I had gone back that way

did you enjoy your trip?
--
Steve Parry

Doctor Hfuhruhuhr

Postby Doctor Hfuhruhuhr » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:19 pm

did you enjoy your trip?
Yes had a great day riding on brilliant roads

Return to “Ride Reports”