F700GS test ride ....

Done a "Ewan & Charley"? Been for a fried breakfast and taken pictures? Share the tales of your adventure in here

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon May 12, 2014 11:54 am

Dog Tyred wrote:
My current total is 4!! and I still have two of those :oops:

Greg - get to the back of the class. :D

<I daren't count how many bikes I've owned> :oops:

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon May 12, 2014 12:41 pm

Gromit wrote:Been doing a bit of homework since Steve started this thread - it's got me interested in the idea of changing my bike. I don't do many miles now (done less than 3k on the bike since MoT last Aug) and am rapidly coming round to the idea of a bike which is comfy, more upright, fun and with enough power to not frustrate.

Seems the F bikes' engine problems are now a thing of the past - the originals suffered piston slap issues for example - and a revvy parallel twin does appeal.

Reckon one of these could become an 'only bike' Steve?'.

I love the Blackbird, had it 7.5 years now, but as 90% of my riding is just pootling around backroads it's a bit of a beast and I just don't ride it enough to justify any more. In the Blackbird's favour though is that it's probably worth more to me as a bike than what I could sell it for (I'd probably ask c£1300 for it with all the bits).

It "may" well end up being the only bike. The Funduro "may" go or to be honest for the money I'd get for it I could keep it for snow use and give the F8GS an easier time in the winter.

The K has become harder to justify, sure it's awesomely quick, and I genuinely cannot think of a more capable distance sports tourer with its ability to do the touring and the sports things so well. However, it was bought for a time when lots of two up trips were anticipated and to be honest that requirement is long gone.

The 'Cup ... well it makes me smile every time I go out on it, although those fruity pipes do bring out the aggressive in me :)

The F8GS has a range of engine sprockets available so if I were going say to the Cote d'Azur I'd probably up the gearing a tooth or two as it only takes a few minutes, just to make motorway use a more pleasant (did the same when I went on my KLR600 years ago).

The R80RS, can't really sell that one as it's the emotional attachment of being my Uncles bike. Of course I could always use it for the annual Highlands tour as at one time R80RS's were highly regarded as tourers :)

I tend not to change very often, OK you get to know your bikes better that way, and get them run in (many who change boxers every year or two may not even ever get them with a nice gearbox as they often need >20K on the box for it to start feeling smoother for example)

The negative is of course it's easy to have a vehicle that was chosen for a different lifestyle reason.

Having said that I am still out on whether to replace the K with an R1150RT (or I've even looked at an R1200ST <fx:hangs head in shame>)

Anyway .... let's see.... and if I keep the K I'll not be too unhappy :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon May 12, 2014 2:20 pm

Thanks Steve - I shall watch your progress wit'800 with keen interest. :)

I'm off down to Cambridge to see my poorly Mum on thursday and pass within a mile or 2 of Balderston's in Peterboghorror so it would be daft not to grab a demo on their 800GS on the way home. ;)

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Mon May 12, 2014 4:48 pm

popsky wrote:
Dog Tyred wrote:
Bloody hell Steve (Hayden) looking at your Flickr page photos reminds me just how many bikes you have had over the years !!

DT

That's what it's like when your so young Greg!!!!! Don't worry you'll catch up one day :wink:

But Phil, Steve and I have been riding for the same number of years and I am 6 months older than him as well (although you would never believe it of course!! :twisted: ).

I work out Steve has had 16 bikes in the same time I have had 4!

I guess my next bike will be a GS (when I can't stand the drop bars any longer) and that will see me to biking retirement (due to old age hopefully!!)

DT
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon May 12, 2014 6:18 pm

Retirement Greg!!!! Gway man :) I'm 56 this year, and hope to have another 44 years riding unless snuffing it gets in the way :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

popsky

Postby popsky » Mon May 12, 2014 6:55 pm

Dog Tyred wrote:
popsky wrote:
Dog Tyred wrote:
Bloody hell Steve (Hayden) looking at your Flickr page photos reminds me just how many bikes you have had over the years !!

DT

That's what it's like when your so young Greg!!!!! Don't worry you'll catch up one day :wink:

But Phil, Steve and I have been riding for the same number of years and I am 6 months older than him as well (although you would never believe it of course!! :twisted: ).

I work out Steve has had 16 bikes in the same time I have had 4!

I guess my next bike will be a GS (when I can't stand the drop bars any longer) and that will see me to biking retirement (due to old age hopefully!!)

DT
:wink:

If this is true Greg then you are just a TIGHT ARSE :wink:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Mon May 12, 2014 7:08 pm

Dog Tyred wrote:Steve and I have been riding for the same number of years and I am 6 months older than him as well (although you would never believe it of course!! :twisted: ).

Don`t worry about your `buisness lunch` profile Greg, it happens to alot of guys our age.... :twisted: :twisted:

( that is what you meant, isn`t it?.. :lol: )

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Mon May 12, 2014 8:51 pm

Hayden wrote:
Don`t worry about your `buisness lunch` profile Greg, it happens to alot of guys our age.... :twisted: :twisted:

( that is what you meant, isn`t it?.. :lol: )

How very dare you!
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Mon May 12, 2014 9:43 pm

Steve, my GT went to a new home today. :(

I was sad to see it go, but I'm also quite relieved to be honest!

Used the proceeds to pay off the (very small) loan for the R100S and a few other bits and pieces. Debt free and only have the very cheap the run airhead now! :) Going to try and stick to the one bike from now on... :roll: :roll: :roll:
----------------------------------------------
Steve.

1980 R100S
2003 VFR 800
A Silly Van.

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon May 12, 2014 9:50 pm

Steve1200S wrote:Steve, my GT went to a new home today. :(

I was sad to see it go, but I'm also quite relieved to be honest!

Used the proceeds to pay off the (very small) loan for the R100S and a few other bits and pieces. Debt free and only have the very cheap the run airhead now! :) Going to try and stick to the one bike from now on... :roll: :roll: :roll:

excellent!!!

If mine doesn't go I'll keep it as I really do like it s an awesome sports tourer, and touch wood mine didn't have the clutch probs yours did :)
--
Steve Parry

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue May 13, 2014 11:37 am

A couple of tips from UKGSer:

F650/700/800 twins

1) When you clean your 'bike, just reach in and spin that radiator fan, make sure it's free to turn.
Even a very small stone or pebble bounced in to the radiator grill housing (easy done on the gravelly back roads) will stop the fan cutting in

2) Check the main Torx that secures your prop stand to its mounting. It works loose and your prop stand becomes more floppy doppy! You'll not notice until it's too late

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue May 13, 2014 12:56 pm

Blackal wrote:A couple of tips from UKGSer:

F650/700/800 twins

1) When you clean your 'bike, just reach in and spin that radiator fan, make sure it's free to turn.
Even a very small stone or pebble bounced in to the radiator grill housing (easy done on the gravelly back roads) will stop the fan cutting in

2) Check the main Torx that secures your prop stand to its mounting. It works loose and your prop stand becomes more floppy doppy! You'll not notice until it's too late

Al

Thanks Al, already been nosing around that part :) Nice to see that one of Mikeys hitting 100,000 miles and still looking mint!
--
Steve Parry

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:19 pm

Steve , how is the F800 looking/coping with winter?

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:14 pm

nab 301 wrote:Steve , how is the F800 looking/coping with winter?

Hi Nigel

Soz taken a while to reply, it's all been great so far. I'm using FS365 in the hope of staving off the worst of the ravages.

Gave it a clean just before Xmas and it all seemed OK under the layers of grime and FS365, so reapplied and fingers crossed.

http://www.scottoiler.com/us/products/s ... s-365.html

Have now completed 5,500 miles on it so replaced the tyres for Anakee 2's.

Got to test them in the snow a couple of weeks back and fair play the bikes coped with the very steep hill on the way home, even if the Toyota Yaris that slithered past me only to grind to a halt a few yards further on didn't :)

Although the 700 version is not as "sexy" as the full blown enduro style 800 I think the 700 would make a better winter bike as it's a bit lower and easier to dab a foot down in snowy conditions. However, the 800 worked better than expected.

Fingers crossed, nothings gone wrong, not even adjusted the chain so from new to 5,500 on the same chain adjustment.

The Loobman oiler probably helps in that regard.

http://www.loobman.co.uk

The only thing that's "happened" was a recall for a replacement right hand switch cluster. Mine hadn't had a problem.

Oh and in -5C the other morning my ignition key was frozen in the lock when I got to work so I couldn't turn the bike off. Once I freed it I squirted lots of FS365 into it and it's not frozen in there on subsequent mornings.

I fitted a cheapo top box I snagged on eBay for a mere £11 brand new (including a universal mount) as I wasn't prepared to pay £300 for BMW's top case and carrier! It works well, holds a helmet (just). I also fitted a Puig screen I got off eBay, it's taller so keeps more weather off but does seem to generate more wind noise.

The seat initially felt like a torture device but now either it, or my a*se has broken in and it feels fine.

Now those who know me may find this bit hard to believe ...... although it's approaching 6000 miles I still haven't exceeded 5000 rpm yet (80 mph) being happy enough to bimble along on it :)

Getting around 60 mpg. Reserve comes up around 150 miles with another 4 litres left after.
--
Steve Parry

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:54 pm

Interesting , I have 1 5L can of fs365 myself and I did the frozen ignition thing myself a few years ago , luckily this year has been a bit kinder .

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Return to “Ride Reports”