My Scotland 2013 weekend

Done a "Ewan & Charley"? Been for a fried breakfast and taken pictures? Share the tales of your adventure in here

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

My Scotland 2013 weekend

Postby slparry » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:12 pm

Just got home after an awesome weekend in the Highlands, did 1296.6 miles home to home. The weather has been awesome!

Day one was the tedious slog up the motorway to Glasgow, as usual we turned off into the Lake District for lunch at the Kirkstone Pass Inn

then down the pass towards Ullswater and on to pick the motorway up at Penrith

Then onwards to the Erskine Bridge Hotel, park the bikes up and a quick change out of bike gear and down to their swimming pool/jacuzzi/steam room which is the perfect way to relax after a long ride.

Then hit the bar, decided not to eat in the restaurant as there was a large coach party in there so had a few pints and a cheese burger in the bar.

Day two and we're off to Brora via Aberfoyle and the excellent Duke's Pass (lots of series of continuous s bends made for fantastic challenging fun) ... Stopped at a little village called Brig O'Turk at the tearooms.

Where the pretty Hungarian blonde owner talked us into some lemon and poppy seed drizzle cake to go along with one of the best cups of coffee I've ever tasted!

We got chatting with the fishmonger who was delivering to the cafe, he popped to his van to get his phone to show us a pic of his GSXR600 ... sadly he put his keys on the drivers seat as he got his phone, and while talking to us the van automatically locked ... oops ... luckily he'd left the window an inch open so we left him "fishing" with a coat hanger.

Carried on through the usual lovely scenery to the Green Welly at Tyndrum and stopped for a sandwich for lunch. There was some supercar trip on and about 40 Astons, Lambo's, Ferarris, Porsches etc etc all drove out of there in convoy (I overtook the lot of them later on Glencoe as they were stuck in traffic :) ) ... riding over Glencoe is a pleasure every time! I bought a copy of MCN at Tyndrum as I received a text message to say I was in it this week :) . sadly Ian put it in his top box and accidently left the lid open so he ended up being an 80mph litter bug (sorry Scotland).

From there we made our way towards Fort William and on up the great glen towards Inverness. We stopped at Drumnadrochit (next to Loch Ness) to see the local highland games but they were sadly ending so no real photo ops.

Before Inverness we cut around it and picked up the A9 on the north side, we arrived at The Sutherland Inn, Brora http://www.sutherlandinn.co.uk/ quite late. The accomodation was basic but clean and at £35 for B&B cheap enough, and of course being an inn food and drink was convenient :)

Day 3 (Sunday) is the day I was looking forward to most as we were going up to John O'Groats and on to the A836/A838 to Ullapool. It started off very foggy up the A9, this part of the A9 is a lot more pleasant than the dual carraigeway bits below Inverness. There were a few hairpins on the route that made the coast road a challenge in the fog :) Filled up at Tesco in Wick. Bit by bit the roads were getting steadily quieter, and the scenery more bleak and dramatic in places.

Did the photo op thing at John O'Groats

22 years ago I visited Lands End, so I guess it's taken me 22 years get to the other end :)

Then along the A836 and A838 on Scotlands northern coast to Ullapool. All I can say is wow. There are excellent driving roads, and there are excellent driving routes both merge bits of one another. The Northern Trail is an awesome route, in no way a fast drive, but one of the best (if not the best) route with achingly gorgeous scenery I've ever ridden in the UK. 130 odd miles of scenery that just kept getting better and better, almost no other traffic, well surfaced single track mostly hugging the coast and climbing up and down the hillsides. I was stunned :)

Lunch was here

and was a large steaming bowl of Cullen Skink .... yum!

We stopped for coffee in a place called Laid in a cafe that had a Bike Magazine approval :) Nice guy who owned it, moved there in 1970 from Yorkshire to hand dive for scallops, and never returned to Yorkshire !

The beaches looked so inviting and the water crystal clear

Watched some guys doing some amazing stuff up the hillside here on proper trials bikes (you can just see one of them)

eventually it came to an end and we dropped into Ullapool for fuel

Then on to the overnight stop at The Aultguish Inn, Garve. Really is in the middle of nowhere but did a nice room and good food.

Next morning, day 4 (Monday) this was rush hour on the road from Ullapool :)

We rode south and turned onto the A832 to Loch Torridon / Lochcarron and down to Eilean Donan castle

From there we made our way towards Glencoe again via Fort William and lunch of another bowl of Cullen Skink at the Green Welly.

This was parked next to me and looked a very useful bit of kit :)

We decided over lunch that as we'd had so much fun on the Duke's Pass from Aberfoyle that we'd go that route back (rather than the tedious Loch Lomond route) to the Erskine Bridge.

It was even more fun the other way :)

Finally arrived at the Erskine Bridge for the normal pool>bar>dinner routine last night before riding home the next day (today)

Absolutely shattered but stunned. It's the first time I've seen Scotland without rain :)

As I said we did 1296 miles, the K12GT averaged 58.8 over the journey which I think's pretty good. It was brilliant for the entire trip. Allowing comfort on the motorway and thanks to the ESA excellent handling when treading on on some of the faster highland roads!
Last edited by slparry on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

eyore

Postby eyore » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:54 pm

We missed you here, it was very quiet :lol: Great trip and lovely pics too.
You can keep Europe as far as I am concerned, Scotland in good weather beats it every time for me, particularly the scenery and lack of traffic.
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:12 pm

eyore wrote:We missed you here, it was very quiet :lol: Great trip and lovely pics too.
You can keep Europe as far as I am concerned, Scotland in good weather beats it every time for me, particularly the scenery and lack of traffic.

precisely my attitude, this was the first time I'd experienced Scotland without rain and it really cannot be bettered.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:06 pm

--
Steve Parry

eyore

Postby eyore » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:02 am

Nice video Steve, especially Glencoe. Never seen so much traffic on it though as my trips are usually before or after main holiday season.
Nice shot of the otter, was that taken with a long lens or how close did you get to it? Also wondering what video editing programme you use? I need recomendations on video editing for idiots. :oops:

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:28 am

eyore wrote:Nice video Steve, especially Glencoe. Never seen so much traffic on it though as my trips are usually before or after main holiday season.
Nice shot of the otter, was that taken with a long lens or how close did you get to it? Also wondering what video editing programme you use? I need recomendations on video editing for idiots. :oops:

Glencoe was a bit held up because there was a convoy of supercars going slowly over it :) The video over Glencoe is a bit poor quality because I was just trying out my mobile phone in my sat nav bag but facing forwards.

The otter is a zoom on my mobile phone, all of the video is shot and created on my Blackberry Z10, there's a free app on the phone called Story Maker that handles the video creation and the editing of the media contained in the video and adding music from the list of mp3's on the phone etc. Quite easy to use for an on phone program :)
--
Steve Parry

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:44 am

A friend of mine used to teach in Ullapool and then moved south to Dumfries - I often ask why. When I win the lottery I'm moving somewhere isolated up the west coast - as long as there's a bar!! you'll all be welcome - now where's that lottery ticket?
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

eyore

Postby eyore » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:53 am

dave the german wrote:A friend of mine used to teach in Ullapool and then moved south to Dumfries - I often ask why. When I win the lottery I'm moving somewhere isolated up the west coast - as long as there's a bar!! you'll all be welcome - now where's that lottery ticket?

In 1993 I spent a year working in a very beautiful and isolated area in Kerry, on Valentia Island (connected by a bridge since about mid 80s) nonetheless same as western Highlands. All I would say is, it seems beautifully romantic to a visitor who only sees it in the summer, but try living there in the winter :shock: No visitors, dreadful weather and dark evenings.

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:50 am

Nice photos Steve, I`am only jealous...alot.
I rode up to Ullapool via Glencoe/Fort William/Inverness a few years ago with DT, one of the best ride outs I can remember, just love the roads/scenery up there.
How did the rather handsome black bike in the pics get on?.. :wink: ..just curious.. :D

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:15 am

Hayden wrote:Nice photos Steve, I`am only jealous...alot.
I rode up to Ullapool via Glencoe/Fort William/Inverness a few years ago with DT, one of the best ride outs I can remember, just love the roads/scenery up there.
How did the rather handsome black bike in the pics get on?.. :wink: ..just curious.. :D

That was Ian's rs he normally goes up on his r11rs.

The Triumph did very well, recorded very good mpg, and was better at the twisty stuff than the R11RS but he did complain a lot more about having a sore backside, which surprised me as it has a corbin seat on it where the BM has the oem one. Ian decided not to use his panniers so only had his top box and it contained all he needed

The K too was totally faultless (wooo hooo :) ) and recorded 68 mpg when on cruise control at 70 mph on the motorway. We sat at the legal limit all the way up and being honest it didn't take us any longer as we didn't need to stop for fuel enroute :)

I got from Wrexham to Kirkstone Pass to Aberfoyle on one tank (295 miles) and still had about 25 miles left in reserve :)
--
Steve Parry

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:09 pm

eyore wrote:
dave the german wrote:A friend of mine used to teach in Ullapool and then moved south to Dumfries - I often ask why. When I win the lottery I'm moving somewhere isolated up the west coast - as long as there's a bar!! you'll all be welcome - now where's that lottery ticket?

In 1993 I spent a year working in a very beautiful and isolated area in Kerry, on Valentia Island (connected by a bridge since about mid 80s) nonetheless same as western Highlands. All I would say is, it seems beautifully romantic to a visitor who only sees it in the summer, but try living there in the winter :shock: No visitors, dreadful weather and dark evenings.

That would suit me - I'm an anti social git :lol:
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:24 pm

slparry wrote:

I got from Wrexham to Kirkstone Pass to Aberfoyle on one tank (295 miles) and still had about 25 miles left in reserve :)

:shock: ....impressive bit of kit..... :thumbleft:

McBoxer

Postby McBoxer » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:25 am

slparry wrote:....but he did complain a lot more about having a sore backside....

Don't say any more - What happens in the Highlands STAYS in the Highlands, right? (Sorry - did I lower the tone? :lol: )
Looks like a great trip - I'd love to get back up there and explore some more. There's so much of Scotland I haven't seen - and I grew up there!
Big Scottish Al

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:01 am

Hayden wrote:I rode up to Ullapool via Glencoe/Fort William/Inverness a few years ago with DT, one of the best ride outs I can remember

Stevie

Arghh yes I remember it well. Rode from Birmingham to Fort William via the Lakes on day one. Pissed it down from the Lakes all the way up to FW. Dropped my bike at the Little Chef just over the Erskine Bridge (so knackered I forgot to put the side stand down :oops: ). Blimey that was a long day (402 miles), made worse by the torrential rain!!

Day two was foggy in the morning but turned out to be a fabulous sunny day. FW to Inverness then across to Ullapool, then back down the coast road (missing out Applecross due to fatigue, my clutch hand was killing me!) to Dornie (castle)

Then back to FW via the A87/A82 after a couple of hours hold up at the Cluanie Inn (while rozzers scrapped an unfortunate biker off the road). Imagine being stranded at a pub and not being able to have a pint!! Grub was good though). A mega, mega day, something like 12/13 hours and 300 odd miles if my memory serves me right? http://goo.gl/maps/KtMWs

Next day wet so a bimble to Mallaig for a cuppa then back to FW.

Day 4 returned home via Glencoe (in the rain).

A truley fabulous trip which me must do again...soon! next time we must include Applecross.

DT
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

eyore

Postby eyore » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:49 am

Nice pic parked beside the takeaway van :D

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Return to “Ride Reports”