Garmisch trip

Done a "Ewan & Charley"? Been for a fried breakfast and taken pictures? Share the tales of your adventure in here

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

dave the german

Garmisch trip

Postby dave the german » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:35 pm

Well the trip to Garmisch is now just a memory - albeit a happy one. The group was 90 strong but although we had route maps and the services of tour leaders (brisk, leisurely) we were free to do our own thing. We met early on a Wednesday morning at the Chunnel and were split across 2 trains. For those that have never used the train, it takes about 35 mins and for those who didn't fill up, there's petrol available just after getting off the train.

We did the first 50 miles on the autoroute just to get away from the the crossing area - well, I say "we" - I didn't cos I followed someone from the group who was making some very "positive" direction changes so I figured He must know where he was going. It turns out he kept going as I seemed to be following him making some very "positive" direction changes!!! And so the adventure started.

Anyway, after getting back on the right track, and meeting someone with sat nav (I only had the backup paper version) we headed off the autoroute onto the D939 to Cambrai and a stop in the town centre for lunch.

Leaving Cambrai, we picked up the D960 heading for Bohain and Guise. Now we were getting onto proper roads and the weather was getting better. The roads after this were twisty and fun although at times a little worrying as petrol stops were few and far between so being on the cautious side, I filled up more often than was probably needed.

At Guise we picked up the D31 heading for Hirson with roads the same as previous - twisty and fun - this was to be the same for the rest of the day.

At Hirson we picked up the D3050 towards Chimay then N99 towards Rocroi. It's worth stopping here for a coffee. It's a small fortified village in the shape of a star. It's possible to ride around the walls in 5 minutes then stop in the cobbled centre for refreshments.

From there it was through some small villages which I can't remember but roads the same!! We were split over 2 hotels - the first, Hotel des Ardennes in Corbion sur Semois and the second, which I was fortunate to be in, the Hotel de la Poste. I say fortunate because, although they wee only about 5 miles apart, those 5 miles were absolutely FANTASTIC - twisty, tree lined fun!! The location of the hotels was great - in a small village beside the river with plenty of eateries. In total, about 230 miles and most of it on quiet twisty roads so it was about 7ish when I got to the hotel. in true Boxertrix fashion, beer, shower then food.
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:04 pm

Sounds great Dave .... however ....

--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:53 pm

Yep Steve, thanks for that :lol: . I haven't downloaded the pics yet. And when I do, I can guarantee that I cannot upload them to this site no matter how many times I try. Shame of it is, I didn't take too many pics, just mainly of the old bikes at Garmisch but I'll do me best to resolve this ASAP (which could be next week cos I'm doing overtime to pay for the trip!!)
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Return to “Ride Reports”