Tour of Northern Scotland 2013

Done a "Ewan & Charley"? Been for a fried breakfast and taken pictures? Share the tales of your adventure in here

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

StreetFlatTwin

Tour of Northern Scotland 2013

Postby StreetFlatTwin » Mon May 06, 2013 9:25 pm

Well I have just returned from my tour of North Scotland 786 miles in 3 days. In a word it was EPIC. We left on Friday morning with light rain which increased to heavy rain and blustery winds, then as we continued North through the Cairngorm National Park that moved to full blown SNOW - In May!!!

Anyway we arrived at our 1st nights digs in Wick at 1930hrs with at least 2 of the boys in the early stages of Hyperthermia (uncontrollable shaking and unable to speak!!!) I was as usual my sympathetic self pissing myself laughing at them hysterically!!! My thoughts being well I had been in the same weather for the same time and I was fine (Thanks Mr Hein Gerrick and Mr Goretex!!)

Anyway the B&B was fantastic the proprietor (June Burns an amazing Geordie Woman) took all of our wet kit and dried it all and left the heating on all night so it would be dry for us for the 2nd day. Once all showered and heated up we ordered an Indian and June took us in her car (it was still pissing with rain) to the local Tesco for supplies before picking up our dinner!!!

(highly recommended if you need a B&B in that area see here
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Revi ... tland.html)

Day 2 was met with light rain and we headed for John O'Groats

and the obligatory photo opportunity then onto Dunnet Head lighthouse for the most northern place on the UK mainland and fantastic break in the weather!!!

Then it was across the top of Scotland (Past Dounreay) then south from Tongue and across to Dornie Hotel which is directly across the road from Eilean Donan castle.

Day 3 was the a cruise back down to Glasgow.

The R1200S including BOTH of my panniers faired amazingly-- fast and comfortable and with heated grips!!!

I have stacks of video from my onboard GoPro which I haven't had time to edit but here is a teaser!

http://youtu.be/C7LT9kl91HI

Return to “Ride Reports”