I love trips :)

Done a "Ewan & Charley"? Been for a fried breakfast and taken pictures? Share the tales of your adventure in here

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

I love trips :)

Postby slparry » Fri May 03, 2013 9:58 pm

Every year a couple of us go up to the Highlands for the August Bank Holiday weekend, the K is awesome for the journey having the comfort for the motorway slog and the handling and performance to enjoy the best of the Highlands. Add in the luggage capacity and the heated seats for if it gets cooler and the barn door to sit behind for the inevitable rain protection and it does the job fantastically well.

This is this years planned route

--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

eyore

Postby eyore » Wed May 08, 2013 3:17 pm

Absolutely love Scotland too, we went in 2008/2010/and 2012. First year did B&B, second time hotel, third time rented a cottage which was the best as you can eat and drink in, and every day go riding without any luggage to cramp your style. First two trips were in mid summer so it was pretty busy, last time we did third week in May and apart from the snow it was brilliant :lol:
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

StreetFlatTwin

Postby StreetFlatTwin » Wed May 08, 2013 10:12 pm

I would issue a warning about the roads in the north of Scotland, after returning from our trip there is not one bike (or helmet) returned undamaged due to flying stones.
My mates Tuono Has no front near side indicator and no headlight glass due to flying stones! The Z1000 undertray, tank and front mudguard will need repainting!
My R12S has a few stone chips on the carbon headlight fairing and that's through Venturafilm!! The silver and black of the cylinders have quite a few stone chips as well! The front on the engine and exhaust pipes are all covered in tar as well!

Just a warning if you don't have any clear film fitted then be prepared to stay well away from the bike in front!

But that trip sounds amazing-where are your overnight stops-Ivan work it out from the map??

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Thu May 09, 2013 4:21 am

Probably nearest I'll get to biking in Scotland this year is a 100 mile ride around the coast of Islay (on a pushbike in a day) in August. Friend of mine has a house she lets out on Islay, so if anyone interested let me know and I'll give you the details. Sorry if this is in the wrong place or inappropriate but just thought about it as I was typing
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Thu May 09, 2013 5:00 am

StreetFlatTwin wrote:My mates Tuono Has no front near side indicator and no headlight glass due to flying stones! The Z1000 undertray, tank and front mudguard will need repainting!
?

Did your mate get lost and wander into Drumchapel? :shock:

Al. :oops:
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

eyore

Postby eyore » Thu May 09, 2013 7:28 am

[quote="StreetFlatTwin"]Just a warning if you don't have any clear film fitted then be prepared to stay well away from the bike in front!

quote]

I am always the bike in front ..............................so thats ok then :lol:

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu May 09, 2013 10:24 am

eyore wrote:
StreetFlatTwin wrote:Just a warning if you don't have any clear film fitted then be prepared to stay well away from the bike in front!

quote]

I am always the bike in front ..............................so thats ok then :lol:

me too :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu May 09, 2013 10:30 am

StreetFlatTwin wrote:I would issue a warning about the roads in the north of Scotland, after returning from our trip there is not one bike (or helmet) returned undamaged due to flying stones.
My mates Tuono Has no front near side indicator and no headlight glass due to flying stones! The Z1000 undertray, tank and front mudguard will need repainting!
My R12S has a few stone chips on the carbon headlight fairing and that's through Venturafilm!! The silver and black of the cylinders have quite a few stone chips as well! The front on the engine and exhaust pipes are all covered in tar as well!

Just a warning if you don't have any clear film fitted then be prepared to stay well away from the bike in front!

But that trip sounds amazing-where are your overnight stops-Ivan work it out from the map??

We're stopping at Erskine Bridge on the way up, then

http://www.sutherlandinn.com
then
http://www.aultguish.co.uk/

then Erskine bridge again before the dreary trek down the motorway home.

I have in mind for a future trip to go from Wrexham to Holyhead, get the ferry to Dublin or Dun Laoghaire then ride up to Belfast way and get the ferry to Stranraer. I think it adds £100 to the trip but I quite fancy it as it means reduced motorway and all the UK in one trip :)
--
Steve Parry

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Thu May 09, 2013 11:49 am

Seems like a nice way to vary the trip Steve.

I need to find an better route to Darlington next time I'm heading up to Scotland. I really like the A68 to Jedburgh but hate the A1 stint before you get there.

Not sure I could hack the motorway all the way up to Glasgow....
----------------------------------------------
Steve.

1980 R100S
2003 VFR 800
A Silly Van.

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu May 09, 2013 11:57 am

Steve1200S wrote:Seems like a nice way to vary the trip Steve.

I need to find an better route to Darlington next time I'm heading up to Scotland. I really like the A68 to Jedburgh but hate the A1 stint before you get there.

Not sure I could hack the motorway all the way up to Glasgow....

we tend to skip off into the Lakes for lunch at the Kirkstone Pass Inn which breaks it up, then a coffee stop at Moffat.

I've seen several people trailering their bikes and thought "pah wusses" but thinking about it, shoving two big bikes on a trailer, driving the car to Scotland is always going to be better that the bike on the motorway and I'd think cheaper in fuel and tyres too. The Erskine lets people leave their cars there for a couple of quid too as people park there when getting flights from the airport.

Saves the motorway flattening the tyres :)
--
Steve Parry

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:32 pm

slparry wrote:

I have in mind for a future trip to go from Wrexham to Holyhead, get the ferry to Dublin or Dun Laoghaire then ride up to Belfast way and get the ferry to Stranraer. I think it adds £100 to the trip but I quite fancy it as it means reduced motorway and all the UK in one trip :)

We do actually have motorway / motorway grade dual carriageway all the way to Belfast.... The alternatives can be ok on an Enfield if a little slow and tedious :lol:

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Davey Bee

Postby Davey Bee » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:02 pm

What is wrong with you guys, read a map. I travel often from London to Sheffield, in the summer months I don't use the motorways. Yes it takes more time, but I enjoy the trip and treet it as a weekend ride out. I'll be heading to Aberdeen to pick up a bike in a couple of weeks with the intention of avoiding the motorways all the way back. Remember it's the way our fathers did it.

Davey Bee

Postby Davey Bee » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:03 pm

What is wrong with you guys, read a map. I travel often from London to Sheffield, in the summer months I don't use the motorways. Yes it takes more time, but I enjoy the trip and treet it as a weekend ride out. I'll be heading to Aberdeen to pick up a bike in a couple of weeks with the intention of avoiding the motorways all the way back. Remember it's the way our fathers did it.

eyore

Postby eyore » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:36 pm

A map,a map, a map................nope you have me there. Whats a map? :wink:

What are you collecting in Aberdeen then??

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Davey Bee

Postby Davey Bee » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:44 pm

A bit more old fashion technology, that works. A blackbird. I know I know, but this is a good site.

Return to “Ride Reports”