Scotland 2012

Done a "Ewan & Charley"? Been for a fried breakfast and taken pictures? Share the tales of your adventure in here

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

Scotland 2012

Postby slparry » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:46 pm

Well given we had tons of time to get up there, I set the cruise control on the K1200GT to 68mph on the motorway..... I'm not normally known for restraint but this time it resulted in 65mpg ....

I got 310 miles out of that tankfull :)

We stopped over at our usually stop in Glasgow, the Erskine Bridge Hotel, £27 for bed and breakfast, including use of the swimming pool and jacuzzi etc which is nice after a day in the saddle :)

Next day over towards Inveraray

and then up to the Corran Ferry

and a spot of lunch at the Ardgour Inn.

Then on the A861, gorgeous road, through Strontian which apparently gave its name to the element :)

Then up to Mallaig to get the ferry over to Skye through the endlessly gorgeous scenery and exquisite roads. My riding companion, Ian had to get fuel from a small village just off the main Mallaig road... £1.60 per litre .... ouch

Over Skye and its impressive bridge and through to Eilean Donan castle for the ubiquitous touristy photo.

From there onto the even quieter roads via Lochcarron to the start of the Applecross Pass.

It's a stunning place

With awesome views

but low cloud was an issue :)

Some midgies managed to get into my helmet vent while taking pics .... nasty little bastards :(

Then stopping over at the Applecross Inn for the night, and a gorgeous bowl of Mussels starter with a huge mixed seafood linguine main course washed down with a Chilean white ... yum!!! One of the waiteress's was from South Africa, turned out from not far from where I'd worked out there, small world I guess!

After a good nights kip and a HUGE breakfast the next morning it was on around the Wester Ross coastal trail. Again stunning views.... and had to wait for a couple of locals to clear the road :)

Looking back over to Applecross

Sadly I believe this is where the tragedy involving this weekends canoe drownings occured :(

Stopped at Kinlochewe at a little cafe mid morning for a fresh banana milk shake ... yum

Got into a crazy dice with a local in a Focus ST after Poolewe, had a real hard job keeping him in sight ... at one point his car was on three wheels around a corner!!! :) I really should grow up.

He turned off and normal bimbling recommenced well until we turned on the Ullapool road, that's a fast road :)

Had fish and chips from the excellent Seaforth and sat on the front to eat them :)

http://www.theseaforth.com/

Then back track to Loch Ness for the night at the gorgeous Loch Ness Inn. Excellent food although the breakfast was not as good as the Applecross Inn.

Next day stop to take a couple of pics of Urqhart Castle

The days riding was in glorious weather, down to Fort William, Oban and the A83 and back to Glasgow to the Erskine to over night before facing the challenging weather home today :) Awesome weekend!
Last edited by slparry on Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:20 pm

8) 8)

popsky

Postby popsky » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:47 pm

Very nice Steve, did you have good weather :?: :wink:

Btw any chance you heading south west late Sept ?
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:54 pm

weather was showery but good, yesterday was lovely tho'

Don't mind it raining keeps the grockles away :)

I am hoping to get down to the SW weekend :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:52 pm

Enjoyed that. Thanks Steve.

Mike 8)
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:39 pm

Looks like a top weekend thanks for putting the pics up

Reminded me of the weekend we had in the lake district two of us were going to head to applecross for the rest of the week but everything we had with us was soaked so we headed to Llangothen and home, the only time the black bitch has ever let me down [hall sensor went]

We did have some fun trundle and myself decided to stay in kendal on the saturday the other lads asked where they should go for a ride out trundle and i looked at each other and both said you must do hard nott pass and rino's[spelling] pass and told them to look for the boot inn when they get into that area.
Don't think they found the pub but when they got back Steve was limping and his Suzuki GSX1400 had a scraped exhaust, one of the other lads had dropped his Honda douville[spelin] we had told them that saturday wasn't the best day to ride around in the lakes in June!

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks again for the memories Dai
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:43 pm

Boxermed69 wrote:Enjoyed that. Thanks Steve.

Mike 8)

Me too. Great pic's mate. Thanks. :) :) :)

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

exoticices

Postby exoticices » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:16 am

I know what you mean about the rain keeping the grockles away! Great pics, keep them coming.

Twinspark

Postby Twinspark » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:48 pm

What's with the fake plod look?

That kind of shit really pisses me off. Especially when the rider is on a big BMW or a Pan.
Fucked Off!

slparry

Postby slparry » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:54 pm

Foul weather gear for visibility especially on the motorway :) If you note in the pic with the top box open by the ferry it's stowed away, however the weather got shitty as we went further into the mountains so the dayglo comes out

I'll not make apologies for pissing you off :P
--
Steve Parry

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:03 pm

Twinspark wrote:What's with the fake plod look?

That kind of shit really pisses me off. Especially when the rider is on a big BMW or a Pan.

Shit - You're right! :? I thought someone had nicked his lollipop! :shock:

Al :wink:
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Daveg2812

Postby Daveg2812 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:47 pm

Twinspark wrote:What's with the fake plod look?

Blimey, you clearly need more things to worry about fella. :shock:
This ain't Twitter you know!

2003 R1100S with some bits on.

Twinspark

Postby Twinspark » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:09 pm

It's one of the reasons why I'm reluctant to tell people I ride a BMW.

Far too many utter cunts dressing up like plod on big BMWs.

I don't understand the motivation behind it, but I do know that it causes chaos around them.
Fucked Off!

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:16 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

slparry

Postby slparry » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:21 pm

To each his own Steve, this isn't UKRM so thankfully there's less aggression here.
--
Steve Parry

Return to “Ride Reports”