Last minute trip to France

Done a "Ewan & Charley"? Been for a fried breakfast and taken pictures? Share the tales of your adventure in here

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Kaze

Last minute trip to France

Postby Kaze » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:48 pm

A window of opportunity came up for a short-notice 7 day trip to France, so following a frenzied planning and packing off I set and now having returned I thought I'd share the pro's & cons of the journey with my fellow Trixters.

The planning:
I've been over to France quite a bit, several times in a car and twice on a bike, but knowing how (choosing my words carefully..) conscientious :? the Gendarmes can be decided I'd check up on all the latest rules and reg's. Things to note, carrying any device that gives warnings of speed cameras attracts mega-big fines; must ride with headlight on at all times (easy one, seeing as the BM's lights are always on anyway); spare bulb kit, from what I can work out not fineable if you haven't got one, but if you get stopped with a faulty bulb & you can't replace it, then that's problematic, sorted courtesy of Les at Short Stop Tyres, who adpated the kit and even chucked in some extra micro fuses just in case; breathalyser kit, small fine if you don't carry one, I got one from Halfords for £5, having said that in many parts of France they're out of stock and locals tell you that there is a reprieve on fines until November; wearing Hi-Viz is compulsory on Bikes but not til Jan next year. Oh and need to watch my speed, French are removing the warning signs and are also putting up average speed cameras even on some of the D-roads. If you see an electronic speed indicator flashing at you then chances are it's recording your plate and the next one you hit wherever it is will calculate your average speed :shock: Also packed all my Doc's, passport, log-book, insurance, euro breakdown, MOT, again all required if stopped.

Pre-bike Prep

Freshly serviced, spare 1L oil, new front tyre, rear looks like it's got plenty of life left albeit was showing early signs of squaring off, baffles fitted, freshly MOT'd.

Route planning. (To be honest this was a bit of a rush).

Day 1. Southport to Bourth, Normandy

Day 1 - UK, weather sh*te :evil: motorway down to Folkestone, got drenched all the way down but once near Folkestone blue skies & sunshine - Hoorah!! :D Tunnel crossing, pre-booked via internet £73 return & a 2 hour window either side of the ticket time gives plenty of flexibility, great service :D

Then using a car Tom-Tom in a Givi sat-nav bag, wired into the socket via a BMW socket to Car 12v adapter (courtesy of Nippy Normans). No French speed cameras on Tom-Tom just in case then set the route to avoid toll roads and select shortest route. This tactic generally worked quite well, it led me down some great country roads, mainly avoided the motorways which are always dull but sometimes handy if you need to make a bit of haste.

Weather was great in France, did get some some rain, but as luck would have it I only hit a few light showers. Only problem was the bright sun-shine made the Tom-Tom screen difficult to read, even at full brightness, and the Givi plastic window over the Tom-Tom screen meant that the touch-screen function wouldn't work properly. Whilst it's a lot cheaper to use the car Tom-Tom in the Givi bag it was at times very frustrating, e.g. if I accidentally knocked the screen I would have to stop the bike, take the Tom-Tom out of the Givi, reset it, replace carefully so that the touch screen didn't touch the Givi's plastic screen then carry on. This became a right pain in the proverbial :evil: and on a couple of occasions I crashed the Tom-Tom. Fortunately I had taken a road map just in case so it wasn't a show stopper and later I managed to reset the Tom-Tom with a paper clip.

Stayed over in a nice littel B&B in Bourth, Southern Normandy. Great place, handy location, very biker friendly run by a couple from Norfolk, foods great, comfortable rooms and great value. Greeted me with offers of cold beer :D can't beat that eh 8) , good choice.

Day 2: Bourth to Charente

Sun was shining, Tom-Tom programmed to take me to Bourgeuil, roughly half way and has a bridge across the Loire river, therefore I won't have to navigate my way around Tours. This was a good choice, route via Tom-Tom was great and the smaller country roads had much less attention from speed cameras etc... :D Stopped for lunch in the Trattoria great food and great value, lovely Pizza and the usual excellent French coffee with change from 10 euros :D

Similar afternoon but once I hit Poitiers the Tom-Tom took me onto the N10 (non toll road motorway) until I got past Angouleme, this was dull but nevertheless gave me the opportunity to make up a bit of time so that I didn't arrive in the Charente too late. Here's some snaps of my time in the Charente:

Unfortunately I wore my back tyre out & had to replace it before I started my journey back, not sure which bit was most painful - making phonecalls to several non-English speaking bike shops/tyre fitters trying to explain what I needed and seeing if they could fit it to my tight deadlines, or the 200 Euro price that I ended up paying for the privilege. :(

On the way back I pretty much reversed what I did coming, but saw some signs for a Dolmon so went to explore. What I really wanted was an ice cream but as it was Monday I think France was closed, did eventually manage to find a shop that sold mars ice creams though :D

Arrived at the tunnel 2 hours early, nearly went straight through but for some reason there was a delay in the passport queue that I was in so literally missed the gate by seconds. Nevertheless only 30 min's to wait then I was on the next train.

Reflections

Even though I hardly saw any Police and received no attention from those that I did see, taking the time to check the reg's and ensure that I had everything the law required is a must do, just not worth taking chances otherwise can get v expensive. Should've changed my rear tyre though, next time even if I see the slightest sign of squaring off I'll make the change, get one abroad limits choice, ideally I wanted another Conti but ended up getting a BT021, but it was a lot of messing & expensive.. not the end of the world though.

Tom-tom worked well with the Givi and the shortest route option does make the route more interesting, but if I was to do it again I would spend more time planning the route. Whilst I saw some decent roads, there were a lot of dull ones, and not many great ones where I could really push and have some fun with the bike. On reflection given that I had only 4 days of riding, if it wasn't for the fact that I had other reasons for going to the Charente and if the weather wasn't so lousy back home, then I probably would have had more fun blasting round Scotland or Wales.

Fuel stops, whilst Derv is a lot cheaper in France, the Petrol appears a similar price and sometime is more expensive. I tended to top up at the first place I saw after 120 miles for a few reasons, wasn't sure when I'd next see a petrol station, 24/7 is few and far between, the pumps don't always accept UK credit cards. Supermarkets tend to be a lot cheaper, e.g. Intermarche, branded fuel stations and anything on motorways are more expensive.

The trip was a great test for the R1100S, and it coped superbly, other long trips I've done have been on an R1100GS, R1200RT, F800GS and a Pan European. Each one of these has pro's and con's but for me right now the S has the best mix of comfort and performance, in fact strangely enough I found I had less fatigue on the S than I did on any of the others, I find with the sit-up riding position the old posterior starts to suffer after a bit, whereas with the more prone position on the S the only problem I've found is my right wrist starts to ache.
Kaze

Kaze

Postby Kaze » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:22 pm

Apologies, I've put this is the wrong one... Doh!! :oops:

Can any kind Admin move this to Ride Reports for me :?:
Kaze

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Nice one Kaze, good right up.

Some nice pics too, I particully like the 9th one down ( farmhouse/garden?) makes me want to be there, still, there`e nowt much wrong with Birmingham... [smilie=head bash.gif]

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:21 am

Some good photos, there...... and a very clean bike :D

That Tungsten colour comes up well in the sunlight - it looks like a good laquer.

As you say - can be a hassle getting tyres in France (and Germany sometimes), and a bit more expensive.

Last time I needed a tyre there, we were fortunate to have internet connection, so googled typical bike tyre brands, together with reachable cities, then tried to "google-streetview" in an attempt to verify. What we did find, were limited on choice - and had no desire to "do a quick fit, between other jobs". Service in the UK is better, and stock higher - I feel.
Last couple of times in France - I've not had a credit-card refused by the pumps..... but I know what you mean about "worrying about running dry" :?

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:19 pm

Are bikes not tied down on the train then? :shock: Great report BTW :wink:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

Kaze

Postby Kaze » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:35 pm

Thanks all for the feedback. :D

Only had my credit card refused once for fuel at one of the Intermarche, but was accepted in another Intermarche, where someone else using a different card was refused. Fortunately with my backup plan to refill early it didn't cause me any problems.

Bikes aren't tied down on the tube, they just get you to ride down the right hand side then when you come to park turn sharply to the left and stick it in the side stand. The journey each way was very smooth with the exception one one small tremor that rocked the bikes slightly on the side stand but no problems at all. Beats the ferry hands down for me :D
Kaze

dave1100s

Postby dave1100s » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:02 pm

Nice piccy's Kaze. I'm sure i passed you one morning on the coastal road heading towards Liverpool a couple of weeks ago, not many 1100s that colour around these parts. Les at Short Stop......top bloke :thumbleft:
We don't stop playing because we get old.....we get old because we stop playing!

Kaze

Postby Kaze » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:26 am

I'm sure i passed you one morning on the coastal road heading towards Liverpool a couple of weeks ago, not many 1100s that colour around these parts. Les at Short Stop......top bloke

Hi Dave, more than likely was me, probably when I was on my way to Les's for an MOT. He's a star, baffles sorted, front tyre sorted, MOT sorted, bulb kit sorted, world put to rights...Quality! :D
Kaze

Horizontally opposed

France

Postby Horizontally opposed » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:15 am

Really enjoyed your report, particularly the detail of French requirements for tourists.
Photos great, and original and interesting use of colour.
I have an identical 11S, and would like to direct Email to you to ask questions rather outside of the forum, re planning for my own hoped for big adventure. Okay? but how?

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:26 am

The Dengie 100 MCC did 4 day trip to Normandy at the end of April and like you we looked up all the rules and reg's and packed paperwork accordingly.
We took the easy option on speed cameras by having our ride outs led by John & Jeanette at Bike Normandy. WWW.Bikenormandy.com
Click here for photo http://www.bikenormandy.com/wp-content/ ... n-web1.jpg And yes it was raining at the time.
Local knowledge was a great asset and you just ride witrhout having to navigate.

Like you we had no involvement with the Gendarmes. In fact I'm not sure that we even saw a copper in the whole 900 miles.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:40 pm

That looked great. You've helped me decide - gonna have to do another European trip next year - Always fancied the BM weekend in Garmisch so going to aim for that. Maybe spend a week getting there and the rest of the next week getting back.
Anyone else up for it?
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Daveg2812

Postby Daveg2812 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:44 pm

dave the german wrote:That looked great. You've helped me decide - gonna have to do another European trip next year - Always fancied the BM weekend in Garmisch so going to aim for that. Maybe spend a week getting there and the rest of the next week getting back.
Anyone else up for it?

Tempted Dave, tempted :D
This ain't Twitter you know!

2003 R1100S with some bits on.

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:00 pm

Daveg2812 wrote:
dave the german wrote:That looked great. You've helped me decide - gonna have to do another European trip next year - Always fancied the BM weekend in Garmisch so going to aim for that. Maybe spend a week getting there and the rest of the next week getting back.
Anyone else up for it?

Tempted Dave, tempted :D

Me too Garmisch Pantenkirschen is definately on my to do list. :_
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:34 pm

Anyone else up for it?

Never been outside UK (on a bike) Dave but 'Garmisch' is top of my 'To Do List' so at least pencil me in :)

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:17 pm

Looks like we got us a convoy!!! I know ...... but I am a trucker ..... Waiting for Al to suggest I got the spelling wrong!
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Return to “Ride Reports”