Last minute trip to France

Done a "Ewan & Charley"? Been for a fried breakfast and taken pictures? Share the tales of your adventure in here

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:26 pm

Been skiing to Garmisch a couple of times. Would lurrrv to visit in the summer. That BMW Days do has had some great write ups. Two weeks, or best part of, with the treffen in the middle would be good. Did similar to the Bol D'Or at the Paul Ricard back in the day. I found it great to have a focal point within a tour. Hmmm, I wonder... [smilie=thinking about.gif]

Nice blurb and pics by the way Kaze.

Mike :D
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:48 pm

Boxermed69 wrote:Been skiing to Garmisch a couple of times. Would lurrrv to visit in the summer. That BMW Days do has had some great write ups. Two weeks, or best part of, with the treffen in the middle would be good. Did similar to the Bol D'Or at the Paul Ricard back in the day. I found it great to have a focal point within a tour. Hmmm, I wonder... [smilie=thinking about.gif]

Nice blurb and pics by the way Kaze.

Mike :D

I used to love going to the Bol when it was in the PROPER place :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

dorsetboy

Postby dorsetboy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:19 pm

Yeah good photos...what camera did you use.
Tiger 800 ABS Roadie

Kaze

Postby Kaze » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:01 pm

Yeah good photos...what camera did you use.

Thanks, the first one was taken on an iPhone 4, which for a phone takes excellent photo's, far better than I would have expected. All the rest were taken on an Olympus Pen E-PL2
Kaze

mikek_7

Postby mikek_7 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:32 pm

Never been outside UK (on a bike) Dave but 'Garmisch' is top of my 'To Do List' so at least pencil me in :)[/quote]

I got back last night from a 10 day trip down to the Dolomites via France, Germany and Austria and all I can say is ... if you haven't done it, don't think about it - just go!

I haven't had time to put together a report etc yet (but I will!), but here's a link to a quick video taster ... http://tinyurl.com/d9rymfq

Kaze

Postby Kaze » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:55 am

I haven't had time to put together a report etc yet (but I will!), but here's a link to a quick video taster ... http://tinyurl.com/d9rymfq

Hi Mike

Tried the link but the video's locked as private, any chance you could alter the settings?
Kaze

mikek_7

Postby mikek_7 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:59 pm

Kaze wrote:

Hi Mike

Tried the link but the video's locked as private, any chance you could alter the settings?

Doh!! that was stupid ... fixed now.

Kaze

Postby Kaze » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:21 pm

Nice vid, superb scenery :D Sharp picture and good vantage point, a couple of Q's, what camera were you using & how did you mount it to get such a stable vid :?:
Kaze

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:23 pm

Just watched it. my speakers r behind me as I sit here, so, very realistic :lol:. post us a pic of how you mounted yor camara and also, what sort was it?

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:24 pm

Kaze wrote:Nice vid, superb scenery :D Sharp picture and good vantage point, a couple of Q's, what camera were you using & how did you mount it to get such a stable vid :?:

Kaze, u beat me 2 the draw. :lol:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

mikek_7

Postby mikek_7 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:08 pm

el-nicko wrote:
Kaze wrote:Nice vid, superb scenery :D Sharp picture and good vantage point, a couple of Q's, what camera were you using & how did you mount it to get such a stable vid :?:

Kaze, u beat me 2 the draw. :lol:

Thanks guys. Its a HD GoPro 2 mounted with a suction mount and arm on the bodywork so it sits just above the left barrel. The stability is a bit of a mystery! The panel flexes and I could see the camera moving, but I can only assume that it has such a wide field of view that its not noticeable. It was set at 720p rather than the highest setting of 1080p

I took over 150gb of video, so I've a fair amount of editing to do!! most of the time the camera was mounted on the back of the GPS mount to get a view through the screen (short pre-trip test here http://tinyurl.com/buwpoda although this was before I added a stabilising bar) I'll take a pic later showing the mounting.

We did nearly 3000 miles in 10days taking in the classics like the Grossglockner, Timmelsjoch and the evil Hahntennjoch plus quite a few in the Dolomites - I'll post some vids of the passes when I've edited them them all.

mikek_7

Postby mikek_7 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:01 pm

Here's a pic of the side camera position ....

and a single frame from the Grossglockner from the centre mount ...

Kaze

Postby Kaze » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:59 am

Thanks for the photo's Mike

:)
Kaze

Return to “Ride Reports”