Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Gooner

Postby Gooner » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:48 am

Hi everyone,
I thought i would introduce myself. New to the site and a Boxer.

I've had a couple of BMW's in the past a K1200S and more recently a K1200R Sport but always fancied a 1200S. Been looking for several months for one in red and silver but just couldn't find the right one.

I've looked at several but eventually a couple of weeks ago settled on a bike that i missed earlier in the year that eventually the buyer kept hold of but as luck would have it the night i decided a few weeks back to see what was about the advert had again just been posted. Recognized it straight away and struck a deal and she's now nestled safely in my garage. Its got ohlins suspension, the sports wheel and the usual heated grips and has just 5k on the clock from new and has been well pampered. It looks fabulous.

I have bought a few bits as i couldn't resist an aftermarket exhaust, different levers, carbon cylinder head guards and a better screen. I wanted to add my touch before using it without going too mad so i managed to work out removing the seat unit at the weekend (tricky that but researched it on here) and 5 mins later it was off.

Now comes the problem part i cannot see for the life of me how the silencer comes off or is fixed, hence why i thought i'd join up rather than keep texting my mate (Posky) for help, so any advice anyone can offer i'd be most grateful as cant wait to get my silencer on and get out at the weekend.

If anyone can help me on how to post some pictures as i'm new to this sort of thing i will take some of the bike and post them on here.

I'm also looking for a Titan Silver rear seat pod if anyone knows where i can get one

Cheers
Gooner

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:01 am

Welcome in!

(obviously not the "Gooner" who pm'd me on UKGSer asking about R1100s :oops: )

Can't help with the silencer removal, I'm afraid - but someone will be along with the solution......

What exhaust did you get? There was a recent Akra SS/Ti one for sale - looked to be a very good price.

5,000 miles? The previous owner couldn't have liked it! :wink:

Photos:
You need to host the pics on an external site like photobucket etc....

Then, click on the "image" link on the pic site, copy that to the clipboard, and then paste it in here. If you have a look at the properties of pics other people have posted on here - you will see the format and all the various hosts they use (Photobucket, Smugmug? etc). If you copy the [IMG] file from photobucket - you paste straight in, without the Boxertrix "Img" function - and presto-hey! piccies! :)

Al :lol:
Last edited by Blackal on Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Gooner

Postby Gooner » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:08 am

Thanks, i went with a Zard, looked very nice quality and for £453 brand new direct from a supplier in France i was pretty chuffed. It turned up this morning and i ordered it Friday.

Previous owner was struggling with bad hips, advertised it earlier in the year, sold it and then pulled out of the sale. I tried to buy another one on here a few months back where the same happened but got there in the end.

I'll keep a look out for a reply to the exhaust query but i cant see any fixings under the seat but there does seem to be something above the silencer. Springs removed at the collector but its not moving :wink:

Gooner

exoticices

Postby exoticices » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:11 am

Hi Gooner.
Welcome to the site.

The silencer is easy to get off but it helps if you have arms like an oranutang and/or someone to help hold it.
Basically, unclip the springs that connect the silencer pipe to the headers. Remove the number plate unit (4 allen bolts from memory, usually encrusted with crud). Take off the pillion seat and there will be 2 BIG bolts facing rearwards and horizontal. Use a ratchet set to unscrew these (they are LONG). Laugh as the silencer falls down and breaks your expensive hugger (this is where the helping friend can help).

Post some pics of the bike when you have a chance.
John

Gooner

Postby Gooner » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:32 am

John,
Thanks for that, i must admit i saw what looks like 2 large hexagonal bolt heads that seam as though they are welded to the subframe and what looks like a screwed fixing inside but couldnt see how you got any kind of tool in there to get them out, i'll have to look again tonight. What sort of fixing is it!

Cheers
Gooner (Adrian)

eyore

Postby eyore » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:23 pm

Welcome aboard.
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:45 pm

Welcome - I got my 1200S earlier this year after wanting one for years and not having the money - absolutely love it - it's going in for flange re call tomorrow and I think I'm booked to test ride a GS and a 12RS - keeping the 12S tho
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

popsky

Postby popsky » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:51 pm

Welcome aboard M8, soz I didn't post up how to remove the silencer but what with all the links I've been sending you 😜 I clean forgot.
Looking forward to seeing some piccies, I take it the seat cowl on eBay was no good.
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Gooner

Postby Gooner » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:14 pm

Thanks guys,

Phil,
Sent them a message about the silver one (its matt aluminium) but not heard back from them. Didnt want to take a chance and just buy it in case they wont post to UK as says Germany only on the ad

Ade

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:34 am

You can get a seat cowl from Rainbow motorcycles - I think the only colour no longer available is black. I put a silver cowl on my black 12 and cos the rear light unit is silver it looks ok. Cost £126 plus postage
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

f90x

Postby f90x » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:34 am

Welcome Gooner.

The heads on those bolts are Torx. I can't remember the size off the top of my head but as mentioned before; they 'are' long and they're screwing into the rubber gromets that are fixed to the top of the exhaust so they can be a bit of a struggle to get in the first time.

Enjoy the bike
Steve
Last edited by f90x on Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

f90x

Postby f90x » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:38 am

Congrats on your choice of the Zard BTW. Without doubt the best looking tail pipe for the 12S
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:53 am

f90x wrote:Congrats on your choice of the Zard BTW. Without doubt the best looking tail pipe for the 12S

Ahem............ :wink:

Just sayin'........... :)

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Gooner

Postby Gooner » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:13 am

Guys thanks for the help and comments. Dave brilliant tip mate just secured the last silver tail piece in world stock for £126 plus postage from Rainbow so chuffed with that.

Pipe will be installed tonight, rear foot rest are off and tail piece should be with me by the weekend.

If i can work out posting the pictures on here i will get some on at the weekend.

Again thanks for the help, much appreciated :lol:

Ade (Gooner)

exoticices

Postby exoticices » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:00 am

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3842/18699796713_21ec8f95f1_b.jpg

I used an ordinary (big) socket set when I removed mine.
You don't have to completely remove the number plate assembly from the bike - just from the silencer (and let it dangle precariously).
The process is simple enough but awkward and involves fruity language.

Return to “New Trixters?”