It says to introduce yourself....

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Dezie

It says to introduce yourself....

Postby Dezie » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:37 pm

It says to introduce yourself.....so I am.

My name's Des. I'm 54 and live in SE London. I've been riding bikes since the age of 16. I've owned many makes and models over the years from Suzuki GT250, GSXR 750RR and MV Agusta F4 to Yamaha XS650, Honda GL1000 and V-Max.

I never thought I'd ever own a BMW but I've just bought a 1999 R1100S. I'll post some pics when I get a chance and look forward to corresponding with a few of you on here although I'm not really a forum fiend so don't be offended it takes me a while to respond to any questions!

You may be interested to know why I plumped for this model after so many BMW-less years. The answer is simple: it suits my requirements like nothing else on the road.

I'm a sports bike rider at heart and the MV Agusta was the best bike I ever owned. Last year I rode her to the Black Forest and back in four days and sold her within a week of returning. It was a hard decision but I ached in muscles I didn't even know I had. I'm just not fit enough to do that any more!

I went back on my V-Max which had been more or less unused in the four years I owned the MV, and have just returned from a week away on it. This time in the UK - London - Edinburgh - London. It was fun but the V-Max doesn't handle like an MV and there's no wind protection. I missed both.

So here I am - looking forward to the best of both worlds: a bike built for comfort AND speed. And one that not everyone else is riding to boot.

I've been reading the forum in advance of my purchase and it seems a great source of information as well as banter and, who knows. maybe a meetup at some point.

Best regards

Des

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:42 pm

Welcome Des :)

Hope the 1100s turns out to be the bike for you. Give yourself time to get used to it.

One thing for sure - it will beat the MV in the long-term comfort stakes.

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Twinspark

Postby Twinspark » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:43 pm

Welcome!

They're a very unique bike - and I reckon most riders would easily keep up with the latest clit bike on normal roads on one.

I'm sure you'll love it as much as the rest of us do.
Fucked Off!

Dezie

Postby Dezie » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:02 am

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm looking forward to getting acquainted with my new ride. The telelever front end has fascinated me for many years and I'll be interested to see how it feels in the bends.

My bike has a few mods which I'll detail when posting the pics.

Best regards

Des

eyore

Postby eyore » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:06 am

Hi Des, welcome. :) Telelever suspenders work really well.
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

KenG

Postby KenG » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:47 pm

hi there

Herb

Postby Herb » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:43 pm

Welcome along.

GT250. Great bike.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Mister C (Marsh)

Postby Mister C (Marsh) » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:18 pm

Hello, enjoy your time here, its a bit good :) and you will enjoy your bm, good luck with it!

Regards Marsh
er, mmmmm I'll think of something funny soon.

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:25 pm

Welcome, looking forward to the pics.
kernow,the last bit

Dezie

Postby Dezie » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:25 pm

Thanks all...that really is a welcome!

Herb - the GT250 was indeed a great bike. Did my first wheelie on that bike. Aged 17 on a provisional licence I pulled out into quite fast moving traffic and wooo up came the front wheel! Scared the bejeesus out of me at the time but then got the hang of doing them on purpose :-)

I graduated to the 550GT - a two stroke air cooled triple. That too was a hoot.

But I digress. As Twinspark has intimated, taking the BM fast round the twisties will bring it's own reward. Im looking forward to the challenge.

Thanks again all.

Des

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:05 pm

Hi Des - welcome to our little corner of the www Pull up a chair and get stuck in - great bunch of folk on this forum, some of whom we even let out after dark. :)

Ronwash80

Postby Ronwash80 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:42 am

Hey bud! Welcome!
Speed safely and keep the shinny side up!
01 R1100S

meds8964

Postby meds8964 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:40 pm

welcome aboard and im sure you will enjoy youre purchase
IF YOU THINK IM UGLY YOU WANNA SEE MY BROTHERS

Dezie

Postby Dezie » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:04 pm

Thanks yet again. It's great to get such a welcome.

For anyone interested, I picked up my new bike yesterday and rode the 47 miles home. First impressions? I could like this bike. A lot!

She's very comfortable and self assured in the bends (mainly roundabouts Haha) and seems to have a nice turn of speed in the mid range. But there's one quirk that will take time to get used to - the indicators. First few times I found myself blipping the throttle when pressing the cancel button! How long do the indicators flash before they self-cancel?

First task is to find a way to connect my satnav. Im thinking of fitting a standard cigarette lighter socket up near the dash. Any suggestions or is this a question for another part of the forum?

Des

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:39 pm

I used to live in SE London.
I moved to London when I was 18 but moved back to my home county of Devon about 6 years ago,
Gus Kuhn BMW in Clapham used to be one of my favourite hang outs back in the 80's, then a quick trip down the road to Mocheck.
I know both are no longer there, but are there still bike shops on those sites ?

Return to “New Trixters?”