New to forum

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

bones78

New to forum

Postby bones78 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:54 pm

Great forum .... my current ride is a 2006 R1200S, bought new and raced since new. It replaced a R1100S Boxer Cup bike, which met an unfortunate early demise in a qualifier. Raced an HP2 Sport for one year, but too much like a jewel to keep racing, so back to the trusty R12S.

popsky

Postby popsky » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:19 pm

Hello there,

Sounds good, where and what series do you race, and Gus from this parish is signed up to race his 12s in the German series next year, I suspect there may be a bit of help either way between you both.
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

ted

Postby ted » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:58 pm

hi bones, have you had any issues at all with the 1200 during its racing career? i was wondering just how tough they really are?

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:07 pm

Hallo and welcome.

Probably the only thing that went bang is the short little push rod if anything went wrong. Give Gus a pm. You'll have a lot to talk about.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:11 pm

'Let me check my concernometer.'

bones78

Postby bones78 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:29 pm

yup ... that's me !

The R12 has been flawless. Two clutches in 6 years, which I think is amazing. No other issues at all.... valve adjust every two years, but that's about it.

Wilsdorf

Postby Wilsdorf » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:00 pm

Any tips for more power, without losing reliability on the R1200S?

Wilsdorf

Postby Wilsdorf » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:06 am

Well, I am trying out a Powercommander V this weekend and I hear that Remus downpipes with Akra end can is a preferred approach - so I may try and track down those.

Interested to here what you have tried on the track though, and that works well - or just what to avoid spending money on that doesn't work s well.

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:23 am

Hi and welcome to all

Remember chasing horse power is the most expensive way of getting a faster bike you would be better off making the bike stop quicker and make the most of the power you have try rocket sprockets (Lennie in my sig ) to level out the torque curve and give a good mid range boost
Have the suspension looked at by someone who knows what they are doing and how you ride
That just leaves brakes and tyres
A couple of hours learning how to get the best out of what you have will do you more good than spending hundreds on engine work
We are working with a pretty agricultural motor here spend the money on track days not chasing horse power

Edit get some bespoke made to measure leathers flapping leathers sap power more than you'd think
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

Wilsdorf

Postby Wilsdorf » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:39 pm

Thanks Dai

I am just looking for a little more top end power- I am happy with the midrange, as I generally ride about 6,500 + revs. I have the GS Twin Cam for slower stuff, and a fireblade if I want go faster. I simply want my R1200S to be as good as it can be, within reason/price.

I am lucky that I get to ride on unrestricted roads.

The brakes are fine - but I will improve the rotors when I replace them and I'll look into the pads.

Also, I'll get the Ohlins dialled in properly for me, and eventually get them set up for my weight - I am a little over 100kg, so they might need Ohlins to sort them - I am not sure what is possible with the stock set up.

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:55 pm

To notice any improvement you will need a 10% gain getting that 10% is going to cost big time i would try to get some weight off the bike and possibly my belly (no offence meant)
I believe that a few have had the ecu flashed with good results this could be the best way to go
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe

http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata

http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie

http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

Wilsdorf

Postby Wilsdorf » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:02 am

A 5% gain would be good. I have been reading about the 2010 ECU update from BMW and that some bikes, with standard exhausts etc. where putting up 126 crank bhp afterwards - that would be useful.

I sat nav my bikes, so would notice a change in top speed with a few more bhp on a falt out run.

The S is noticeably quicker than twin cam GS in a straight line - I would guess it's quicker then a LC GS too.

Any way, I'll try and get the ECU update, and a powercommander first and then probably move on to a full exhaust system and piper x.

I want the bike to bike rideable and reliable, so don't want to go too crazy on mods, just sensible.

I can't lose too much more weight - there would be nothing left of me, I am not Dani Pedrosa ;)

Return to “New Trixters?”