Dagenham dustbin

This is the forum for current/former/aspiring 'S owners to discuss their other two wheeled choices.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Boxermed69

Dagenham dustbin

Postby Boxermed69 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Yeah, sorry - not a bike.

After seven and a half years the MINI has been moved on and replaced with:
[img][img]http://i1131.photobucket.com/albums/m553/Boxermed69/Noplatesmudged.jpg[/img][/img]

Still wanted something fun to drive but with a bit more space (it's THE family car: 3 of us and 2 JR terriers), better fuel economy and road tax less than 280 quid (yeah - for a bloody MINI). Took a flyer on it back in July as demonstrators were like hen's teeth. Only managed to have a look around one in the Yeovil dealership the day before it was picked up by the owner. Put my faith in the universally good reviews and ordered mine. Had to wait until mid October for delivery - built in Cologne ya know, though I believe the engines are manufactured in Blighty.

Happy? I should cocoa :D . Handling is brilliant. Not quite as sharp and direct as the MINI initially but grips better and the ride is not as crashy. A bit more go than the MINI too: 180bhp with 200 on time-limited overboost - plenty through the front wheels of a small car methinks. Sounds brilliant from inside as the revs build. The Recaro seats are a revelation too. So far averaging 7mpg better than the MINI, and it's 125 quid for a tax disc. Same insurance group.

Best bit? Bought this with every option on offer for 2500 quid less than I paid for the MINI in 2006. Signs are that it will retain value at least as well, though time will tell of course.

Incidentally, the colour is pearlescent 'molten orange'. Looks flat and quite red in overcast conditions but glows under lights or sunlight.

Mike :)
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

The Teutonic Tangerine

Re: Dagenham dustbin

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:46 pm

Boxermed69 wrote:I believe the engines are manufactured in Blighty.

I stand to be corrected but I believe that the Dangenham Plant (otherwise known as Dagnum or The Nam) produces 75% of all Ford engines that are produced world wide. (including Ford USA).

see extract from wikipedia:
Vehicle assembly ceased at the plant in 2002 but it continues as a major production site with the capacity to assemble 1.4 million engines a year.[2] In 2008 the plant produced around 1,050,000 engines and was the largest producer of Ford diesel engines globally
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:02 pm

:shock: That's a lorra lorra engines! Cheers.

Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

Herb

Postby Herb » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Ford produces around 6 million vehicles per year worldwide, so Dagenham could account for around 25% of engines produced worldwide.

I was working there when they built the new Diesel plant a few years back. It's a giant clean room. Kept under positive pressure to blow the dirt out when you open the doors etc. it really is amazing.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:09 pm

Nice. Good value in the road tax as well with plenty of pep. As with most Fords the road manners are right up with the best, should be a hoot.
kernow,the last bit

nab 301

Re: Dagenham dustbin

Postby nab 301 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Boxermed69 wrote:Best bit? Bought this with every option on offer .

Looks good, with some very useful features. I'll have to shoehorn something bigger under the bonnet of my Seat arosa!

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Al

Postby Al » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:36 pm

I had an Arosa on hire in Majorca years back, had to turn the aircon and fan off to give it enough oomph to get up hills!!

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

SP250

Postby SP250 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:31 pm

Nigel
Chuck a V8 in it - I've got a Daimler 2.5 hemi or a Chrysler 440 from a Jenson Interceptor going spare.
John M

Return to “My other bike's a...”