Honda NC700X - first tank is emptied....my new daily run in!

This is the forum for current/former/aspiring 'S owners to discuss their other two wheeled choices.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:56 pm

Looks like a good bike. Ive always liked Hondas, I've been considering shipping in the S for another Honda, but not that hot for any of their current range.

Like this though -

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201244490532492/sort/recpriceascdefault/usedbikes/cc-from/1100cc/model/vfr/make/Honda/quicksearch/true/page/1/postcode/s358pn/radius/100?logcode=p

Any one nerdy and prob from my age group who grew up watching 'Robotech' (i assume head scratching from all other trixters right about now :roll: ) will appreciate the look of the big VFR.

Think the MPG isnt up to the NC700 standard though..... :roll: :lol:
----------------------------------------------
Steve.

1980 R100S
2003 VFR 800
A Silly Van.

boxerboy2

Postby boxerboy2 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:35 pm

Sorry, but for me the headlight area and exhaust look terrible. My old CB900 looked so much better, as did my old XL250, CB250RS and XL500.

A backward step from the super styling of the VFR750s CB1100r etc

[smilie=whistle.gif]

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:33 pm

On the AVDrider forum i was asked a few questions about the bike...which i thought are worth sharing....

Hello,

let me try and answer some of these questions:

how does it do on highways crusing at 70plus? - with ease. 70mph is no problem at all - I had it up to 100mph...but about 85 it gets a bit slower in acceleration and you need to be in 5th to get up to speed as sixth gear is very tall...

How did it handle off road i see the tires look like full street tires - tires are the main weak point. front suspension is very good... rear - pretty basic. Brakes are good and ABS is not too harsh in cutting in... I was fine on the muddy lanes, but it not for a MX track etc...but handles a fire road with ease. a bit like my Buell Ulyssess! the low revving engine helps too.

Honda made this to be entry to the adv riding u think this is a good start? I think its a great starting point into adventure riding. at real road speed the bike is perfect and with the 200 mile range from a 14 liter tank its made for touring! Comfort is fine.

Any shortcomings on the bike? - the screen is pretty useless..as its not blocking much wind. I would have liked heated grips too (but these are available as an option)

other than that - try one...

Thanks
Lars
The Power of Dreams comes true for me...
-----------------------------------------------
No more BMW just XR400R and CBR1000RR & Dark side - Buell Uly XB12X (and black is the fastest one!)

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:19 am

Nice one lars, pleased to hear you still have the Buell, how is that doing? I am thinking of getting another one, how has Buell ownership been for you?

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:35 pm

boxerscott wrote:Nice one lars, pleased to hear you still have the Buell, how is that doing? I am thinking of getting another one, how has Buell ownership been for you?

Chris

still have the Buell. Its not getting used much as I mainly ride the Honda's.
i covered less than 800 miles this year but I hope next year I can take the Uly to the Black forest for a 2 week trip and that will put some miles back...

still a great ride

No more BMW just XR400R and CBR1000RR & Dark side - Buell Uly XB12X (and black is the fastest one!)

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:36 am

another update:

I am now on my fourth Tank and the bike has had its first service (600mls).
I am still very happy with it and use it now daily again... storage space is very useful and it served me well during xmas shopping and my daily gym run.

the bike has not yet had a wash hence its still filthy from my little off-road excursion! see pic below

total mileage is now 691.

average consumption over the last 3 tanks = 74.4mpg. last tank i filled up after 207miles and it took 12.7litres.

Now that the roads are getting drier I can actually use the bikes light weight and cornering ability a bit more...its fun!

Thanks
Lars

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:41 am

Hi all,

After over 4 months of winter ownership of my silver NC700X its time to change it and i have to give it back this coming week - but fear i am getting a new NC700X but this time a white and with the DCT gearbox! :beerjug:

The silver manual bike has been great as a commuter tool. I always got 75mpg regardless of riding style. Its been 100% reliable, but its also still almost brandnew.

This morning I cleaned it as I always like to hand the bikes back the way i get them.

And all the winter dirt came off and it looks like on day one again....

So i will continue on this thread with the new DCT next week. Should be even more fun as i love the DCT gearbox and with the low rev range NC engines its a perfect match.

Keep you posted.
Lars

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi Lars, Very interesting stuff. Nice bike. Are the brakes interconected in a similar way that those on an I-ABS 1100S ? Also, what's your opinion of the Honda ABS system? I take it that it's the electronic ABS system Honda are applying across (almost) their whole range now. Have you used it 'in anger'?

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:54 pm

el-nicko wrote:Hi Lars, Very interesting stuff. Nice bike. Are the brakes interconected in a similar way that those on an I-ABS 1100S ? Also, what's your opinion of the Honda ABS system? I take it that it's the electronic ABS system Honda are applying across (almost) their whole range now. Have you used it 'in anger'?

Hello,

Ref ABS: the systems works very well and yes i did have to use twice! Both times when cars pulled out from side roads.
The system is the C-ABS! So yes combined, meaning if rear brake pedal is moved a bit of front is coming on too. Not quite a sophisticated as the Race ABS on a Fireblade, but works!
As i work for Honda bikes I am huge fan of ABS and think they are a good thing to have!

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:19 pm

Lars1974 wrote: ".....Not quite as sophisticated as the Race ABS on a Fireblade, but it works!"

Lars, do you mean that this (the Race ABS) is fitted to the bike I can 'buy over the counter' as it were, or that the works racers have a more sophisticated system than the road-going 'blades? :?

Cheers, Nick.

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:02 am

el-nicko wrote:
Lars1974 wrote: ".....Not quite as sophisticated as the Race ABS on a Fireblade, but it works!"

Lars, do you mean that this (the Race ABS) is fitted to the bike I can 'buy over the counter' as it were, or that the works racers have a more sophisticated system than the road-going 'blades? :?

Cheers, Nick.

Ok, the ABS on the a standard road going blade pretty much the same as MCGuiness has on his TT legends bike, the Abs on the NC is a spec down but still combined and working very well. The Blades ABS is just more sensitive and more advanced.

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:09 pm

So today was the day when I changed my silver NC700X - manual transmission for a nice new white NC700XD - DCT!
and as a first action I change the OE exhaust for a nice Akrapovic - which I am now testing for a while.

here is picture of the new machine.

I will report on MPG figures with the akra (currently with DB killer still in)!
The old silver bike was fantastic and this morning I managed to get over 217 miles to a tank (14l tank volume only)!

I am sure the DCT will perform similar and I do love the DCT with the NC700 engine. They match eachother very well.

Thanks
Lars

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:45 pm

hi all,

This morning I clock'd over the 3000 mile mark on the odometer of the NC700XD and therefore I will do bit of the report of the last 3k miles.

I receive the bike mid March and its been my main mode of transport ever since. My daily commute takes me 40 miles through the heart of Berkshire countryside. As a commuting tool I value the NC very highly. Not only does it provide great road presence and decent weather protection also the storage compartment has been in use daily and proofed to be 100% watertight. Fuel consumption has been very steady at around 70mpg or just under 4l/100km pretty much regardless of driving style. The Akrapovic exhaust has not made a negative impact on fuel at all.

Over the time I have found myself mainly using D-mode and the shifters for downshift before Roundabout, corner or when overtaking. I am now used to the early up-shifts in D-mode and I love the rumbling sound coming from the pipe at low rpm 2-3k rpm range...

Looking at the tyres after 3k of UK Road abuse - I am very happy to see that they are about 50% worn with still plenty of life left. In the dry the grip is great and you can wear them right towards the edge. In the wet I dont like them that much and I sometimes feel grip being lost, but I have not had any heart stopping moment - so it may just be my sensing. Anyway, tyres are lasting very well and thats a great thing.

here is pic of the rear

and here one of the front tyre

I had no defects or any other maintenance issues other than the 600 mile 1st service. The bike is not using any oil - so i dont need to fill up. Chain has not needed any adjustment either.

So if you are looking for an easy to ride, hasslefree bike - this is it.

Thanks Lars

Twinspark

Postby Twinspark » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:19 pm

Shame they don't do one with a proper fairing and luggage.
Fucked Off!

Return to “My other bike's a...”