New (to me) lids

As it says; what you've done to your bike and how it helped make it better.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Boxermed69

New (to me) lids

Postby Boxermed69 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:25 pm

Managed to score a pair of tatty old city lids for my panniers a few months back. Painted white, badly scuffed up and smothered in 3M reflective battenburg - but they were buckshee :)

Spent ages with a fresh stanley blade and best part of a bottle of white spirit getting the stickers and residual glue off - ye gods, talk about sh1t to a blanket!

Fella in a local paint shop prepped 'em properly and blew them over with a few coats of gloss black for £60 - yeah, I know, not cheap...should've done 'em myself but was feeling flush at the time. Drilled the rivets out of the hinges attaching the touring lids and replaced with A2 stainless screws, washers and nyloc nuts (on the inside). Finished off with proper roundels from Motorworks (£12 the pair IIRC :shock:) and the piece de resistance: tasteful and high quality transfers - cut from a [ahem] longer original decal from a reputable source [smilie=whistle.gif]. Fitted the recess a treat.

Chuffed with the results. Panniers now an ideal capacity for 90% of the time, and can swap to touring lids in a few minutes. Look better too :D

Hold up :? Is cutting these stickers in half like defacing coin of the realm? Capital offence innit? :shock:

Mike.
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:50 pm

they look good
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:21 pm

I must admit they do look the dogs doodahs !

Just wait till you scratch one :roll:

DT
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:32 pm

With my track record it's just a matter of time :roll:

Mike

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:46 pm

Look good, but as DT says - wait for the first scuff/scratch :cry:

I have boxercup blue city lids on mine (shear chance - bought them like that) but now prefer the unpainted lids.

Al :)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

f90x

Postby f90x » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:20 am

yup tidy job that but not for me. mine were full size lids but the first time i used them i hit two cars, a tree, an entrance door frame and my mates bike while he was on it at a standstill (took his indicator off) got back from my trip and sold them to Kermit on here. i now use bagster and ventura. it's the way forward.

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:57 am

f90x wrote:yup tidy job that but not for me. mine were full size lids but the first time i used them i hit two cars, a tree, an entrance door frame and my mates bike while he was on it at a standstill (took his indicator off) got back from my trip and sold them to Kermit on here. i now use bagster and ventura. it's the way forward.

Ouch. I can see how that might colour your view of OE luggage - out of sight, out of mind :lol:
Hmmm, if cats had whiskers on their arse they wouldn't be much use unless reversing :D . The city lids reduce the overall width a fair bit I think, but I'm still worried about forgetting they're on when filtering :?

Mike.

Return to “Boxerspex”