A Better Mousetrap?

As it says; what you've done to your bike and how it helped make it better.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

A Better Mousetrap?

Postby el-nicko » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:14 am

Further to my plans for an 'improved' disc lock, (see 'Disc Lock Guard' in Boxertech) read on.....

Bearing in mind that it's only possible to delay the determined thief, I've developed, as promised, my Mark1 Disc Lock. The aim was (1) to make a lock that would'nt damage the front mudguard if I forgot it was there. (2) To be able to carry it on the bike when not in use. (3) To use a combination lock so there was no danger of losing a key.

First, I planned to utilise this aperture between the caliper and the fork leg.

Like so:

I used a piece of tuff plastic/polythene? rod we had lying about in the workshop to make this prototype.

This stuff is very 'shear' resistant.

I planned to use this short bit of frame to carry it when not in use.

And, because I've found my auxilery charging point is more convenient on the off-side, I've incorporated it in the 'mod' and made a new bracket that needs only to make use of the one sub-frame bolt. The elongated slot fits over the bracket that holds the brake pipe in place and once located is held rigid and protects the brake pipe.

The 'bar itself fits like this....

But in practice it's easier to insert from the near-side and the lock then comes easily to hand.

And it tucks away thus..the 'hook' is shaped and slightly flexible so that it clips onto the fram tube and holds itself in place. With the lock in place it's held tightly.

Added a better (albeit a key type) lock.

The only 'downside' is that I may need to move the bike slightly for the wheel to line up with the aperture in the disc mounting. There's a mark 2 (in aluminium?) in the pipeline along with a more substantial combi-lock.

Not everything we turn out is so small tho...

It's been a long winter and yes, I know; I need to get out more. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by el-nicko on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:42 am

Last time I saw hands like those, Nick - they were on Fred Dibnah :wink:

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:20 am

Blackal wrote:Last time I saw hands like those, Nick - they were on Fred Dibnah :wink:

Al

They've got my 'prints all over 'em too Al. :roll:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:27 pm

Any lock that can be locked quickly and stored quickly on the bike has to be good. 8)
What does a bolt cutters do to that material ? And also is the caliper the only thing stopping the rod being pulled through? I ask because presumably if you remove one caliper bolt the lock can be removed?

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:48 pm

Fair comments Nigel. As I say you'll never stop the determined thief/thieves?. Four strong men+a van will easily have it away with any bike not bolted to the ground. My aim is simply to deter/delay the less determined TWOCer. So yes, a bolt-cutter would make mincemeat of this plastic prototype and even the aluminum MK2 I'm in the process of making. And a TORX wrench would soon remove a caliper. Having said that, they would still have to re-fit it before they could ride off. And anyway, I think both calipers would need to be removed. But, realistically; What are the odds of somebody taking a shine to my 12 year-old bike (lovely though it is) in a public car park, say, and just happening to have bolt cutters and a TORX wrench with them? They would then, still have to defeat the steering lock and hot-wire the ignition, (the standard hurdles for the opportunist 'tea-leaf') before making off.
Last edited by el-nicko on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:01 am

el-nicko wrote:Fair comments Nigel. As I say you'll never stop the determined theif/theives?.quote]

Indeed , many moons ago I remember an acquaintance who would remove the rotor arm from the distributor of his tatty Mini (car) when parked , and yes, one day it (the car) disappeared never to be seen again :cry:
Last edited by nab 301 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:38 pm

nab 301 wrote:
el-nicko wrote:Fair comments Nigel. As I say you'll never stop the determined theif/theives?.quote]

Indeed , many moons ago I remember an acquaintance who would remove the rotor arm from the distributor of his tatty Mini (car) when parked , and yes, one day it (the car) disappeared never to be seen again :cry:

:cry: There's not much weight in a Mini is there. Just two of us 'walked' this re-sprayed shell into the workshop quite easily. :wink:

oyster

Postby oyster » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:44 am

el-nicko wrote: As I say you'll never stop the determined theif/theives?.

A pal of mine stopped outside his mate's in Bedfordshire a couple of years ago, disc lock on the Ducati, went in for a cup of tea. Ten minutes later, they heard the bike alarm, ran out to see a dark blue Transit speeding away with the back doors swinging open. Never saw the bike again.
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:59 am

oyster wrote:
el-nicko wrote: As I say you'll never stop the determined thief/thieves?.

A pal of mine stopped outside his mate's in Bedfordshire a couple of years ago, disc lock on the Ducati, went in for a cup of tea. Ten minutes later, they heard the bike alarm, ran out to see a dark blue Transit speeding away with the back doors swinging open. Never saw the bike again.

Other than buy the heaviest bike you can find there's no answer is there.

:cry:

Return to “Boxerspex”