Lennies Induct - worthwhile?

As it says; what you've done to your bike and how it helped make it better.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Boxermed69

Lennies Induct - worthwhile?

Postby Boxermed69 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:03 am

Quite possibly a numpty question prompted by comments made on a thread by Dai on Boxerpix. Not the first and won't be the last of those from me.

Now, I'm as much a sucker for a shapely piece of carbon weave as the next man, but I really just want my 11S to breathe properly. Why not just remove the standard induct and/or modify the airbox? Will the air drawn in really be that much warmer and less dense? I could put the money saved towards decent suspension :idea:
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:05 am

Arse! Wrong section AGAIN :roll:
Mixing up me 'spex' and me 'tech'. Twas late, mind.

nab 301

Re: Lennies Induct - worthwhile?

Postby nab 301 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:27 pm

Boxermed69 wrote:Now, I'm as much a sucker for a shapely piece of carbon weave as the next man, but I really just want my 11S to breathe properly. Why not just remove the standard induct and/or modify the airbox? Will the air drawn in really be that much warmer and less dense? I could put the money saved towards decent suspension :idea:

After over 8 years with my bike unmodified apart from a y piece , I finally used the MikeB method to modify the air intake. Obviously i'll have to put it on a dyno but the engine spins up to the rev limiter on a regular basis whereas before it just didn't want to rev. It's a totally different bike.
I'd do the diy job first and see if you like the change , then just dig deep , you know you're worth it :lol:

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks Nigel. I do recall reading about MikeB's home spun version - not a looker, but sounds like it was effective - anyway, who cares how it looks when it's covered (Dai's bike excepted :D)? The question still stands though: is an induct necessary at all? Did BMW put one on for noise reduction or summit, or does it really give a benefit over not having one at all?

Mike :)

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:27 pm

In all honesty i think a lennie's inlet may be worth purchasing[spelling][bigger intake better airflow throughout] but i realy cant see me spending that much[sorry Lennie] i am at present running without snorkle mine rotted away due to being exposed th the weather! today i fitted a chinese y piece and a nitron rear shoc so i just had to try it out [would it run without the cat oh yes] took it on a mixed road run twisties for the shoc [recomended both boots scraped front shoc is scrap and leaking, waiting for the postman to bring me a hagon] and some motorway work for the y piece tried crusing at a steady 50 60 70 etc up to 110mph no problem no surging or any sign of running week however i did notice that moving my leg away from the inlet helped pick up [ i supose being part blocked with sucked in jean's wont help] so the next thing i will be doing is opening up the front of the airbox lid but i do have two of them so if it no work i can replace with stock

You could save some cash an ask Lennie for a set of sprockets and catadan for throttle body repair kits i think this would inprove running from tickover to six thou and give you a far better ride, how often are you at full throttle?

Sory about rambeling on Dai

i must admit i was looking at a three inch cherry bomb [in the garage] and thinking shall i get the welder out[glad i didn't it would have been far to loud but lots lighter]
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:06 am

Thanks Dai. I guess your machine without plastics is a different kettle of fish again. Sounds like having no snorkel doesn't do it much harm - as long as you don't wear baggy troos!

Already got a set of Lennies rocket sprockets - just got to pluck up the courage to dive in and fit 'em. Gonna book her in for a dyno session first to see what I've got to start with. Not really interested in the absolute numbers, just what difference the mods make. The way it feels and rides is what's important. Hardly ever give it full throttle or rev it really hard - not my thang. Just not necessary for everyday riding and feels wrong. Pick up between 40 and 100 is where it's at for me. So, it's a crisp, fat midrange I want, so even I can see that it needs to breathe properly - but I'm not minted. Hence my original question.

I've done a search and trawled through loads of threads where the snorkel/induct is discussed. No one disputes how effective Lennies device is compared with standard - he obviously spent much time and effort developing it, but nowhere could I find comment or discussion on just binning the snorkel altogether. So it seems to lil ol me that it's just assumed that it's a bad idea.

Big service coming up, so plan to do the Val Singleton air filter mod at the same time.

Deafening silence from the great and good: perhaps my query is even more stoopid than I thought; or maybe those who've already shelled out for a lovely Lennies InDuct don't want to think about it!

Dai wiskers wrote:i must admit i was looking at a three inch cherry bomb [in the garage] and thinking shall i get the welder out[glad i didn't it would have been far to loud but lots lighter]

:shock: :lol: :twisted:

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:42 am

Did i say mine is running a Val singleton i realy would like to get under the skin of a budget race boxer cup to find out what's going on under the plastic

But as you say it's not all about top end a good mate of mine used to race a production ish it used to pass scrutenering[spellin] GT500 suzuki in the early 80's[I was his spannerman] the best result he ever had was 8th in a open 500 race so he was up against RG500's TZ350's etc it was a dry day all the true race bikes were on slicks he was on Dunlop TT100's they turned blue on the edges he pushed them so hard [the tyres not the other riders]

When he sold it and bought a RD400E he had problems finishing a race he just couldn't keep it on the track!

Have a look at this i know it's 18 minutes long but it proves my point about it's not having the fastest bike [yes i know you shouldnt do this on the road as well] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njXPBf9fr2k
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe

http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata

http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie

http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

Phil K

Postby Phil K » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:49 pm

Mike - there has been lots of stuff done to the induct over the years on this forum, from drilling holes to removal, but the only way to go is with the Lennies Induct. Bling it may be but together with binning the cat its the way forward :D

Phil
R11s + Val Singleton Power filter - Lennies induct - Y Piece - Wilbers - PC111
1974 Honda CB750 1974 Triumph Trident T150 Oh and a GS-LC

simon

Postby simon » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:13 pm

Boxermed69 wrote:..but nowhere could I find comment or discussion on just binning the snorkel altogether.

... :?

I've been running without a snorkel (or induct) for ages... and talking about it when possible..
Simon, now with a third
Yellow '98 R1100S
(..a bit more gimpy tho' [smilie=crutch.gif])

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:00 pm

Boxermed69 wrote:
Gonna book her in for a dyno session first to see what I've got to start with.
I've done a search and trawled through loads of threads where the snorkel/induct is discussed. No one disputes how effective Lennies device is compared with standard - he obviously spent much time and effort developing it, but nowhere could I find comment or discussion on just binning the snorkel altogether. So it seems to lil ol me that it's just assumed that it's a bad idea.

Deafening silence from the great and good: perhaps my query is even more stoopid than I thought; or maybe those who've already shelled out for a lovely Lennies InDuct don't want to think about it!

As you say dyno session first , this thread mentions running without parts of the intake if you missed it
http://www.boxertrix.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... sc&start=0

When I was modifying my air intake it just never occurred to me to run without anything, I guess i've always been in the cold air intake camp and as my bike has always pinked badly in very warm weather i never even considered it. Strangely since modding the intake the pinking has disappeared.

Sometime I'll give it a try and report back , maybe you can lead the way and report back yourself :wink:
( don't use the "it takes too long to remove the panels excuse " There are 14 fasteners at approx 30 seconds each = 7 mins to remove the panels..)

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:53 am

Thanks Phil. I didn't look at every post on the subject - must've missed what I wanted (got fed up after an hour or so - and side-tracked by the juicy threads from February :D ). Ofcourse I suspected that it IS the way forward, but I like to understand the whys and wherefores before shelling out. Obviously need to sharpen my 'search' skills too. BTW, cat long gone, so heading the right way :D

Mike

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:19 pm

simon wrote:I've been running without a snorkel (or induct) for ages... and talking about it when possible..

Sorry Simon, obviously a shite search - must try harder. Will have a butcher's at what you've posted. Cheers.

Mike.

simon

Postby simon » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:34 pm

... no worries.. :wink:

iust read the Sandbar article again linked to by nab..

All I can say is that it seems ok to me with it off, and the air filters last much longer, cos they aren't having crap funneled in.
Don't forget there's still the hole below left front indicator.

I run with a Laser Y and silencers, std paper filter, no induct and the cat code plug (CCP) jumpered to stage 3 I think (search my posts)
plugs seem ok
Plus you can change the filter (and easily see it's state) without lifting the tank.
Simon, now with a third

Yellow '98 R1100S

(..a bit more gimpy tho' [smilie=crutch.gif])

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi Nigel. Thanks for the thread link - that's right to the nub of it. I'll also have a look at Simon's comments on his modded intake. I guess 2 back to back dyno runs with and without snorkel might be interesting, but of limited value as there won't be any 'real world' cool air flow from the front (or am I talking tosh again?). Anyway, I will have a ponder and a fiddle - while I save up for my Lennies :wink:

As to whipping the plastics off - I'm a bloody expert already, what with curiosity, fuel cap seal failure and then battery woes. The hardest bit is finding somewhere to put them so they don't get damaged. Even remembered to reconnect the indicators last time before buttoning up :roll:

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi Simon. Cheers. The CCP thing sounds interesting, WILL have a read. I'm guessing that's all about fooling the ECU so more fuel gets dumped in?

Anyway, first things first: 'big' service (inc. fuel filter and TBs balanced at Studley's in Dorchester - former BMW main stealer technician who comes highly recommended), then a trip to a dyno house in Bournemouth, then the Val Singleton... To quote Marc Marquez, "Step by step we make eet better"

:D

Return to “Boxerspex”