Very solid
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

hjr1100s

Postby hjr1100s » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:32 pm

Ofcourse, you'll do whatever makes you happy. On the R1100S you could say its a sports-tourer and you might decide to emphasise the tourer bit and turn it into a very capable tourer. Look over at the Pelican: I've seen even one with highway pegs :shock: . It won't make it look any better, but it will become a proper touring machine.

But honestly, the R1200S will never become a good tourer: the engine isn't smooth enough for a relaxed ride. The R1100S, R1200R engine (or ST) is definitely more suitable for that.

OTOH: some people turn their Yamaha R1 into a tourer and take it on a trip around the world, so .... the thing is, you'll spoil the looks of it:

HJ

RoLoo

Postby RoLoo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:07 pm

hjr1100s wrote:
But honestly, the R1200S will never become a good tourer: the engine isn't smooth enough for a relaxed ride.

... :?: ...
...no problem over here with the engine's smoothness...
Have a nice day !
Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT
(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:56 pm

I left the 1100S fold for the big traile cos both my back and my knees are fooked.

I had high bars and lowered footrests on my 1100S but it still started to hurt after an hour or so.

If I thought that a modified 1200s would do the job I would have gone down that route.

Nice bike Stevie bo#llocks to the knockers I say.

Bob

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:22 pm

absobloodylutely
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:56 am

Boxadog 2000 wrote:I left the 1100S fold for the big traile cos both my back and my knees are fooked.

I had high bars and lowered footrests on my 1100S but it still started to hurt after an hour or so.

If I thought that a modified 1200s would do the job I would have gone down that route.

Nice bike Stevie bo#llocks to the knockers I say.

Bob

I wish I could take the credit, but the bike is testudograeca's.
In hiatus from motorcycles.

hjr1100s

Postby hjr1100s » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:59 am

RoLoo wrote:
hjr1100s wrote:
But honestly, the R1200S will never become a good tourer: the engine isn't smooth enough for a relaxed ride.

... sais the man who owns a R1200RT next to his R1200SS :?

I rest my case...

HJ

RoLoo

Postby RoLoo » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:07 pm

hjr1100s wrote:
RoLoo wrote:
hjr1100s wrote:

I rest my case...

HJ

...we were talking about engine smoothness...

...the RT is there for two-up touring...
Have a nice day !

Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT

(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:26 pm

Sorry Testudograeca too much red wine as usual :oops:

Bob

testudograeca

Distastefully modified R1200S ?

Postby testudograeca » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:30 pm

Hello again, and sorry for the delay in replying; I've been working double shifts this week.

throttlemeister and hjr1100s,

With regard to the raised 'bars, screen and panniers, I'd like to clarify that I'm not trying to turn my bike into a tourer. That's not to say I won't tour on it, but I realise it will never be comparable with the likes of an RT. I just wanted to make it a little more practical and comfortable.

I broke my back a couple of years ago, and have neck problems from an MTB accident before that (Not that I'm dangerous, or anything like that....), so felt that the 'bars would be a good idea.

Also, I've always liked the look of street bikes with raised 'bars, such as the old Eddie Lawson replica Kawasakis, etc.

I did consider buying an RT, and also a GS. If I'm perfectly honest, I suspect the GS would be a more 'useable' bike for me in standard trim, at least from an ergonomic point of view. I imagine that it would be more comfortable and ultimately more practical too.

The fact is that I like the look of the 1200S (although not as much as the mandarin / graphite 1100S), and I fancied something a bit more sporty looking than the R1200R. I don't doubt that the R1200R is an excellent bike, but I think it looks rather dull. Oddly enough, I've never been too bothered by what a particular bike looks like, and have tended to go for function over fashion. I'm not sure why I was so keen to go for the 1200S; perhaps I'm having a mid-life crisis?

Who knows HJ, perhaps I would enjoy an R1200R more, but I have to say that I'm happy (so far) with my choice, and look forward to spending more time on it.

I've never been bothered by what other people ride, or what modifications they make to their bikes; that's their business. I tend just to do my own thing, and I can't see why it should bother or offend other bikers. That's not to say I haven't made mistakes with bike purchases, builds and modifications in the past - I certainly have, but that's all part of the learning process.

Incidentally, I've been riding (on the road) for 24 years, and have had more bikes than I care to remember, so I consider that I have a good idea of what works for me now.

Don't be surprised if you see my bike up for sale this time next year though!

AJ,

I bought the stand on eBay recently, from this seller - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Motorcycle-Stands-And-Spares (I think he's the same person PBBoxer referred to)

The seller lists a stand for the BMW, but it costs approximately £30 more than my (identical) model, for no apparent reason (perhaps because it's for a BMW, and their owners are made of money, aren't they....?!) I bought the cheapest single-sided stand, plus a 'pin' (as the seller describes it) to suit the BMW hub.

So far I’m generally pleased with it, but when it arrived three of the six bolt holes for the support arm were untapped. Fortunately, I had the correct size tap at home, and was able to correct the problem quickly. The pin to support the rear wheel was also a few thousandths of an inch oversize, and I had to have it turned down by a friend with a lathe. That probably makes the stand out to be really bad, but I am happy with it; the manufacturer stated that the BMW axle pins are normally turned out on a CNC machine, but that he had run out on this occasion and made it by hand. He didn’t have a BMW around to gauge the size, hence the discrepancy.

The bottom line is that I would recommend it, but be aware that it is fairly bulky if space is an issue. The BMW folding stand may be better if that's the case.

budman 200210,

I normally fit a Baglux cover as a matter of course when I buy a new bike, as I think they're ideal for protecting the paintwork. (They're also handy for attaching a bag to) I don't have a matching bag, and probably won't bother buying one. I also bought a BMW waterproof tank bag via eBay last week, and am keen to see what that's like. I plan to store a 2-way radio, mobile phone, MP3 player, etc in my tank bag, so would imagine the BMW one will be better for that purpose.

julian,

Yes, that's my tortoise. His name is Beavis, and we believe he is in excess of 85 years old. We can't be certain of his age because, as you will know, the only way to be sure with a tortoise is to cut it in half and count the rings.

steve*mac,

I also have a Baglux on my VFR -

It fits far better than the one on my BMW (and looks better too), but the shape of the BMW tank / fairing doesn't really lend itself to fitting a cover as well as a conventional tank does.

Thanks for all the comments, good and bad.

Must dash, as the baby needs feeding....

Cheers for now,

Iain
Last edited by testudograeca on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You spent HOW much on it......?!

hjr1100s

Postby hjr1100s » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:25 pm

RoLoo wrote:
hjr1100s wrote:
RoLoo wrote:
hjr1100s wrote:

I rest my case...

HJ

...we were talking about engine smoothness...

...the RT is there for two-up touring...

Your R1200S is chipped / rapid biked: the engine in standard trim just isn't as easy going as the one of the R or ST as I experienced myself. I guess the RT's is similar to those. Like said you can tour a Yamaha R1, but it wont give you a relaxed ride like a ST/R/RT and part of that is due to the engine characteristic.

@testudograeca: didn't mean to offend you. Trust me, I'm too polite to do so. It's just my opinion .... for now. Could easily change when I hurt my back ...

R1200R is a boring bike, but its not too difficult to change it into something more exiting. I've seen some nice examples of what a customized R1200R could look like.

HJ

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:10 pm

Its a shame this thread has ended up being a point of excuse for a couple of people to make unwanted and in my opinion unwarranted remarks. The guy posts a thread about a modified R1200s (HIS BIKE OF CHOICE).

You are of course entitled to your opinions, however why not open a thread and invite BMW Fahrer for a private chat so you can cuddle up and talk into teh early hours?
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

testudograeca

Postby testudograeca » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:19 pm

Don't worry HJ, I wasn't offended - I'm too thick-skinned for that.

Each to their own, and all that...

Cheers,

Iain
You spent HOW much on it......?!

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:29 pm

PBBoxer wrote:Its a shame this thread has ended up being a point of excuse for a couple of people to make unwanted and in my opinion unwarranted remarks. The guy posts a thread about a modified R1200s (HIS BIKE OF CHOICE).

You are of course entitled to your opinions, however why not open a thread and invite BMW Fahrer for a private chat so you can cuddle up and talk into teh early hours?

Well said that man-- Whilst it may not ALL be my cup of tea its NOT MY BIKE!!! Don't think that Alan would agree with the 1200R/Boring comments though!! It may look boring but it goes very well.

Peter.

hjr1100s

Postby hjr1100s » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:26 pm

PBBoxer wrote:Its a shame this thread has ended up being a point of excuse for a couple of people to make unwanted and in my opinion unwarranted remarks. The guy posts a thread about a modified R1200s (HIS BIKE OF CHOICE).

Sorry. 'bout that. My apologies to you and others who I've been annoying. I'll be less blunt next time... .... well, at least try too. Don't send me to the same room as BMWFahrer :(

So to make up, here's what I like about the bike:

the colour scheme. Had a hard time choosing either the black one or the red and silver .... turned out te be a black and silver one.

the Akrapovic exhaust. The looks are better then the price tag. That's why there's a Zard on mine:

The Bagster tankbag cover: nice piece of craftmanship. I wonder, does it cause slight scratches due to minimum movement or is it furbished on the inside with some smooth lining or what?

HJ

[/img]
Last edited by hjr1100s on Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boxerpix”