My belly pan finally painted, and the other mods.

An opportunity to show your bikes in all their glory

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

throttlemeister

My belly pan finally painted, and the other mods.

Postby throttlemeister » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:26 pm

Today, I finally got mt bellypan back from the painters. Of course, partially because I was slacking in bringing it over there, but we'll ignore that part. ;) The painter did a cracking job of it and it really came out nice.

Nicely colormatched Mandarin yellow, and the inside painted silk black.

Close-up of the paintwork, really smooth and mirror finish. No way I could have done this myself, even if had been able to get the correct color.

But it has to get on the bike of course, so on the lift it is and get working!

All done, and ready to Rock 'n Roll. I have to say I am really, really pleased with how this turned out. I loved it before, and love it even more now. Who needs a 12 when you have something like this parked in your garage? ;) :D

I figure I am pretty much done modding my bike. It's a pretty extensive list by now...

- Wide rim
- Sport shocks (with HyperPro springs mounted)
- Short paralever arm
- White lenses all round
- Ilmberger carbon fiber hugger
- Double bubble screen
- Staintune exhaust
- Lennie's CF induct
- FosterRAD chip
- K&N filter
- Datatool alarm
- BCR belly pan
- Braided brake lines front and rear
- Stainless steel bar-end weights
- HyperPro RSC (progressive) steering damper
- HID headlight
- Engine vent relocation
- Full-floating front discs with matching rear

The HyperPro springs on the sports struts work really well. I had the dampers tested and they were ok, but full replacements shocks are still on my wishlist.

The discs are da bomb. Forget what you may think, this is by far the best mod I made to the bike. Major stopping power when you touch the lever. And like right now. My bike is a non-ABS bike, but with these discs it is like having servo brakes. I mean eye popping stopping power. F**k stock discs. F**k wave discs. They aren't even remotely close to what these discs manage, and I tried them all. I actually replaced my favorite DP pads with the OE white pads which are less aggressive to give myself a little time getting used to the brakes really braking. With the DP pads they were so aggressive, I was worried making a very expensive mistake while retraining my brain and fingers to the new situation. Two fingers on the brakes squeezing not even hard and the rear starts feeling loose as it barely skims the road, and that's with the OE pads. Yes, they are a little heavier than the standard setup, and no I can't feel it. And I don't really care because they make the bike stop so unbelievably good. So dramatically better than both the stock and the Braking wave rotors I had. They're expensive, but they are worth every penny and then some.
Gijs

BMW R1100S | homepage | gallery
BMW K1200S 'tri-color ICBM' | ABS/ESA

JoeC

Postby JoeC » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:27 am

I've never been one for belly pans but looks smart.
What colour are your panniers? Thoughts on colour coding them?
No longer a motorcycle owner.

skiddy boxers

Postby skiddy boxers » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:56 am

Gijs

Looks a really good job. I like the way the inside edges have been done.Image

Think it needs some stickers though :wink:
Nick

When life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:36 am

Panniers are regular black, and staying like that. Don't want the bike to become too yellow. :)

Stickers I have, but I am not to sure about putting them up. I kinda like the way it is now.
Gijs

JoeC

Postby JoeC » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:42 pm

How about having the chequered pattern run down to the belly pan?
No longer a motorcycle owner.

leasky

Postby leasky » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:43 pm

The Belly-Pan looks very good indeed.

Can I ask which make it is, where you aquired it from and an approx cost?

I fitted one 2 years ago from Motorworks. It is needing to come off soon and get re-painted as the "square, closed" nose has been attracting every stone-chip the roads in NE of Scotland have to offer me; despite having a Fender Extender.

The "open" nose certainly looks better and will not suffer the same "impact damage" that I have been getting.

On that topic; does anybody have any ideas on which super-dooper substance I could coat the fore-mentioned area in to prevent such paint wear in future?

Plus my one has a "lip" at the rear which would originally have been to skirt the back of the Cat but now all it does is keep stones, small birds and general shite trapped in there untill it gets chucked out by the next hump in the road.

Answers on a Post-Card please..........
Leasky

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:01 pm

I got this one of ebay for about 70 euro's, unpainted. They are usually always on there if you search on R1100S.
Gijs

skiddy boxers

Postby skiddy boxers » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:39 pm

Or if not try a search with R 1100 S.

I have one and they are a good finish on the sides but if you are a fussy b*gger like me then they need a lot of filling and preparation work to the underside :roll:
Nick

Holly

Postby Holly » Sun May 04, 2008 3:41 pm

The belly pan looks really good and I'm keen to get one. I have noticed a number of adverts where the brackets and fixings aren't included. I'm not sure if this is a big problem as I can make most of these up myself. However, I guess it is critical to know where the brackets should attach so you don't overstress the engine casing or frame.
Do you (or anybody else) have photo's of the bike without the pan - but with attaching brackets - to give me a clue about how to go about mounting ?

Thanks

skiddy boxers

Postby skiddy boxers » Sun May 04, 2008 3:58 pm

Even when the ad says brackets are included they seem to be of little use.

Try HERE and HERE

Should tell you all you need to know
Nick

northernboxer

Postby northernboxer » Sun May 04, 2008 5:22 pm

gijs,

have you thought about a set of boxer cup stickers

GARY

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Mon May 05, 2008 4:52 am

I have, and I even have the decals at home. But decided not to.
Gijs

Holly

Postby Holly » Mon May 05, 2008 7:10 pm

Skiddy boxers, you're a star !!!! Thanks very much for the assistance.

I'll keep you posted on progress..... Holly.

Best Wishes

Holly..........

doghouse

Re: My belly pan finally painted, and the other mods.

Postby doghouse » Mon May 05, 2008 7:26 pm

The discs are da bomb. Forget what you may think, this is by far the best mod I made to the bike. Major stopping power when you touch the lever. And like right now. My bike is a non-ABS bike, but with these discs it is like having servo brakes. I mean eye popping stopping power. F**k stock discs. F**k wave discs. They aren't even remotely close to what these discs manage, and I tried them all. I actually replaced my favorite DP pads with the OE white pads which are less aggressive to give myself a little time getting used to the brakes really braking. With the DP pads they were so aggressive, I was worried making a very expensive mistake while retraining my brain and fingers to the new situation. Two fingers on the brakes squeezing not even hard and the rear starts feeling loose as it barely skims the road, and that's with the OE pads. Yes, they are a little heavier than the standard setup, and no I can't feel it. And I don't really care because they make the bike stop so unbelievably good. So dramatically better than both the stock and the Braking wave rotors I had. They're expensive, but they are worth every penny and then some.

How much were the discs if you dont mind telling, also any mods needed to fit them?
All problems can be fixed with the correct application of a big enough hammer.

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Mon May 05, 2008 7:49 pm

No mods needed, but as floaters only available for the 2001 and up (320mm discs). Price was about 270 euro, so about 210 pounds. (that's the same price I offered members in another thread here; I could bypass retail channels. UK retail price is likely to be significantly higher)
Gijs

Return to “Boxerpix”