Hexhead alternator belt.

PRIVATE sales only please.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

milleplod

Hexhead alternator belt.

Postby milleplod » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:13 am

Continental 4PK592 ELAST.......which I believe equates to what BMW refer to as a 582! Brand new.

£10 posted.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

jeznewsome

Re: Hexhead alternator belt.

Postby jeznewsome » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:33 am

Curious as I am looking for one for a service........ why is a 4PK592 equivalent to bmw 582? I am happy to be educated.

The photo I can find online for the belt I need suggests 4PK582 is the part no?

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:56 am

hmm......Is it that the 'elast' belt allows for some flex to enable fitting a belt to fixed centres and therefore may be 10mm longer when stretched? Seems that both contitech '4pk582' and '4-k592 elast' seem to be listed for hexheads?

Having watched a youtube video I suspect that the 'elast' variant is far easier to fit?

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:08 am

A few years ago, I got myself in a bit of a tangle with the belt part numbers - they're all made by Conti, but a Conti-packaged one will have a different number to the identical belt in BMW packaging! Here's the explanation, direct from Continental - I eMailed them asking why the different numbers.

"The Elast designation on a Contitech belt is to show that it has elastic cord members in the belt, this allows the belt to be fitted by stretching into place without any tensioning device or moveable pulleys. Not all manufacturers, especially OE, clearly show on the belt label if the belt is elastic and this can cause confusion. This is especially important as Traditional and Elast belts cannot be interchanged.

To add to the confusion some manufacturers use the production length as the part number and others use the fitted (stretched) length. Because of this it is important to use the cataloguing system to identify the correct belt and not to use the numbers from the old belt.

The Contitech belt will show for information both production and fitted lengths so the belt that you have will be:

4 [number of ribs] PK [rib profile designation] 592 [fitted length] (582) [production length] ELAST [elastic belt brand name]

I have been told previously by our product managers that BMW always gives the production length for elastic belts while we always give the fitted length as our primary number.

The BMW belt 4PK592 equals our 4PK611 (592) ELAST. Production length in brackets.
The BMW belt 4PK582 equals our 4PK592 (582) ELAST. Production length in brackets

Please also note that in many cases a special tool is required to install the Elast belt correctly without damaging the belt or pulleys.

I hope this helps you to identify the correct belt for your bike."

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:49 am

Thanks. And I'll have it if it has not sold already please.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:04 pm

Now sold to Jez, thanks.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Return to “Bits'n'bobs for sale”