Wanted - Front and rear shocks

PRIVATE sales only please.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

buzzz90

Wanted - Front and rear shocks

Postby buzzz90 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:09 am

I'm looking for aftermarket suspensions for my new R1100S.
R1100S / VIN ZA82517 : Image

SP250

Re: Wanted - Front and rear shocks

Postby SP250 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:50 am

Ohlins have stopped making the R1100S specific units but you may be able to obtain the parts through a dealer who can then convert a near similar unit to the R1100S specs. I was told this by two Ohlins dealers (Harris & SSR) last year when I wanted to modify a GSXR1000 unit to fit. Cost was prohibitive though.
Alternatively you will have other options like Wilbers, WP, Nitron etc - you just need to talk to suspension speciallists who can help.
I used SSR suspension in Telford and whilst a nice chap he never answered the phone, he also couldn't strip the other shock I gave him to refurbish and it took a couple of months to get it back. He was too focussed on BSB work to bother with road riders. So for those reasons I would not recommend them, your mileage may differ if you do use them however.
John M

Al

Postby Al » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:24 pm

Do you want new shocks because they are well worn and soggy or want to have a specific type, wilbers etc, I ask as there is a guy on the GS forums that refurbishes original shocks to your spec, very well regarded by the GS world. I have his details if you want to go that route.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

buzzz90

Postby buzzz90 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:27 am

Thanks for the info Al.

My shocks are old and have many miles, and even though they still do their job, I know by experience, that having brand new aftermarket shocks changes the bikes' behavior incredibly.
I'm not a big fan of BMW shock refurbishing. I had a pretty bad experience with this option when I had a K100RS. I went that route and it ended with the bike being unusable for months added to the fact, that I could have had a major failure while riding (fortunately, it happened with the bike stopped).

So, to make my search more precise, I'm looking for low miles aftermarket : Wilbers, WP, Hyperpro, EMC,....
If I don't find good used ones, I'll bit the bullet and buy new ones. :)
R1100S / VIN ZA82517 : Image

Return to “Bits'n'bobs for sale”